“A Memorable Holiday Experience”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This was a mid-winter break that we both needed to re-charge our batteries and it turned out to be a holiday that we will remember for a very long time. Without a doubt this is a top quality resort holiday with exceptional levels of service provided by helpful and caring staff. Our suite was very comfortable and the very wide choice of food in all the restaurants was of good quality and would suit all appetites and tastes. Our only slight disappointment was the barbeque evening when we were a bit late arriving and there wasn't a large selection of food left. (Forgot that the Americans are early eaters and they had cleared up!). All in all a totally chilled holiday and we will definitely return.

9  Thank Graham E

Reviewed 3 February 2012

This was our first stay at a Couples resort and our expectations were very high yet held in check by a lot of research going in. While there was some things I didn't like and will elaborate on later this resort delivered in every aspect and blew us away with its near perfection and attention to detail. We stayed two weeks in a one bedroom beachfront suite, block B with just a lawn and the beach separating us from the ocean. There were many hours spent sitting on that balcony listening to the waves gently lapping on the shore at night with the tree frogs singing their symphony, coffee in the morning watching the resort come to life. There might be better rooms or views but I would not have traded this one for anything.

We arrived late, (10 PM) in between restaurant times and ordered room service, our first of many times. It arrived hot and was much appreciated after a long travel day. We used the room service quite often throughout our stay and it was the absolute best of any resort that we have stayed, breakfast, dinner, snacks on a whim, coffee, ice, wine you name it, room service rocked. Always prompt and friendly.

Our beachfront room also lived up. Our advance check in bar was ready and the room looked very much like the one on the resort website. I had heard the rooms were old and need of a refurbish and I always like to hear that. We have stayed at brand new five star resorts with paper thin walls. "Old resort" to me means thick walls, quiet rooms, privacy, not hearing noise from other rooms and the hallway. We loved our rooms, the bedroom easily closed off by folding glass partitions and two access points to the balcony. Some of the furnishing did need a polish just like ours at home so we felt comfortable right away.

The food was a big part of our experience.The breakfast and lunch buffets at Palazzina were awesome and the lunch theme changed daily. The beach grill offered another lunch option which we loved on casual days with too much libation at the beach. We ate three evening meals at Casanova and Palazzina and two at Bella Vista, every meal was delicious with no complaints. Service was slow when we ate outside at Casanova but the setting was great, a late meal listening to to live entertainment from the Balloon Bar. Great service at all restaurants, a few lapses here and there usually due to bad timing but nothing really to harp on, I wish I could have the worst of their service right now, lol.

The setting of this place is different to what we are used to. We are beach people who usually book a resort based on great beach. We love to walk for miles on the beaches of Punta Cana, and have enjoyed the soft white sand of Negril and the Riviera Maya however this resort carved out of the side of a mountain with all the stairs and lush tropical views captured our imaginations. The small private beach was perfect for us after a busy year working in sales and customer service, no vendors, no jet skiis, an almost surreal quiet at times with most of the surf stopping at the reaf. The drink service on the beach starts at 10 AM and was quite good. I've named names on the comment cards but suffice it to say that all the tenders made us feel good about ordering excessive amounts of drinks at all times of day, a special thumbs up to them.

We walked throughout this amazing place and continually discovered sanctuaries that made us happy. The pond is amazing, all the pools and hammocks, a couple of late nights at the mineral jacuzzi, serenity everywhere, wow.

Every tues. and fri. night they close down all restaurants and have a huge buffet. Tuesday is the beach party and Friday is the Gala. These were the things that I did not like. We are on vacation to relax and get away from our work existence however these nights forced us to sit at a table for six with strangers to have a meal. We always connect with folks in our own way on vacation but this forced situation with everybody herded out to eventually line up like piggies at the trough did not appeal to me twice a week on a two week vacay. You have the room service option which is great, but the resort is called Couples, I didn't see any tables for two. A lot of effort is put into these nights and the food and service is exceptional, it's just not our thing I guess. It's advertised and done well, just not for us.

On our last day my wife looked at me and said, " An almost perfect vacation", that about sums it up. I think of this resort as paradise in a bubble, if a boat pulled up with Roger Moore in a white tuxedo I wouldn't have been surprised, it is classy, comfortable, and a great place to decompress, retro chic at it's finest. I would highly recommend this resort. If anybody has questions please ask. We were made to feel special every day we were at Couples.

Room Tip: B block was great, not a lot of stairs and seconds to most restaurants with a great view and close a...
16  Thank gary1213
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We have been to many resorts and cruises and must say by far this resort is simply amazing. Our rooms were spectacular overlooking the ocean, the food, the service, was out of this world and the staff went above and beyond to do everything possible. It is especially great for honeymooners as there are no children, it is a couples resort only. Not only do they offer catamaran sailing, glass bottom boat with snorkling but we also got the Dunns River Falls excursion as well (at no extra cost). They had two special nights of being pampered with service, food and entertainment (one being there beach party) over and above the regular nights of dinner and entertainment. I can not imagine anyone rating this resort less than 5. Only one downfall to this resort is the stairs, and up hill climbs. I found out the 4th day into the vacation that you could call for a van to pick you up and take you directly to your room. I guess it is not advertised out of concern for the people whom are really in need of it. As one of those people I was a little sore by the 4th day however with the credits received upon arrival I was able to have the full body massages with hot stones (ask for Ruth) , not once but twice which was simply amazing! wonderful resort.... trust me you can not go wrong with this resort.

Room Tip: try to get block a or b it is down on the main area where everything is, less hills to have to climb
7  Thank noarc1
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My husband, I and 2 other couples went to Couples San Souci, Jamicia on Nov 3rd 2011 (had also been in May of 2010). As we pulled up, Evol greeted us with hugs and kisses. How more welcoming could a place be. Secondly, we find out that we had our same rooms as we had requested from Kareta (could not thank her enough). We are feeling like we are at our second home right off the bat! As we walk around, the staff we had met the previos year, greeted us with hugs also. Everyone remembered us. How could this be! It was amazing. Veronique with her quick smile and giggles was soooo refreshing. Evol was so inviting to us and asked if there was anything that we needed dailey (so helpful). Then there was Katyanne! Boy is she GREAT at entertaining. She spent much quality time with us and we enjoyed her emensley! This resort is the most beautiful place I have ever seen (even in magazines). Everyone is so happy; smiling and singing all day. Just being there with them made us all feel as happy as they were. We are planning our trip back for this year in September and cannot wait to see everyone and eat the most wonderful food I have ever to taste (thanks to Andrea and the other chefs). June and Neil Heath Richmond VA

Room Tip: We had our same room both trips but imagine that all of the rooms are wonderful. Beds are more comf...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank June H
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband and I had a great time at this resort. The food was amazing and the service was outstanding. I already bought my next vacation to go back. Loved every minute of it!!

Room Tip: B block was the best!!!
4  Thank kamillaUtah
1.5 km away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!