4,348 results
All reviews mineral pool balloon bar bella vista sunset beach san souci au natural beach main beach b block beachfront suite starlight gala casanova restaurant room service friday night gala nooks and crannies smoothie bar in room dining water sports
Reviewed 25 August 2008

By way of background, I wanted an Island vacation, relaxation, excellent food and tropical grounds. We are both in our early 30's and needed a break from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles. When we started researching our summer vacation, we had decided on three possible islands, none of which were Jamaica. My husband stumbled on information for Sans Souci and after extensive research, we completely changed our plans.

We choose Sans Souci because the grounds appeared amazing, the food received good reviews and the hotel itself did not look like a large/bland chain hotel. We stayed from 7/30 - 8/5

Rooms: We booked a one bedroom ocean suite, with balcony. It was very important for use to have an amazing view, as we wanted to spend some of our evenings simply looking over the ocean and drinking wine. We were initially placed in D block (some of the rooms seemed to have amazing views, ours did not). We did not complain but our wonderful bellman (Nico) noticed that we were checking out the balcony. He said he would make a call to the front desk and show us a few different rooms to see if we liked any of the others. He took us to G16, on the cliff. The view was amazing, looking over the mineral pool with a clear shot to the ocean. We had a table with two chairs and a large chaise lounge on the balcony. The balcony was large enough that I did not feel like we even had any neighbors. The actual room itself looked like it had been updated. Nice bed, good size bathroom. Overall the room was as I expected, but the balcony/view is beyond words.

Food: I am extremely picky. My husband has given up on taking me to Mexico b/c of the food issues I have. No problems here. Loved the food. We had great jerk chicken at the beach bar/grill and loved our dinners at Casanova and Bella Terra. Even though Casanova is the nicer restraunt I loved Bella Terra for its location on the beach, good selection of Jamaican food and our server Maureen.

Atmosphere: We have never been to an AI, so we were not sure what to expect. We spent most mornings on the beach, under either a palapa or one of the trees. One of the most relaxing things was taking the floaty into the ocean. While I have heard the beach is not as nice as Negril, it was just perfect. You are completely secluded from any other resort and you feel like it is your own private island. I absolutely loved the feeling of seclusion. The grounds were unbelievable. There were so many beautiful stair cases and quiet areas throughout the resort Since we were in the G block, we had a long walk to the pool and always took advantage of exploring different paths. We did not partake too much in the night life, other than to have a few drinks after dinner at either the beach bar or balloon bar.

Overall: Wonderfully romantic. I was more relaxed than I have ever been. I appreciated seeing the GM walking the grounds and mingling with the guests. The overall pace of the hotel was perfect, very relaxing, no spring break feel, but still plenty of friendly people to talk to and activities.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank catc
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Bottom line this place was great. The layout is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food was excellent. The only part that gave us grief was Air Canada, but thats to be expected, I wish we had other choices from Canada.

We went to relax and do nothing and thats exactly what we got. I had zero stress, there were no issues getting dinner times, no problems going diving or snorkleing (some people went every day) Biggest problem I had was trying to decide on what to eat or what drink to order. The entertainment was actually pretty good, I was impressed.

In the end, based on what we heard about the other resorts from other people, this was the best place to be. We would definitly go back to sans souci if we go back to Jamaica.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank superchop
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have been a Couples Negril die hard loyalists for years and would never consider going any where else until...I stll LOVE CN..My wife Peggy and I have hosted a Annual Couples USA 10 0 C Par Ta for the past three years..We usually have between 15 and 20 couples that attend..Most have already been to a Couples resort..

Well,seems like several of the ladies,Mzambo,Nazie and Kamp95, wanted to try CSS instead of Couples Negril...They supplied me with several Salty Dogs and I agreed to try CSS in 2008....For many months afterward, I tried and tried to wiggle my way out of this..They held me to my drunkun word..Not fair,huh?

NOW..CSS Couples Sans Souci.

I'm not great with words so bear with me.

CSS's GM Mr Pierre Battaglia is an outstanding,on the ball,hard working and caring man..His actions trickled down thru everyone of his employees.
The resort is drop dead beautiful..Second to none.
The service was outstanding,
The food was fresh,tasty and plentiful.
The employees were extremely friendly,smiling,thoughtful and caring.
The suites were very beautiful..We went with six other couples and we all stayed in different buildings but we all got together and did a tour of everyone's room..All were very clean with great and different views.

I 'highly" recoomend CSS..Couples Sans Souci and can not wait to return..I plan to SNEAK over there from CTI next January..Just gotta go back,look around and get me some employee hugs.

CSS...Couples Sans Souci..Oh,how I love typing these words.

Hugs

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
14  Thank tommywommy
Reviewed 16 August 2008

This is a difficult review to write. On one hand, we really enjoyed our vacation. The food at San Souci was delicious. Probably the best of all the all inclusives we've been to (We've been to Sandals, Gran Bahia, and Secrets Excellence on previous trips). The beach is small but very relaxing. Even on the busiest days, we were able to find chairs quickly and the beach never felt very crowded. The mineral pool was very peaceful, and we really enjoyed the sunsets. The rooms are very outdated though, so that is downfall. The main pool, compared to other resorts we stayed at, is on the small side. There are some very friendly staff members there. Fabian the fitness instructor was great. Dwayne the beach bartender kept us entertained for hours with his tricks and games. Kerine and Jason were some of the best wait staff we have ever encountered! If we were allowed to tip, we would have given them a 25% tip without a doubt in our minds. Their service was THAT good!

BUT, here's where it turns to the worst. We had read that the safes in the rooms can easily been broken into. So, I had hidden my IPod, Bose Noise Reduction Headphones, and my cell phone in my dirty laundry bag at the bottom of my suitcase. Nevertheless, it was still stolen. The fact that my personal items were stolen from me despite being hidden away indicates that this resort has a theft problem. They have employees that will go out of their way and rummage through people's personal belongings to find things they can steal. This is a very unsettling feeling to say the least. I feel extremely violated. It's my first day back from vacation and instead of feeling relaxed, I'm upset and angry. It basically ruined my vacation. It's one thing if we left the items out in the open in the room but the fact that they were hidden amongst smelly laundry shows how desperate Couples San Souci employees are willing to go.

I'm not sure if I will go back to Couples Resort or Jamaica in general due to this, but if you do go, please make sure to leave anything valuable at home, or bring a lock for your suitcase to lock your personal items in. OR --- go to another country where theft isn't such a problem. We never had any issues in Dominician Republic, Mexico or St Lucia.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Maggs8888
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My husband and I along with 24 friends and family visited Couples Sans Souci July 23 -29, 2008. The majority of the group flew together from San Francisco into Jamaica. Flight was typical, not super comfortable but we were eager to arrive at the resort so the little discomfort that I felt on the plane really didn't matter. The last time that we visited Jamaica was in 2004, lots of improvements have been made to the airport. Once we arrived at the Couples lounge we were greeted with drinks. The guys at the lounge were waiting for our group to arrive. Buses were waiting to take us to the resort. If you've never traveled from Montego Bay to Ochos Rios be prepared for the 2 hour drive. And Jamaican's do not drive anything like Americans... they have a weird system of honking and flashing their lights, they cut each other off a lot too. We stopped at a rest stop half way through the drive; the place sold jerk chicken and other stuff. Didn't purchase any of the chicken so i have no idea if it was good or not.

Checking in the resort was easy. The lobby is very open and we were greeted with cool cloths to wipe our faces with, champagne or rum punch(can't really remember all I know was it was cool and had alcohol in it) and cookies.

We got a room in the D block . I was very pleased with the room we had a view of the beach, the ocean and the Palazzina restaurant. The room was very clean, no tub but we did have a really large shower, two flat screen TVs, a couch, the mini bar was fully stocked daily. It was great. Each night our bed was turned down for us and petals were placed on the bed in the shape of a heart or something cute like that. Housekeeping did an awesome job; I never had any issues.

The grounds are perfectly maintained. Each morning a tractor rakes the sand on the beach. The chairs were always clean. The beach is small but it is private. You will not see any local residents on the beach and definitely no vendors. The beach was never crowded when we were there. The hotel was sold out the week we were there but you would never know it. There are so many beautiful places to sit and relax. The property is huge. Beware of the steps. There are many steps all over the place. It's good exercise though, so it really didn't bother me. The steps are what make the place more charming.

Must do's: get a full body massage and make sure you request an ocean view. Nothing compares to having a complete body massage, listening to the waves crashing against the rocks, feeling the breeze blowing through the hut with the faint sounds of a saxaphone playing. Ahhh, it was a heavenly experience! I heard that the sunset is really beautiful at the Nude Beach. I never got to catch it while I was there (next time I will though!). If you've never been to Jamaica, make sure that you take the Dunn's River Falls trip. Make sure you attend the Friday Night Gala; it was beautiful, great food presentation. The singer was okay; the guy with the band and the silk outfits sung much better. The Beach Party on Tuesday night was fun; great entertainment during dinner was really good. Only thing I didn't like was the bat that decided to crash at our table. And you HAVE to try the Bob Marley. The first one burns when it goes down, but after a few of them you become a little numb to that feeling...

The staff, especially the Social Acitivities team, were the best. Derven, Nolan, Aldane, Kimberly, and Simone took great care of our group. They partied with us, showed us new dances, took us to Margaritaville, made flaming Bob Marley's, helped us celeberate two birthdays and an 30th wedding anniversary. They helped us to make this trip one of the best that we've taken to Jamaica. Because of their hospitality, I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: July 2008