“Wedding at Royal Plantation”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 20 December 2006

My husband and I were married at the Royal Plantation on May 26, 2006. I had the wedding of my dreams. The staff were wonderful and very attentive. We met with our wedding coordinator, David, who was very professional and help us to plan every minor detail of the ceremony. We had the Royal wedding package which included a couples massage, private dinner on night with our choice of location, champagne breakfast, wedding hairstyle, manicure, pedicure, bridal attendant, and much more. I could go on forever trying to describe every detail, but all in all the wedding was absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I would recommend anyone considering this resort for a wedding, honeymood, or romantic getaway. The food was very good. The room was kept very clean. We had the honeymoon luxury grande suite, which I would recommend. It was very large with an amazing balcony. The balcony is where we chose to have our private dinner. It was magical as were could hear the band playing for the terrace as well as the sounds of the sea. The Royal Plantation exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank 05Jamaicabride
Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed 18 December 2006

My wife and I got married at the Royal Plantation on December 11th. We stayed 8 days and enjoyed it all, with the exception of our fear it would rain on our outdoor wedding. Somehow, though, the wedding coordinator, David, took care of that as well. I have to tell you I have never been more impressed with how someone deals with the pre-wedding environment more than David and others at the hotel. He smiled through ours as well as another while there. While I know there are times that test a person, he did very well.

In regards to the staff in general, I cannot say enough. Everyone was very nice. You get such great service at this resort. The others that attended the wedding stayed at the Ritz in Montego Bay so I had a chance to go there before the wedding. While it is a nice place, it is large and I am certain you do not get the same attention there you would get at the Royal Plantation. The only thing about the Ritz I did like was the fact the White Witch Golf Course. That is the best course on the island. Very scenic.

The accommodations were great at the Royal Plantation and can say they are better than that at the Ritz as I saw a couple of rooms there. The food is very good at the Royal Plantation particularly at the Papillion restaurant.

The beach, while small, is plenty large enough to handle the lower number of people who stay there at any one time. The beach at the Ritz is not much larger and they have hundreds more people.

Definitely, the RP is the place to go. I hope to return there in the future. Our wedding was very special due to the location and the work of David and, of course, my beautiful bride.

I would recommend RP for those not looking for a wild night life. It is intended to be more personal than many other large resorts. The quality is there however. They also have a very nice spa which I enjoyed as well.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Catman77382
Reviewed 12 December 2006

We really enjoyed this resort.

The pros:
1. Comfortable, clean and cozy rooms with great views. Loved the comfortable beds and sleeping to the sound of the ocean.
2. The food was very good especially at Le Papillon.
3. Great spa.
4. Very good service. The staff really makes sure that you enjoy your vacation.
5. Terrific relaxing atmosphere if you're looking to completely unwind. No kids and a quiet low key night life. RP is not a party resort.

Possible cons (although these weren't for us):
1. Small beach (which is common in Ocho Rios). Actually 2 beaches. Most people stay on the west beach. You won't have much privacy from others on the west beach but you should have no problem finding a spot. Great service here and it's very close to the beach side restaurant and bar. The east beach is much more quiet, but is near the water sports area and becomes shady rather quickly.
2. Stairs to access beach. The only way to access the beach is by stairs. May be a problem if you're elderly or handicapped.
3. Small pool. Big enough to take a dip and cool off and that's about it.
4. Golf Course. Not a high quality course and very few views of the ocean. Adequate if you need to play a round but it won't be memorable. Located about 20 minutes from the resort.
5. Drive from and to the airport. 2 hours by car from Montego Bay.

Overall:
RP is a nice quiet resort and a perfect place to unwind and reconnect with your significant other. Our days became routine and opposite our normal everyday lifestyle. Our typical day: up early, nice breakfast, day at the beach, afternoon tea, an early evening spa treatment, dinner at Le Papillon, an after dinner cocktail, followed by a great night sleep (open your french doors so you can listen to the ocean as you sleep).

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank 44NYY44
Reviewed 12 December 2006

Ok, prepare yourself for the road trip, as much as people warned me I didn't really think it would be a 2 hour trip from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios, but it was. The roads are under construction, the drivers are crazy, you could care less about the scenery, you just want to get to your resort!!! Ok, now that's out of the way. From the minute you pull up to the door at Royal Plantation you are impressed. It is immaculate, the staff is so gracious, polite, friendly and anxious to make your stay memorable. We wanted small, intimate, adults only, good food, nice accomodations, pretty water, everything you saw in the brochure was true to life. We picked a nice quiet week so there was no crowding, but the facilities, the restaurants, etc. are ample to accomodate any size. We are use to Mexican hospitality and I will say the staff at the Royal Plantation out did themselves. Wonderful people. It was glorious to have your Mango Mosa served to you every morning, and the beach staff took care of your every need, they wouldn't even let you move a chair yourself. Water sports were fun, evening entertainment was light, background music. You had your own private bar, rooms were very quiet. I would definately go back and would highly recommend. Bring plenty of pretty clothes, this is definately a place to dress up for.

4  Thank jackieclark
Reviewed 11 December 2006

Over Thanksgiving week we traveled to the all-inclusive resort in Ocho Rios called the Royal Plantation for our belated honeymoon trip. While Mark and I enjoyed each other's company immensely, I promised myself that I would write a review of the "Plantation" from a New Yorker's point of view because the knowledge I now have might help many "city" couples make their travel decisions in the future.

Out of our 8 days there, we counted a total of 4 hours of sunshine. The persistent downpours ruined any chance of enjoying the beach, watersports, the casual grill and the Jacuzzi. I don't blame the hotel for the rain, but I would think that they could weatherproof their bar and grille down by the beach so we could have had more options for food. That grill was closed every night we were there.

The only other options for food were the main glorified cafeteria (Royal Grill) where a meal for two easily cost $150 or their formal French restaurant where a jacket was required. Considering that my husband (who is also a musician) got turned away one night at the cafeteria for improper dress, you can assume that we never made it to La Papillon. The food we had was tasty, although looking at the same menu every single day was a bummer. They also seemed to have an issue with running out of things, like soups, blueberry muffins, etc.

The hotel itself was lovely - not as lovely as the website and brochures portray, but it's nice. The lobby and common area is quite relaxing with nice service (Owane was an excellent host/server). I was however, very disappointed to realize that the hotel had no beach real estate. I was looking forward to morning jogs on the sand, but here, I could literally jog about 10 strides before I hit a wall dividing hotel properties.

Our hotel room was my favorite part of the resort. We had a great view, an awesome sitting area and a wide selection of movie channels (not to mention free DVD rentals) and turndown service. On our second night there, we were delighted to find a bottle of chilled champagne, chocolates and a $50 gift certificate on our night stand as a honeymoon gift from the management team. My husband loved the big canopy bed and slept well (I never sleep well away from home, so you can take is word for it).

Nightlife at The Plantation is non-existent. After 11 the place is silent. We thought on several occasions that we must have been missing something because it was dead at such an early hour, but that's just how it is there. Considering a cab ride to Ocho Rios is $25 for a 5 minute ride, not too many people were heading out.

Speaking of Ocho Rios... if you are a city person, you will definitely not appreciate downtown Ocho Rios. It's basically a port for Cruise Ships, so they've dedicated a block to a shopping area for those folks that includes a tacky Magaritaville Bar and Grill. Outside of the shopping area, it's pretty seedy with cheap tourist shops... not somewhere I'd want to go after night fall.

The Freebies! Yes... we took advantage of all the free perks. Every day we were entitled to a free mango mimosa in the morning and free afternoon tea with snacks! We also participated in the Monday manager's cocktail hour and Martini night a couple days later.

The Royal Plantation is a spa resort, but considering that we were trying to do 8 days for 4K, the $200 massage treatments didn't fit in the budget. I spent a lot of time at their modest fitness center (2 elliptical machines, 3 treadmills, 1 stationary bike) due to the rain and lack of real estate in which to run.

The day we left was quite pleasant. We were presented with an accurate bill of itemized charges (European plan) and a private car with refreshments to take us to the airport. We felt that the place was intimate enough that we knew each of the managers and they all made an effort to say thank you and farewell.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
87.5 km away
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!