“Great time at the Plantation”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 24 January 2007

Just returned from The Royal Plantation, stayed there two weeks, Jan 5-19. Had a great vacation. Let me give my honest review of the hotel. Georgous grounds, rooms, common areas, resturants, spa, lobby area. Beach was very beautiful, but very small. No long walking beaches in Oche. The main ingredient at this hotel is the staff. From the manager, Peter, who makes himself known to all, to the gardner pulling weeds from a flower bed, all were great. They truly make the property what it is. The food was very good for a caribean vaction. We have much better food in the states, so it is hard to do better, but they sure do try. Nice presentation, good service, very expensive. We were not on the Royal Plan for good reason. We wanted to venture out and try some of the local places. And we did. Had some very good meals and some lousey ones also. We had several meals at the hotel, and they were good. The Royal Plan is nice if you are only going for a few days. The menu does not change. After a few days it can get borring. We are not big drinkers, so we paid the per drink price when we chose to drink. Went to the grocery in town for water and snacks. It was fun to shop at the "General"
Going to town is very easy, a 20 minute walk or a quick cab ride.
Shopping is typical bargining and negotiation. Also fun.
The Spa was great, had a couple of very nice massages, was able to work out some at the gym. Had enough equiptment to burn off what you eat. The weeks we were there, the weather was poor. we had rain every day, some days more that others.
we were able to get some beach in most days.
It was truly a very relaxing vacation. Would be happy to answer any questions or concerns anyone might have.

Stayed: January 2007
12  Thank Cobakrboy

Reviewed 20 January 2007

I stayed here in February of 2006 and I find myself contemplating a return. An educated country girl, I have traveled the world and this place won a special place in my heart for it's refined yet friendly atmosphere. The Jamaican people are warm just like those of us from the south. The afternoon tea was something I looked forward to everyday. I scarcely missed a one! Unfortunately my mother has accustomed me to the finest bed linens and the Royal Plantation did not disappoint here either. The towels and toiletries both were luxurious. The food was superb at every meal. Try the Vichy!
When my mother and I arrived we explained that I was suffering from a life threatening illness and we had just had a death in the family. The staff took this information and accomodated us in the most courteous ways. Many small touches were obvious to both of us. Extra flowers and facial tissues helped the grief and the extra helpings of food after I couldn't keep my dinner down were greatly appreciated. They also offered extra pillows to ensure my comfort. If you go make sure you get a picture of the peacocks, who, despite their presence, did not disturb us. I could not hear noises from other rooms. Soundproofing is a must for total relaxation. Every room is ocean front and luxurious!
After writing this review I have convinced myself to return! What was I thinking to even consider anywhere else! Blessings to all!

• Stayed: January 2007
12  Thank elijellie
Reviewed 15 January 2007

My husband and I researched for weeks before we decided to spent our honeymoon at theRP, Jamaica. Initially, we wanted to go to St. Brths or Barbados, but it seemed that the RP had everything we wanted: a nice beach, good food, and excellent service. We had a fabulous time and the hotel exceeded all our expectations. Our room and our bathroom were beautiful and clean. The food was mostly great, and although it was not the best food we ever had, we enjoyed all three restaurants very much. The atmosphere was great and the live music was fun and relaxing. The service and the pampering were extraordinary!!! Every staff member went out of their way to make us feel special and comfortable. We felt pampered every minute of our trip, and they made our honeymoon memorable with special touches. We booked one of the bundles that included a massage on the beach and a dinner on the Pier. Both were incredible and we highly recommend them. We also did two excursions "Sweaming with dolphins", which was disappointing considering that the actual interaction with the dolphins lasted about 1 minute; and horseback riding in the water which lasted 5 minutes. We regretted doing both, because they were very turisty and we spent most of the time waiting in line. We would have been better off sailing for free at our hotel or enjoying the beaches of the RP and their hospitality. We definitely plan to go back.

Minor issue: If you are not a smoker, ask for a room close the ocean so that you don't get other people smoke in your room. The ocean breeze carries the smoke and if you leave your window open it can get in.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank elena71
Reviewed 3 January 2007

Royal Plantation, SIMPLY PARADISE…

My husband and I just spent 8 days at RP (12/23/06-12/30/06). The one word that best describes RP is PARADISE. There are other words that describe this resort, such as, 5 star, impeccable service, delicious food, and amazing staff, but “paradise” is the best to sum it all up.

After reading the reviews on trip advisor.com, I knew that RP was the place that would satisfy our needs for our Christmas vacation, but what I didn’t expect was that I would want to book again for next year and then again for the year after that! Yes, it IS that amazing and I highly recommend RP for those people who are looking for an upscale, R&R, romantic vacation.

My husband and I opted to take the “TIM AIR” charter flight from Montego Bay airport to Ocho Rios instead of the car service that RP provides to the resort. If you can swing it, this is the way to go. It costs approximately $600.00 round trip, but it is well worth it.
It saves you about an hour or so travel time. It’s about a half hour flight vs. a 2 hour bumpy/scary car ride. Although I hear the road from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios will be much improved soon, the charter flight is also a beautiful way to see the coast. Word has it that since the cricket tourney will be held in Montego Bay this year, Jamaica is working very very hard to get the roads in shape for the people who will be attending.

We arrived at the resort to a staff of greaters, whom already knew our names, and escorted us to a comfy love seat in the beautiful lobby area. Immediately we were asked if they could get us something to drink (we hadn’t even checked in yet)…..2 seconds later I am drinking a mimosa, my husband is drinking a grey goose and we are wiping our brows with a cold refresher towel. At this point I knew this was going to be a great vacation.

Our room had the most incredible view. It truly took my breathe away every morning.
We were booked in a Premium ocean front suite on the east side of the property. All of the suites are ocean front, most NOT with walk out balconies. This is just fine though, because the sitting area in this room is a step down with a sliding French door that opens to the water giving the feeling you are actually out on a balcony. On our next visit to RP we will definitely try the Honeymoon suite with the walk out balcony.
The room attendants were very good. The room was kept immaculate and clean the entire stay, with them tending to your suite twice a day. Can’t sleep with the pillow on your bed? No need to worry, you can try 5 other pillow types form the pillow menu.
The beds at RP are simply like sleeping in the clouds.

The staff at RP is highly skilled in satisfying your every need, and that is just what they do. There was not a request that was not fulfilled our entire stay. They are all so very friendly as well. Carl, Lenmore, and so many more who just could not do enough for us.
Please do introduce yourself to Peter Frazier, the general manager at RP. He is the best. He made our stay that more special by his little surprises….a special room service dinner that was amazingly delicious, a red rose just to say Hi and hope you are enjoying your stay, to him just enjoying a cocktail with you at the bar.

My husband and I were on the Royal Plan. This basically includes EVERYTHING with the exception of Spa treatments and those very high end wines and champagnes, but does include all top shelf liquors’. For my husband and I, the royal plan was well worth it.
The restaurants at RP were very diverse and the food was very good. We never felt that we were seeing the same menus day in and day out. There are 3 dining choices. We ate at all of them. The Royal Cafe (daytime) and The Royal Grill (night time)….outdoors along the beach. This is the casual dining area and offers salads to burgers during the day to T-bone steaks at night….very good. La Terrazza is the dinning area outside the main building on the verandah. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed dining there, under the starts at night to the sounds of the live dinner music. The dinner menu was Italian cuisine and very tasty. We were fortunate enough to experience a Jamaican chef, Oji JaJa , that RP had come in to prepare a special lunch smorgasbord . It was incredible. All you could eat, Lobster, Shrimp, salads, bananas foster. This was a real treat. And then there is Le Papillion, very fine French cuisine. Although the service the first night dining there was very slow, the food was very good. We did go again later in the week and the service was impeccable.

The evening prior to our departure my husband and I booked a couples massage on the beach at sunset….It just doesn’t get any better!!

RP is a small boutique resort. It is very quaint with beautiful grounds.We can not wait to go back to RP. If you are looking for a quiet, R&R, 5 star, romantic vacation with service second to none, Royal Plantation is the place for you.
I hope you find it to be as special as we did

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18  Thank DDLanghorne
Reviewed 27 December 2006

This was the most beautiful place for our honeymoon. We visited on November 12th-19th 2006. Cool Dave aka David Cambell picked us up from the airport with some drinks and a seemingly short ride to Royal Plantation. We loved him so much that we called him later in the week to take us around Jamacia. We went to the Wassi Art Gallery (which I highly recomend), and he took us to Fern Gulley as well. He is a wonderful tour guide! Make sure you ask for him.
The food was wonderful although by the end of the week we were a little tierd of the same thing. I definately recomend the royal plan. I can't imagine not being on the royal plan because 1 small glass of ice tea was 4.50 each.
The spa is great. Please make sure you ask for Karen Greene. She became a good friend and we still keep in touch. She gives the greatest massage! Take advantage of the steam shower and sauna. You are free to use it at anytime and they also have amazing complimentary hot tea while you relax.
We enjoyed the Royal Plantation so much and we hope to visit it again soon. If you have any quqestions about the Royal Plantation please feel free to e-mail me at spsk24@msn.com.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank fireflyspk
87.5 km away
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!