4 people have started booking this hotel
Orbitz.comUS$603
CheapTicketsUS$603
TravelocityUS$603
3,604 results
All reviews lotus leaf crossing guard beach grill chefs table lotus restaurant treehouse style coffee bar day bed jerk chicken tree frogs piano man away from the road tree house private beach bloody bay small resort our honeymoon
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 November 2021 via mobile

This is pretty long. I stayed at the property 11/15-11/19. Room 717, which was a suite. I went to celebrate my 50th birthday with a group of 5. I chose Jamaica because of the COVID testing requirements. I chose the property because I didn’t want a crowded resort.

Arrival: I will ALWAYS pay for Club MoBay from this point on when I travel to Jamaica! They fast tracked us through
immigration/customs and we were seated in a lounge with food and cocktails within 15 minutes. The van took about 1.5 hours of typical Jamaican driving to get us to
the property. I got a call and text from Nexus and the
concierge prior to arrival.

There was a curfew of 9 pm.

Check In: It was quick. We we’re greeted by staff and offered drinks. We were walked to our 3 rooms. We were not told where the ice machine was or shown any other amenities.
Room/property: The property is well kept. Very tropical
and tranquil. I chose it because it was unique. Room 717 was a suite in the back of the property. It was extremely dark in some places at night. I had a birthday sign on my door on day 2. My neighbor joked that they just took it off his door. He did say he got a bottle of champagne- I did not. There were two twin beds, a fridge, bathroom and outside sitting area on the main level. Upstairs was a queen bed, bathroom, closet and deck with a hammock and couch. The room needs some updating. The blinds did not work so I propped them open during the day. There was not a lot of lighting in the room or bathroom. The air conditioner was perfect. The shower was had two mismatched shower heads and four wall nozzles that sprinkled out water. One of the TVs stopped working one day. Maintenance came quickly and ended up bringing another tv. My roommate had bees entering through the bathroom window (I’m allergic!) They came quickly and put netting in the window.
The walls are thin and we could smell whenever the neighbors were lighting up.

Phone service/WiFi: HORRIBLE. WiFi was down or spotty the entire week. Therefore, there was NO PHONE SERVICE on the entire resort. You could not call room to room, the front desk, NOTHING. So, we couldn’t communicate with our friends without going to their room. A listened as a guest complained because he was unable to work without the WiFi. I shook my head when they told him they were working on it. It was day 4 without WiFi for us.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL! The best part of the property. The crossing guard walks you across the busy street and then it’s a short walk to paradise! There is someone to greet you and get chairs and towels set up for you. There are always chairs. They were out of towels at the pool and beach most of the time. The rest rooms are clean and only a short walk. The beach food was mediocre. The jerk chicken was disappointing. Compared to Secrets and other resort beach food, it was the worst I’ve had. The drinks were great. Servers would constantly come around, but the wait was a little long to get your good. By day three, they gave us flags to wave so they knew we needed something. BRING A BEACH FLOAT.

Food: I’m a foodie. I was disappointed by the food service. I’d emailed the property about a week and a half prior asking for reservations for the Lotus Room and Chef’s Table for my birthday. They responded with the days and times available. I sent them my requests. I did not find out until I got there that none of my reservations were made and they were full. We ate at the Palm each day for breakfast. Breakfast was the best meal of the day so we made sure to go every morning. Great omelettes and pancakes. If you ordered the salmon and bagel plate- you may get an English muffin or blueberry bagel. Seems like they just grabbed any bun. The bacon was the best and they ran out of it by 930 each morning. The coffee bar is nice and I had coffee and rum cream every morning. The traditional Jamaican night was only one night and was
average. I had escovitch fish which was just fried fish with the vegetables on top.
Room service was available for a $15 fee. There were no buffets. Dessert was nothing special.
Patrick and Kadian-the property manager were apologetic about them not making my reservations and told us they could get us into the chef’s showcase AFTER we made arrangements to eat off property. After 4 days of mediocre meals, I was skeptical about the “showcase”. They had the chef tell me what was on the menu and I wasn’t impressed. I declined having dinner on property and we went to Ivan’s and had the best food we’d eaten since arriving on the island. They send a taxi for you- the concierge made the reservation but somehow didn’t confirm the taxi- and you pay the taxi for return.

Travel: We saw advertisement in the lobby that they left for shopping each day at 10. This is not a free service. Omar was our driver and was great. We had him for several hours.
We paid $20 per person. We went to three shopping areas and Rick’s cafe. Rick’s was nice. They don’t dive unless you tip them. So I did and it was worth it!

Entertainment: A piano player comes about 3 days a week and leaves at 9. That’s it. Nothing else.

Service: The servers were extremely nice! I know they are overworked, but always had a smoke on their face. And we saw some for breakfast, lunch, poolside, on the beach and at the bar! Almarie was the best! Her laugh is contagious. Alicia was also a joy each day. There is no ATM on property so I know that
may cut into any tips you want to give.

Drinks: No Topshelf liquor. The drinks are STRONG. Pina coladas, rum punch, lemon drop martinis. No complaints in this area. Kurt was a good bartender.

Massage: I think I had Brenda. You choose outside or inside. Outside is outside where people can walk by and you hear traffic. So bring headphones. The massage was AWESOME.

Bottom line: I’ve been to Jamaica more than 10 times. I wouldn’t choose this property again. The food needs improvement. They need to add native food to every menu everyday. Jamaican breakfast would’ve been
great. They need to figure out their reservation and concierge situation. I didn’t realize Aisha was MY
personal concierge until day 3. They need to update the rooms a little. They should give you a map to the property. If you are coming to disconnect and relax, this is the place. No frills, nothing fancy, just basic.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank fsudelta
Kamarla Simms, General Manager at Sunset at the Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2021

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor. We have noted all highlighted points.

We will be sure to share your review with the team.

Reviewed 22 November 2021

My wife and I spent 7 nights at The Palms. It was a perfect vacation. Great food, beautiful sunsets, and a wonderfully sandy beach.

Our “lodge” was surrounded by palm trees, and lush vegetation.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

I cannot say enough about the great time we had. Thank you!

2  Thank U8547PDmarkl

Thank You "U8547PDmarkl" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.

We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to hosting you once again.

Reviewed 20 November 2021

The hotel is beautiful , the staff from the gate , the front desk , kitchen , the beach , the pool just the best customer service all around . The food and rooms are the best . This hotel give the best laid-back vibe. Someone is always closeby to offer a helping hand. The beach across the road is clean and well kept . Highly recommend must stay again

2  Thank 49damanig
Kamarla Simms, General Manager at Sunset at the Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2021

Thank You "49damanig" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 20 November 2021 via mobile

Our experience was incredibly positive. The staff were friendly and professional. Their warmth added to our stay. Our room was romantic and cozy. The food was well prepared. The beach was easily accessible and there was a guard with a stop sign that helps guests to safely access. The sunsets were divine. We are looking forward to future visits.

3  Thank TheKhels

Thank You "TheKhels" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 15 November 2021

My husband and I stayed at Sunset at the Palms for 5 nights in November 2021 and it was a very restful trip. We are both introverts and parents to a toddler and a preschooler, so all we wanted was a quiet resort and this fit the bill. Here are my big notes from our trip:

- The Beach
Pros: It was absolutely lovely. Walking across the street to get access was not a big deal at all and once we were down there it was always easy to find a spot and the lifeguard on duty was quick to grab you chairs, a table, and towels. There are also a lot of floats that past guests have left that you can grab for the water. Finally, the water sports are great - we did the peddle boat and loved it!
Con: There were a lot of beach vendors, they were always polite and respectful of space, but it could get to be a bit much throughout the day. Also, the bar doesn’t open until 10:00.
Tips: if you’re an early riser, get to the beach early and you’ll get a front row seat. Definitely bring an insulated cup for drinks! Also, bring a beach bag with you (or spend $30 on one in the gift shop like we ended up having to do).

-The Pool
Pros: it’s super quiet and you never have a problem finding a chair. The design is great because you don’t feel like you’re right on top of the other guests. The swim up bar is already really nice, the jacuzzi was relaxing, and the towels were always warm.
Cons: The pool doesn’t seem to be heated so it can feel chilly depending on the day. Also, since it’s so quiet, it can be a bit awkward sitting at the pool bar.
Tip: You can order lunch at the coffee cafe and have it delivered to you at the pool

- The Rooms
Pros: You can’t beat the design! The treehouse style is so private and unique. We loved sitting on our balcony on the lounger during our daily afternoon rain shower. Also, the windows are all screens with shutters over them, so you can hear the sounds of nature at night to help you sleep (con for some).
Cons: While I am so happy the room had AC, we could NOT figure out how to use it and no matter how high we turned the temp it was always frigid in our room. The shower is meant to be luxurious with different spouts, but it was difficult to work and it seemed to flood the bathroom every time we used it. Also, yes, what other reviewers have said is true, we did find a cockroach in our bathroom one night, but it was by no means crawling with bugs. It was absolutely gross, but it’s a tree hut, so it’s not exactly shocking.
Tip: Have housekeeping come every day to keep the space clean to avoid bugs.

- The Food / Restaurants
Okay, here’s where I had the most trouble. I’m a picky eater, so food pretty much anywhere can be an issue for me, but this was something else. The breakfast menu was nice, but it didn’t change at all during our time there so options were limited. Dinner menu in the main restaurant changed every night, but there were very few options and wine choice was limited. The Lotus had a much fancier menu and we really enjoyed our dinner there. The chef’s dinner was good, but everything was drenched in butter and we weren’t feeling great after the dinner. It was also really awkward because everyone felt like they had to whisper at their table. The coffee and martini bars were great. Lunch at the beach and the pool were okay, but the menu never changed there either.

- The Service
Pros: For the most part, everyone was extremely friendly and willing to do whatever they could to help you. The concierge was incredibly helpful and accommodating.
Con: The restaurant service was where I had the most problems. I’d say they got my order wrong 50% of the time and I didn’t get an apology when it would happen.
Tip: Bring some small bills for tips.

Overall, it was a lovely vacation for us. If you’re looking for somewhere you can party hard, this isn’t it, but if you’re two tired parents who just want some rum drinks, rest, and time to recharge, then the service, beach, and general relaxation is worth the mediocre food.

2  Thank ashleyz748

Thank You "ashleyz748" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.