32 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$603
Orbitz.comUS$603
CheapTicketsUS$603
TravelocityUS$603
TripadvisorUS$603
StayForLong
3,606 results
All reviews lotus leaf crossing guard beach grill chefs table lotus restaurant treehouse style coffee bar day bed jerk chicken tree frogs piano man away from the road tree house private beach bloody bay small resort our honeymoon
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 November 2021 via mobile

My husband and I were at Sunset at the Palms from July 29 - August 6, 2021. The resort is absolutely gorgeous! The beach, very nice and pristine. The staff does an amazing job at guest attentiveness and upkeep of property.

The food however, is poor quality and unacceptable! The disingenuous descriptions of menu items are deceptive. The dinner menu description for a few of the days had an option for Red Snapper. I am familiar with eating red snapper in a variety of ways. I ordered this dish and noticed the texture/taste of the fish was not that of red snapper, when I probed the waitress asking what type of fish was served she told me Basa fish. I'd never heard of this fish and googled to find out Basa fish is a cheap catfish species . Another incident, on another night, was the menu option of USDA prime ribeye which I ordered. The cut of beef I received was thin, tough and unflavored(more like flank beef). I let the waiter know that I could not cut through meat and that the meat was very tough...I was given another knife. The waiter watched me as struggled to make a cut with the new knife then eventually offered another dish. At this point I was fed up (no pun intended) with the food at this resort and politely declined. All the items on the menus throughout our stay was basically the same, just prepared differently. Breakfast was the only meal I thought was decent. If you want good Jerked chicken do not expect it here, you'll have to go off the resort.

Date of stay: October 2021
1  Thank Navi71
Kamarla Simms, General Manager at Sunset at the Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2021

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor. We have noted all highlighted points.

We will be sure to share your review with the team.

Reviewed 29 November 2021

First of all, this is a place for those who want to RELAX and enjoy the natural beauty of the beautiful country of Jamaica. There is no entertainment staff, no party games, no loud music. This is a peaceful and extremely hospitable destination for those ready to unwind and unplug.

I am writing this review not even to sell other travelers to come here, even though you should. I am writing this review because I hope the resort sees it and lets these staff members know that we see them and we respect and love them! The resort is beautiful no matter what, but the PEOPLE of Negril and at this resort made us want to return on our next Jamaican vacation in February.

The beach is absolutely beautiful. The water is clear and clean.

The beach bar and grill are located right on the beach. We LOVED talking with Delroy, Kirk, Damion, and Esoy (I don't completely remember how to spell his name), and many others every day.

Both Lifeguards were friendly and helpful when getting beach chairs.

Breakfast each day was delicious and Vanessa always greeted us with a friendly face and quickly learned what we were going to order every day. Sit outside, it was one of our favorite parts of the day.

The rooms are incredible, but nothing beats the daybed on the balcony overlooking the gardens and natural wonders of the property. We ended each night here.

We become instant friends with our driver, Manor. He took us out to explore Negril several days while we were there and we quite literally consider him family now.

There were certainly other people that I can't remember their name or how to spell it, but just know that we appreciate them all.

One love and much respect,

Dustin & Katie

We will see you soon.

Room tip: 502 was amazing
5  Thank nanakarensonmain
Kamarla Simms, General Manager at Sunset at the Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience at the Sunset at the Palms Resort on Trip Advisor.

It is always fulfilling when the team and myself read reviews; where our guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us.

Thanks for making the Sunset at the Palms Resort your home away from home.

Looking forward to hosting you once again.

Seasons Greetings; Happy New Year when it comes!

Looking forward to hosting you in the upcoming weeks.

Reviewed 29 November 2021 via mobile

This is pretty long. I stayed at the property 11/15-11/19. Room 717, which was a suite. I went to celebrate my 50th birthday with a group of 5. I chose Jamaica because of the COVID testing requirements. I chose the property because I didn’t want a crowded resort.

Arrival: I will ALWAYS pay for Club MoBay from this point on when I travel to Jamaica! They fast tracked us through
immigration/customs and we were seated in a lounge with food and cocktails within 15 minutes. The van took about 1.5 hours of typical Jamaican driving to get us to
the property. I got a call and text from Nexus and the
concierge prior to arrival.

There was a curfew of 9 pm.

Check In: It was quick. We we’re greeted by staff and offered drinks. We were walked to our 3 rooms. We were not told where the ice machine was or shown any other amenities.
Room/property: The property is well kept. Very tropical
and tranquil. I chose it because it was unique. Room 717 was a suite in the back of the property. It was extremely dark in some places at night. I had a birthday sign on my door on day 2. My neighbor joked that they just took it off his door. He did say he got a bottle of champagne- I did not. There were two twin beds, a fridge, bathroom and outside sitting area on the main level. Upstairs was a queen bed, bathroom, closet and deck with a hammock and couch. The room needs some updating. The blinds did not work so I propped them open during the day. There was not a lot of lighting in the room or bathroom. The air conditioner was perfect. The shower was had two mismatched shower heads and four wall nozzles that sprinkled out water. One of the TVs stopped working one day. Maintenance came quickly and ended up bringing another tv. My roommate had bees entering through the bathroom window (I’m allergic!) They came quickly and put netting in the window.
The walls are thin and we could smell whenever the neighbors were lighting up.

Phone service/WiFi: HORRIBLE. WiFi was down or spotty the entire week. Therefore, there was NO PHONE SERVICE on the entire resort. You could not call room to room, the front desk, NOTHING. So, we couldn’t communicate with our friends without going to their room. A listened as a guest complained because he was unable to work without the WiFi. I shook my head when they told him they were working on it. It was day 4 without WiFi for us.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL! The best part of the property. The crossing guard walks you across the busy street and then it’s a short walk to paradise! There is someone to greet you and get chairs and towels set up for you. There are always chairs. They were out of towels at the pool and beach most of the time. The rest rooms are clean and only a short walk. The beach food was mediocre. The jerk chicken was disappointing. Compared to Secrets and other resort beach food, it was the worst I’ve had. The drinks were great. Servers would constantly come around, but the wait was a little long to get your good. By day three, they gave us flags to wave so they knew we needed something. BRING A BEACH FLOAT.

Food: I’m a foodie. I was disappointed by the food service. I’d emailed the property about a week and a half prior asking for reservations for the Lotus Room and Chef’s Table for my birthday. They responded with the days and times available. I sent them my requests. I did not find out until I got there that none of my reservations were made and they were full. We ate at the Palm each day for breakfast. Breakfast was the best meal of the day so we made sure to go every morning. Great omelettes and pancakes. If you ordered the salmon and bagel plate- you may get an English muffin or blueberry bagel. Seems like they just grabbed any bun. The bacon was the best and they ran out of it by 930 each morning. The coffee bar is nice and I had coffee and rum cream every morning. The traditional Jamaican night was only one night and was
average. I had escovitch fish which was just fried fish with the vegetables on top.
Room service was available for a $15 fee. There were no buffets. Dessert was nothing special.
Patrick and Kadian-the property manager were apologetic about them not making my reservations and told us they could get us into the chef’s showcase AFTER we made arrangements to eat off property. After 4 days of mediocre meals, I was skeptical about the “showcase”. They had the chef tell me what was on the menu and I wasn’t impressed. I declined having dinner on property and we went to Ivan’s and had the best food we’d eaten since arriving on the island. They send a taxi for you- the concierge made the reservation but somehow didn’t confirm the taxi- and you pay the taxi for return.

Travel: We saw advertisement in the lobby that they left for shopping each day at 10. This is not a free service. Omar was our driver and was great. We had him for several hours.
We paid $20 per person. We went to three shopping areas and Rick’s cafe. Rick’s was nice. They don’t dive unless you tip them. So I did and it was worth it!

Entertainment: A piano player comes about 3 days a week and leaves at 9. That’s it. Nothing else.

Service: The servers were extremely nice! I know they are overworked, but always had a smoke on their face. And we saw some for breakfast, lunch, poolside, on the beach and at the bar! Almarie was the best! Her laugh is contagious. Alicia was also a joy each day. There is no ATM on property so I know that
may cut into any tips you want to give.

Drinks: No Topshelf liquor. The drinks are STRONG. Pina coladas, rum punch, lemon drop martinis. No complaints in this area. Kurt was a good bartender.

Massage: I think I had Brenda. You choose outside or inside. Outside is outside where people can walk by and you hear traffic. So bring headphones. The massage was AWESOME.

Bottom line: I’ve been to Jamaica more than 10 times. I wouldn’t choose this property again. The food needs improvement. They need to add native food to every menu everyday. Jamaican breakfast would’ve been
great. They need to figure out their reservation and concierge situation. I didn’t realize Aisha was MY
personal concierge until day 3. They need to update the rooms a little. They should give you a map to the property. If you are coming to disconnect and relax, this is the place. No frills, nothing fancy, just basic.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank fsudelta

We will be sure to share your review with the team.

Reviewed 22 November 2021

My wife and I spent 7 nights at The Palms. It was a perfect vacation. Great food, beautiful sunsets, and a wonderfully sandy beach.

Our “lodge” was surrounded by palm trees, and lush vegetation.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

I cannot say enough about the great time we had. Thank you!

2  Thank U8547PDmarkl

Thank You "U8547PDmarkl" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.

We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to hosting you once again.

I will be sure to share your review with the team. Take care and see you soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2021

The hotel is beautiful , the staff from the gate , the front desk , kitchen , the beach , the pool just the best customer service all around . The food and rooms are the best . This hotel give the best laid-back vibe. Someone is always closeby to offer a helping hand. The beach across the road is clean and well kept . Highly recommend must stay again

2  Thank 49damanig
Kamarla Simms, General Manager at Sunset at the Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2021

Thank You "49damanig" for taking the time out to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I will be sure to share your review with the team. Take care and see you soon!