3 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 04/02/22
Orbitz.comUS$127
TravelocityUS$127
CheapTicketsUS$127
All reviews hummingbird suite the penthouse full kitchen sea grape trees queen bed our home away from home blue mountain coffee catcha falling star lobster mile jamaica properties locals
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 November 2019

Firefly is our go to place for accommodations in Negril. We have been staying here for years and are never disappointed. My husband and I always stay in Penthouse #18, my sister-in-law stayed in Penthouse #17. Both rooms are very well appointed with SPECTACULAR views of the beach/sea. The 3 Jamaican Ladies who own the hotel (Andrea, Opia and Sharon) are continually making improvements to the rooms and their guest services. Each year we see positive changes.

If you are looking for a friendly, safe, local experience Firefly would be a great option. Service and location get 5 stars from me.

Room tip: Rooms for every budget
3  Thank taunaj
Reviewed 18 November 2019

My sister and I stayed at Firefly November 4-8. We stayed in the Hummingbird Suite. The room itself was quite dreamy, with lots of gauzy white curtains that gave the room an airy feel as the curtains fluttered in the breezes. Since daily temps were 90 degrees and up, we mostly used the AC which worked well, along with a couple of ceiling fans.

The bathroom was adequate but definitely in need of some updating. The shower head was only half functional, and the faucets were all a little scummy.

There was not enough lighting anywhere, and the lights that were there, had several burned out bulbs. The worst part was the lack of outlets in the bathroom. We had to borrow an extension cord, which when plugged into the nearest outlet (in the closet!!) just barely reached for us to use a hairdryer, etc.

Another strange thing was the lack of a sink in the little kitchenette area, although the fridge and microwave were appreciated.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a property in Negril without a gate at the front, but Firefly didnt have one. I also never saw a night guard, although they say they have one. There were a LOT of beach peddlers, and while I am very used to them and generally not bothered by them (I know how to deal with them), they were especially aggressive at Firefly, sitting/laying on the beach chairs, watching for you to wake up from a "nap" (faking naps is usually a good deterrent), even literally walking up to us as we were seated in the restaurant in the morning having breakfast. One of them did tell me that it is a hot spot for them to hang out, as there is no lifeguard/guard/staff to shoo them away.

We also found it a bit silly and annoying that we had to have cards from the office to "earn" a beach towel (though I'm sure its frustrating when they are stolen), and a coupon to "prove" we were on the continental breakfast plan. There werent that many guests staying (maybe 10 rooms occupied), and the bar staff easily remembered our names, so they couldnt remember if we were on the plan or not??

Takesha. Takesha!! Oh how we loved her! She was our bartender, our waitress, but most of all, our friend. She is a GOLD MINE, and Firefly better take great care of her to keep her - she is their best asset! She seemed to work 11-12 hours a day without complaining or being grumpy to guests. We talked, laughed, and played Dominoes with her. When I was stung by a jellyfish (that was a first in ten visits to Negril but not something I ever want to repeat), Takesha right away knew what happened and had a big glass of vinegar to pour over it, which gave some relief. And she just doted on me and made me feel like she was my loving mama, even though I was easily old enough to be her mama!

All in all, I would stay again. The property is very pretty, we felt safe, the staff were nice, and...Takesha!

3  Thank rhondasueMI
Reviewed 10 November 2019

If you want a resort type place, ths is not for you. I stayed in the hummingbird room wit my sister, Nov. 4-9. Our room was lovely, had air conditioning, and an ocean view. I wish there had been outlets in the bathroom, and a box of kleenexes somewhere. It was my first time in Jamaica, my sister's 10th. I was expecting the "peddlers", but holy moly, those guys were persistent, and they like to hang out on the property because as one of them stated, 'we know we won't get kicked off the property, since there isn't security.' I won't go back to Firefly again, specifically because of that particular dude. Note to staff, if you want to know who it was, he was the Rasta man wearing white every day.

2  Thank Brendalea423
Reviewed 9 October 2019 via mobile

The cottage we stayed in had everything we needed for an amazing week on the beach. We had 2 air conditioned bedrooms, a living room, 1.5 bathrooms, a kitchenette and 2 balconies! The restaurant was closed for the season while we stayed, but that was no problem because directly next door on the beach there is a lovely bar and restaurant. The location is perfect. Their section of beach is nice, well maintained and offers good chairs and shady trees. They are approximately around the centre of the 7 mile beach so you are within walking distance to anywhere on the beach you’d like to visit. The rooms and cottages are located directly on the beach side, but they are just private enough being tucked away behind beautiful gardens. The gardener obviously cares about his work, it’s a beautiful garden! All of the housekeeping staff were very friendly and attentive and quickly responded to any requests we had. My only complaint is that I couldn’t afford to stay there for the full two weeks of my vacation. I would definitely choose Firefly again for my temporary beach home!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jennyfromdarok
Opia P, Operations Supervisor at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2019

It is beyond explanation to express how delighted and happy we are to know that you had a memorable stay with us.
Our property is indeed at a centralized location that is right on the 7 mile stretch a beach which is a added plus for the property.
Management is indeed pleased that our service was second to none.
Our aim is always to go above and beyond to please all our guest.
We are grateful for such a positive and impressive feedback.
In regards to spending a longer time with us during the low season, we always offer different promotions that are eye catching.
We look forward to see you visiting with us.
Again thanks for making it Firefly.

Martine Young

Reviewed 10 September 2019

Another trip into Jamaica.... always full of smiles & familiar faces. Always nice to know when I'm in Negril,I can count on Firefly to accommodate myself & friends. Thanks once again for your hospitality, see you in late December

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Opia P, Operations Supervisor at Firefly Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2019

We are happy that your stay with us was well spent.
The Management and staff is pleased that we made your vacation accommodating.
We always aim to please our guests so they will always keep returning.
Looking forward to your next visit and thanks again for making it Firefly Beach Cottage.

Martine Young