“The Caribbean As It Should Be”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 7 August 2017

If you're looking for a slick, or cookie-cutter, or all-inclusive Jamaican experience, Nirvana is not for you.

My son and I came with my three granddaughters (ages 11 and 7) in July. We wanted a place to stay which would combine creature comforts and at the same time give the children a real sense of being in a foreign country. We found Nirvana to be perfect. We rented Cottage 4 and Lower Verandah Suite for the 5 of us. Accommodations which were clean, comfortable, and quiet, with a lot of attention to detail. A feel of the "old Caribbean." (Think open windows and ceiling fans, rather than stale Air Conditioned air). Beautiful uncrowded beach access. Staff who cared about our comfort and went out of their way to help us create exactly the vacation we wanted. These folks do "welcoming, friendly, and unobtrusive" to a Tee. The fact that there is neither restaurant nor bar meant that we could wander up and down the beach to fun, funky little places for a snack or a drink. Probably our very favorite "perk" of Nirvana was have one meal prepared for us each day (in the cottages). We had brought a little Jamaican cookbook, and worked with the housekeeping staff to plan our menus each night, and then we off shopping for the ingredients. One night Zemroy, the manger, arranged a large Red Snapper, which Lynn prepared in our cottage. Another night we ordered as much lobster as we could possibly eat, which we grilled, and the staff prepared vegetables. Zemroy was also very helpful in arranging two snorkeling trips as well as a day at Zimbali retreat in the mountains. We did leave feeling like members of the family!

Room Tip: Cottage 4 is the farthest from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon H
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

thanks for your wonderful review & we are so glad you were happy at Nirvana...
At Nirvana we all strive to offer our guests the privacy & security they want to experience while still enjoying all that Negril offers.

Nirvana is not just another hotel it's a special place where the intimacy with the environment & the exceptional personal services of our long time staff make it a unique experience.

All of the staff all appreciate your praise for their hard work...
You will not find a comparable property on Negril Beach as most others are commercially developed hotel/motel type places.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

I planned a birthday trip to Jamaica from July 28th to August 2nd for 8 ladies. We didn't realize how packed hotels were due to Dream Weekend, but that didn't stop Lonnie from helping us. We rented a two bedroom cottage and a studio to accommodate our large group and everything was PERFECT.

The cottage was huge and was more than enough room for 4 ladies. There was no AC in our cottage but the breeze from the ocean cooled down our cottage. No one complained about having no AC, which is rare because we are from Texas. The studio was a nice size. The king bed and queen pull up fit the other four ladies comfortably. All of theThe location of Nirvana was Perfect. We were right in the middle of 7 Mile Beach. Even though there is not a restaurant on the property. If you walk 100 feet to the left or right you will find amazing restaurants and bars to go to. I would stay at Nirvana again and would recommend the property to anyone looking for a peaceful retreat. beds were comfortable.

The property was clean. The security was so helpful to run off some of the men that approached us. We felt safe an secure. We could not hear the other guest on the property.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank avvennett g

thanks for your wonderful review & we are so glad you were happy at Nirvana...

We have many ladies groups choose Nirvana for the special care our staff goes to in making sure they get the best Negril beach experience without being hassled by the Jamaican men who are known for being sometimes a bit too enthusiastic about un-escorted lady visitors...

You will not find a comparable property on Negril Beach as most others are ordinary commercially developed hotel/motel type places.

All of the staff all appreciate your praise for their hard work...
& want you to know they all loved having you & hope you will be back soon,

Lonnie

Reviewed 9 July 2017

My friends and I recently stayed at Nirvana and we all had a really great time. Our group of 9 rented out one cottage and both veranda suites and I have to say that it was wonderful and exceed our expectations. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. We used Nirvana”s taxi service every day during our trip and the prices were reasonable and our driver Leon, was friendly, patient and answered any and all questions we had about the area. I still can’t believed that he would stay with the car during our excursions with not a single complaint. Our beach was clean beautiful and perfect and the best on the seven mile stretch or at least what my friends had explored. There were a lot of vendors on the beach but the security guard would make sure that we weren’t being hassled and even went as far as making sure we got the best merchandise. (My fiance and I were getting fruit from one of the vendors and Shine ((one of the guards)) made sure we saw all the fruit he had and got the best ones. Above and beyond what I would have expected.) During our check in Sandra the manager told us we were part of the Nirvana family and that is how they treated us.

My fiance and I rented out the lower veranda suites and I have to say that I am glad we spent the extra money to stay in these suites. Our group would hand out on our patio during the sunset hanging out to the night ocean sounds or going to one of the many bars that are on the stretch of beach. One of my favorite parts was waking up though! Can I say one more time, HOLY COW, that view! Another bonus that I didn’t know/realize I would use so much is the outdoor shower in the front of the suite. If you ever felt too salty from the ocean water you could just rinse yourself off in the outdoor shower and go back to suntan without feeling like you had a layer of salt covering you. There is also something really nice about showering outside. Also there is a clothes line on the patio for hanging your beach towels. I do wish Nirvana supplied beach towels though they do tell you in advance that they don’t have them on the premises, only bathing towels.

My brother stayed on the second floor veranda suites and I have to say that the balcony view of the ocean was even better than ours. (But it was really nice having a quick place to go after swimming even if our patio did get very sandy.) A group of my friends stayed in the first cottage (located near the security gate and just a 1 minute walk to the beach) and I can’t attest to their accommodations but I am glad I was with a group that was staying there. One of the perks of staying at the cottage was that you can get a home cooked meal from the staff (as longs you buy the groceries.) I think that these meals were my favorite of the trip! There are a lot of great food around, like the jerk chicken place across the street and just five minutes down the road but these meals were truly authentic jamaican cuisine and we had such a great variety. (You definitely should ask Zemroy to get fish for your meal early in the day for that evening. They made this amazing shrimp curry dish that I wish I could have brought a vat of home. I am drooling just thinking about it. Also impressive he got us lobster when it was out of season!)

One thing you should note is that we did go during the rainy season (the two months that are starting the hurricane season but it would only rain for an hour or so and then it would be fine). There was one day the water was brown due to a huge rain storm and river runoff but the water cleared up the next day.

Rick’s - was a lot of fun but it was a little too touristy for me, just went because sooo many people recommended this place. First time I had ever seen a dj-ed sun set, a little odd. The cliffs were beautiful though but the food was way overpriced.

Blue Hole - the water in the hole was unexpectedly cold but I prefer hanging out here than Ricks. The employees also do really crazy flips and dives into the water. Also they have a pool filled with the cool mineral water so you didn’t want to go into the hole you could still swim. The only negative was that the ladder to climb up and out of the hole was scary to climb. I jumped into the hole which was a lot of fun but only did it once because I didn’t want to climb up the ladder again.

Cons: There is no restaurant at Nirvana but it’s not a deal breaker as you can make breakfast in any of the rooms or you could go next door that served food.
Due to the proximity of the veranda suite to the beach it was impossible to not get sand in the suite. I had to ask for a mop because I just felt like the entire place had a layer of sand.
Less of a con and more of a piece of advice, bring more cash than you plan on spending. There was only one ATM in the area and one day it was out of service. We had to go to a kind of sketchy part of downtown Negril.

Random Note: There was a wedding during our stay which was set up very close to the veranda suites. I wish they had told us about this in advance then we would have probably planned to do excursions of Negril that day instead of doing a beach day. It kind of made us feel like we couldn’t really use our patio but that was more of us trying to be considerate of the bride (especially with me being engaged) than Nirvana making us feel like we should hide. In fact they told us more than once that we should just do what we would normally be doing. The wedding was beautiful. I was quite surprised by how quickly they set up the reception and ceremony areas. They even invited us to join the festivities which was so kind! I don’t think I want to do my ceremony on the beach but if I did I would definitely consider having it here.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kinda L
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

thanks for your wonderful review & we are so glad you were happy at Nirvana...we all strive to offer our guests the privacy & security they want to experience while still enjoying all that Negril offers.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

We just got back from our stay at Nirvana and everything was wonderful. It started with Leon picking us up at the airport and taking us to the market. We then arrived and stayed in Cottage 5. It's not air conditioned and that took a little getting used to but after the first night we were used to it and really enjoyed the authentic Jamaican experience. The cabins feel much like a cabin you might "camp" in but with nicer furniture and a full kitchen and bath. If you know what you are expecting it's a great experience. And I never saw one bug which was amazing considering the tropical feel right outside the door. My 14 YO daughter wanted to see the culture of Jamaica and I feel we did just that. Several families came and went during our stay but we basically had the beach to our selves. My husband couldn't get over it. Errol and Shine made us feel safe and secure. Mom and dad even went for a long kayak ride and the girls commented that they felt OK with that knowing Errol was keeping watch. Zemroy and Sandra were both super helpful and so sweet. My husband forgot a bag at the airport and Zemroy helped coordinate a driver to get the bag and bring it to us. We casually mentioned that the refrigerator door wasn't sealing all the way and within an hour it was being fixed. The grounds are immaculate and everyone is sooo super friendly - workers and guests. Leon made our trip. He took us to Mayfield Falls, the Blue Hole, to the market and to and from the airport. Jamaica has some crazy drivers not to mention the backroads you take everywhere so we were so happy to have Leon on our side. He waited for us at all our activities and was so pleasant. He even made a stop for patties - a Jamaican must have. I actually think the food the ladies made us was the best food we had on our trip. It was so nice to hang at the beach all day and walk into a delicious homecooked meal just waiting for you! My normally picky eaters ate every bite! I didn't blow dry my hair or put on makeup once the entire trip!! That's my kind of trip. I would highly recommend Nirvana to anyone not expecting a fancy all inclusive vacation. We enjoyed every minute of it and will be back in the future! Thank you for a wonderful vacation spot!

Room Tip: Get a cottage under tree cover....helps with the heat factor of the sun.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank pdiddy74
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Nirvana really has a great location on Negril Seven Mile Beach. We have stayed in the owners Villa once and The Veranda Suites twice. The view from these rooms are fantastic. We really enjoyed conversations with Sandra and Errol. Be sure and get a massage with Iceland, she knows what she's doing.

My only suggestion for improvement would be new sheets for the bed and TV for this Veranda Suites.

See you guys in October!

Doug & Nancy

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dougdirt
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

we thank you for your wonderful review & are so glad you were happy at Nirvana...again.
We all strive to offer our guests the privacy & security that is reflected in our rates,you will not find a comparable property on Negril Beach as most are commercially developed hotel/motel type places.

Nirvana is not just another hotel, it is a special place where guests can experience the true Negril vibe & know real intimacy with the environment & the exceptional personal services of our long time staff make it a unique experience.