“A Gem - St Geremain Bistro & Café”

St Germain Bistro & Cafe
Ranked #27 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Eat where the locals come when they visit Old San Juan. Located off the beaten path, this neighborhood bistro serves a range of creative dishes along with some comfort classics. Using fresh ingredients you can expect some great sandwiches, a selection of salads, fresh ceviche & quiche, yummy soups, and more.
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Stopped in to see what the great reviews were about and ended up writing one myself.

This charming little Restaurant is located in the heart of Old San Juan. The manager on the ground level floor welcomed me and graciously took care of me. I had lunch twice at St Germains and maybe because of the enormous August heat, I had the awesome cobb salad with a light, crispy sparkling house wine followed by homemade carrot cake and fabulous coffee. The salad was fresh, had tons of crispy bacon, atacados, hard boiled egg and tomatoes etc. The service was excellent and always gracious. My second visit, just could not get enough of the salad and again, it was fabulous.

One review below mentioned the building's history so I had to really check this place out. The first floor is where I ate both times, floor two is darker, more intimate setting and I met the gracious, young chef who let me wander about even though they were not open. He showed me pictures of the activist who had lived on the second floor. I stood on the balcony where the activist had stood and faced American solders who pointed guns at him.

I then went up to the rooftop restaurant and was greeted by the gracious young chef whom I had met on my first visit. Again, he let me wander about and ask questions. Cocktails and more substantial food tends to be served on the 3rd level. Yes, they do have cocktail hour.

St Germain's is gracious, serves delicious food, and has a very interesting history behind it. Pricing was very reasonable. Enjoy.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

A short stroll from my hotel brought me to this Old San Juan neighborhood gem. The food, drink, atmosphere and music provided a relaxing setting after a day of exploring this beautiful and historic town. Aurelien, who runs the cafe, was very welcoming and accommodating in my meal selection. Please take a visit to this delightful cafe.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

If you like organic and healthy food this is your place. They used freshly ingredients and taste incredible good! Is located in the Old San Juan so after an excellent lunch or brunch, you can take a walk and enjoy the beautiful city.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

During our recent trip to Old San Juan in PR, we received a recommendation from the concierge at our hotel to try the food at St. Germain....I just loved it! Its a quaint little cafe tucked away in a corner on a cobbled stone street in old San Juan. For a short period of time, I felt that I was in France, or even Italy for that matter....besides the look of the place, the food is simply delicious....check the time before you go because we arrived at the cafe just before they were about to close for a few hours in the afternoon....the coffee was so good...you will have to trust me on this one...I hope you visit this place when in San Juan next....

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

We went based on TripAdvisor reviews for brunch. The food was very fresh and clean - a great alternative to the mostly fried local fare. The coffee and fresh brewed tea was well enjoyed and the special sparkling juices were delicious. Order the side of bacon, seems to be done with a maple or honey glaze thats super tasty. We were so pleased with this clean eating alternative that we went back a few nights later for dinner specifically for the Leaning Tower which did not disappoint.

I would recommend you go early for brunch and avoid the rush. Our server both times was Aurelien who was great - very attentive and helpful!