Hotel El Convento
Travelocity
US$304
US$229
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Milano(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Restaurant
US$76
TripAdvisor
2,831 results
All reviewswine and cheesetapas restaurantold san juancourtyard restaurantwine receptionformer conventevery eveningplunge poolpuerto ricoopen courtyardcentral courtyardvista roomthird floorturn down serviceacross the streetour honeymoonbottled water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2012

El Convento was a 16th century monastery occupied by the Carmelite nuns.It is downtown San Juan across the street from San Juan Bautista Cathedral which ou must visit .The resting place of Ponce DeLeon.There are rumors that tunnels exist between the monsatery and the church!
It has been renovated.The building is typically spanish with 3 levels surrounding a central open courtyard which is the restaurant both during the day and when it rains.The rooms are fronted by wide balconies which run all around offerering shelter from the weather.
The floors are old clay tiles,framed by sunny curved arches.
The rooms are sized at 3 levels,we stayed at the double.A king bed,shutters and a window onto the street.A bathroom totally upgraded with toiletries from Aveda.Thick towels and bathrobes,flat screen TV.
The hotel has a ballroom that is used for weddings ,so it can get noisy at night.
There is a rooftop plunge pool and sunning area,dont plan on swimming at the hotel.
There are amazing nooks and seating areas throughout the hotel.
An all day honor bar system exists in one of these areas.
The food was great,the evening meal service was excellent.
The best part about this hotel is it's location.Walking distance to every thing downtown!!!
2 blocks from the fortalezza,a mile to El morro.We ate at Marmalade and Trois Cent Onze.Marmalde was OK but expensive,TCO was great.Freanch food ,good wine selection.
Hotel averaged 275 plus tax a night,the rate varies according to the day of the week so avoid Sat and Sun if possible.
Enjoy!

The best part

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pprahlad
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at El Convento in March of 2011 and had a wonderful experience. The hotel is not "modern" in that the rooms are not all identical to one another and the layout is what you might expect in that regard. The design and furnishings of the two rooms I saw were very high quality. The bathroom in our room was small, but very nice. We actually occupied a small suite which included a living area, a wet bar and the separate bedroom and bath. Our friends were happily upgraded to a beautiful room adjacent to the pool. We tried one of the restaurants and two of the bar areas while there. The most fun was the honor bar, which has a veranda associated with it. We hung out there for quite a while and met some other guests, one of whom we ended up going to dinner with that evening. Very cozy. The pool is TINY and located on the roof. It is very pretty and has a lot of charm, but this is not a pool that would lend to rowdy play and probably not for children at all. I would classify this pool as a "plunge pool." It's barely larger than my spa at home. If you got 8 or 10 people in there all at once, you'd become close friends. The service, food, drinks, amenities, surroundings, location -- all top notch. We're staying there again next month, so that says something in itself. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CGUESS
Reviewed 8 January 2012

When we started looking at locations for a December destination wedding, we chose Puerto Rico largely based on El Convento and its unique character. It really is an amazing property with so much history and character that you can't find easily in the states. After a year of planning, I had a serious breakdown about two weeks before the wedding when I learned on TripAdvisor from other travelers that the hotel's interior courtyard was under construction. Fortunately for us, we had only planned on having the cocktail reception in the courtyard at dusk (so you couldn't see the construction) and our party was small enough to utilize the part that is still open, so it all worked out and we ended up having a wonderful event. I feel badly for the people who had planned on using the patio for their ceremony because they are just out of luck for now. Despite the construction, this hotel is worth a visit for travelers, or for those having a local event - planning a destination wedding in Puerto Rico is a much more complicated endeavor than we imagined for many reasons.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Otono76
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past couple years and am truly in love with it. The service can't be beat. The staff speaks fluent english and will help with just about anything (from booking an excursion to recommending what beach or restaurant to visit). The hotel is located in the heart of Old San Juan with walking distance to just about everything. There is a daily wine and cheese hour where you get all the wine and cheese you would like. The selection is fabulous and ...well, I would stay there again just for this hour! The hotel used to be an old spanish catholic convent so the rooms are small but with amazing architecture. Definitely a great once in a lifetime place to visit. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Many times if you're staying for just one night they'll upgrade you for free. Don't necessarily book the most expensive room as it's usually not booked out and you'll get upgraded anyway. The best rooms in my opinion however are those with a view of the bay. They also have big savings with AAA.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank deborahcorinne
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Absolutely LOVED the hotel and Old San Juan! I am an "Honoured Member" of the Small Luxury Hotel Group, which entitles me to the best available room at check in. I had to change rooms several times before I got away from the rooms with a view of the dumpsters and alley. The desk staff made me feel like I was stealing from them by politely requesting my due upgrade. The Gloria Vanderbilt Suite was lovely! It was so big that we had to send out a search party to find the dressing room with our luggage in it. I am mobility-impaired, but was delighted with the easy navigability of this property. We SHALL return!!!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front of the hotel have a fabulous view. The rooms in the back are quiet - and comfortable if one need not look out the windows.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple