El Canario by the Lagoon
Marriott Hotels
US$413
US$279
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$129
  • Restaurant
Villa Herencia(San Juan)
US$169
US$160
US$246
  • Breakfast included
The Dreamcatcher(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$161
Casa Sol Bed and Breakfast(San Juan)
US$213
Dream Inn(San Juan)
US$126
Hotels.com
US$129
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskold san juanpuerto ricorecommend ellaundry facilitiessmall balconytop floorstay there againcondado beachsmall hotelashford avenueair conditioningmini fridgewalking distancewater pressurerestaurants and shops
Reviewed 29 December 2017

I did really like this place, I would describe this place as cheap and cheerful. It was clean and did what it needed which was give us a comfy place to sleep by the beach. I love the location too! However, the old man at the front desk can be quite scary at times. The younger man is nice and very accommodating. Also, they lost power the last night I was there and my phone didn't charge. It made it tricky calling an Uber the next day. Also, the cleaning ladies must take there break right under our window as they started chatting quite loudly very early in the morning, because there was no air (as there was no electricity) it meant for a very early wake up time! Not sure I wanted to get up at 6:00AM on my last day of vacation.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jetsetter071
John V, Owner at El Canario by the Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Thank you for your business. Your comments are constructive and will be taken into consideration. I am sorry we lost power during your stay. I hope we can make it up to you some time in the future.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

We had the pleasure to stay at the hotel end of June for a week, Hans and the staff are very nice and helpful I would always stay there again, Clean rooms, breakfast was all I needed, great coffee {thanks Hans } and always friendly

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marion S

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you once again.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

I booked a room at El Canario on Expedia back in November, on Dec 06 the hotel informed Expedia that they would not be open due to a lack of power and water, which Expedia didn't inform me or refund my reservation. I called the hotel on the day of my arrival and the person who answered my call was wonderfully helpful and found me a room at a hotel which was open. I have stayed at El Canario before and have always found the staff to be very warm and helpful. I will stay with them again; will never use Expedia again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob P

Thank you for your review. We have worked very hard during this crisis and certainly appreciate your business. I hope we can serve you once again in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We booked a reservation at this hotel in Aug/17 for our Dec/17 (Christmas week) cruise. Following the two hurricanes, I wanted to give them some time to figure things out and then proactively reached out via their FB page in early Nov/17 because their website said that the hotel had lost power. The person running their FB page told me to call the hotel directly because he is not in able to assist with reservations. Fine, np. I called and spoke to Monica in mid-Nov/17. She told me the following: (1) They do have power and most rooms are currently occupied by the army/federal government (their website still states that they don't in order to discourage locals from booking rooms); (2) At the time of the call, all the Dec/17 reservations remain valid but are subject to a risk of cancellation as the army/federal government may decide to extend their stay in December; (3) They will inform everyone by end of Nov/17 if their Dec/17 reservations are still valid; and (4) If I choose to cancel my Dec/17 reservation immediately in order to secure alternative accommodations (in a rising price environment!) instead of gambling on their uncertain reservation, I will be charged the full penalty for cancelling the room. I didn't feel like I had much of a choice as Monica reiterated a few times that the Dec/17 reservations were still valid at this time. The end of Nov/17 came and went and I thought - great, I guess everything worked out at the hotel!

On Dec 6/17 I get a message from the hotel via Expedia which claimed that they cancelled all reservations in November through Expedia (lost power) but that Expedia hadn't done anything to cancel. In a follow-up e-mail, I was advised by management that "all the OTA's were informed more than a month ago regarding" their loss of power. At this point, rooms in an equivalent location/quality hotel had pretty much doubled in price. We're now fine for our Dec/17 trip as Expedia was fantastic and was able to make alternative arrangements.

In conclusion, I'm very sympathetic to the very unfortunate circumstances that all PR residents and businesses have had to deal with in the last few months. What I don't appreciate is the way that the hotel's management chose to deal with the situation. It's one thing to have to supply rooms to government entities in exchange for a generator; there is no need to lie and imply that they don't have any power, no need to lie about how long ago they reached out to cancel reservations (I spoke to the hotel directly over the phone less than a month ago) and no need to prevent people from cancelling their reservations (and book an alternative when prices are still reasonable) when they couldn't guarantee the room in the first place!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you had a bad experience. We have been doing the best we can to communicate with our customers and agencies. It is impossible for me to verify exactly what happened in your particular case, but one thing I am certain, we don't lie to our customers, and we have never adjusted our prices due to extenuating circumstances. I am happy Expedia was able to find accommodations for you. I can tell you Expedia has been the problem in several situations. We always remain at your service.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here during a cruise vacation. I'd say the hotel was good enough. I had a clean room. One of the staff was very rude though. My sister stayed in the room next to me, she said her room was clean and nice as well. Not sure I would rebook a room at this place though...thank you anyways...

Stayed: December 2017
John V, Owner at El Canario by the Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Thank you for your review. I am happy you were able to stay with us. These have been trying times and we appreciate your business.