“A beautiful hotel and a great value”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 9 April 2011

The first thing I noticed about this hotel was how nicely decorated the lobby and other public areas were. There are interesting chairs, art pieces, aquariums, light fixtures or other decorative elements everywhere. The decor gives the hotel a different, non-cookie cutter vibe that almost makes you forget how large it is. The hotel is really two building across the street from each other, connected by a breezeway. In general the place seemed to be clean and well-maintained; I didn’t experience the elevator issues mentioned by other reviewers.

Our room was in the lagoon view building. Overall the room was fine. It was large and clean and the AC, fridge, TV, etc all were in good working order. The bed was comfortable and the linens were good quality. The bathroom door had a frosted glass panel that was easy to see through and didn’t provide much privacy. There was also a nice sized balcony with chairs and a table overlooking the lagoon and the roof of the hotel facilities below. The only thing about the room that I didn’t like was the tile floor; it was cold and seemed to make it a little loud, but definitely cleaner alternative than carpet.

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful! There were lots of places to explore and we discovered a new area of the property every day. There are nicely furnished porches and patios all over. There’s a lawn overlooking the ocean with hammocks to relax in. The large pool has a swim-up bar and a waterslide with “beach” access just a few steps away. There is also a hot-tub and another pool in this area. All of this is on the “beach” side of the hotel. The lagoon side also had a small pool.

A great thing about this hotel was that it has a casino. A real casino, not the kind of casino you might find at a hotel in the Dominican Republic. The sushi bar/Chinese restaurant just outside of the casino had great food and was open very late (until 3 or 4am).

Now let me just say this: THIS HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE A REAL BEACH!

The hotel is located at the end of the strip of stores, restaurants and hotels in Condado. The property is on the ocean it just doesn’t have a typical beachfront. There are mostly walled off areas that prevent you from going onto the rocks where the property meets the ocean. The sandy area on the property is very, very small and crowded and not really on the ocean (no waves). It’s worth a walkthrough I guess. The real beach is just a five minute walk from the hotel and it is beautiful!

Overall this hotel is a great value, the beauty of the public areas, cleanliness of the room, the price compared to other hotels in Condado combine to make this place a good value. You should go!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,935)

Reviewed 5 April 2011

This hotel was situated in the best Location the bus stop right near hotel for 75cents you can take the bus to old San Juan. The vibe and look of this hotel was great . Pool scene and beach excellent. It was a nice area to walk around and find other local places to eat. The hotel the food is very expensive I did eat at the noodle bar it was good. My room was very well kept . I love the bath soaps I ate the best hamburger right beside the beach for $3.50 with a water the Conrad was like over $12 for a hamburger. I did a few tours through the hotel. I would stay in the Conrad again. I think this location was easier than the Caribe Hilton.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tmoo6
ConradSanJuan, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

Dear Tammy, thank you for your kind review of our hotel; my staff and I are glad you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your comments. I read your profile and we have some things in common; we in the hotel also assist children with disabilities and make an effort to contribute to our community. I also belong to a foundation that assists young people in developing their careers; some have been sent to J&W for thier development. Congratulations on your efforts to assist others; take care.

Reviewed 5 April 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. As we were exploring in our rental car after the first night, she noticed a bite mark on her lower leg. We weren't sure what it was but found out that night.
We were lying in bed watching TV about 10:00 PM when she spotted a tiny bug scurrying across the sheet. She squashed it with a tissue and proceeded to find six more. The front desk was not answering the phone so she went down to contact them directly. They stated that they would sent the manager of housekeeping right up. 45 minutes later we called housekeeping when no one had showed up yet. A couple of workers, (no signs of management), arrived and were very sympathetic. They removed everything from the bed and cleaned and disinfected it.
The next morning we talked to the manager who said he would look into it but offered no apologies or remittance.
With fees and taxes, we paid close to $500 for two nights trying to avoid problems like this from lower rated hotels. We will definitely not be returning to this facility.

3  Thank Fyrcanine
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Our son and his bride were married outside the back of the hotel at 5PM with a beautiful view of the water. The setting arranged by the hotel was breathtakingly romantic. The cocktail hour was on the terrace located outside the diningroom. The appetizers were delicious and plentiful and the service was excellent. The diningroom was absolutely lovely and just the right size for 150 guests and the band. Again, the food and service was excellent. Everyone had a marvelous time. The evening before the wedding we had a Tapas Welcoming Party for all of our guests from the States and the wedding party. It was held on the San Juan Terrace, overlooking the water, which was decorated with several tea candles and vases with the most beautiful orchids. The hotel staff worked with me to develope the menu as I had requested Spanish style food and it was delightful (the Mojitos were delicious!!). The buffet table was elegantly casual and reflected the theme of the evening. Everyone loved it!! The hotel itself is decorated tastefully in cheerful colors and the staff is overall professional, friendly and helpful. Our guests had a memorable stay there and I highly recommend the Conrad Hotel Condado Beach San Juan, PR.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Lacey99

Dear Lacey, thank you very much for your nice comments about our property; my staff and I appreciate it very much. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and event with us. We wish you much success and good luck; thank you again. Sincerely,

Reviewed 2 April 2011

We arrived at 10.30pm (after a very long day of travel from the UK) for a one-night stay mid-March before setting out on a cruise the next day. It seems that there was a communication problem between out (UK) travel agent and the hotel, and they had no record of the booking. Nevertheless, the night manager accommodated us in one of the better (sea-front) rooms and we had a very pleasant night and morning. After I had shown the day manager my documentation the issue was sorted by the management (by emails to and from the UK) by early afternoon and we set off for our ship very happily, thanks to the professional and very pleasant way in which the issue was handled. Thank you!

P.S. I used to stay at this hotel (on business) about 10 years ago. It was then a bit sleazey (the bar by the casino) but now seems very different and a lot smarter. The garden and pools (which I didn't even know were there when travelling on business!) look really good, but we did not have the time to enjoy them Don't forget to go for the sea front rooms!

Room Tip: Sea-front rooms are best.