“Great value, delicious food, meh atmosphere”
Review of La Cueva Del Mar

La Cueva Del Mar
Ranked #32 of 1,074 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2015 via mobile

Came here to eat dinner with my hubby, and honestly the food was so good we came back for lunch one day! As a romantic dinner, it wasn't perfection...but everything we ate was excellent. Tried a wide variety of small plates and the shrimp mofungo and all were tasty. However the thing that was the best that brought is back was the fish tacos--they were that good. Service is decent, atmosphere is just ok. They do have outdoor tables so for dinner I would recommend eating al fresco.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 9 October 2015

If you like authentic food with lots of flavor and great ambiance..all that for a small price: then look nowhere else.
We visited la Cueva Del Mar for early dinner in September and fell in love with that place. Very small, friendly staff. Little hole in the wall that looks like nothing from the outside but that really delivers!

Try the fish tacos: they are AMAZING. Really, some of the best ones weve ever had.We had fish tacos (4), seafood salad, homemade french fries and 1 enpenada, 3 beers; for 40$.

Best choice for an easy bite.

Reviewed 7 October 2015

We ate here for dinner one night and enjoyed sitting outside people watch as the restaurant is located on Recinto Sur Street, which is buzzing at night. We ordered fish tacos, which were very tasty. We ordered them blackened so they were pretty spicy. Our server was friendly and accommodating. Great location for people watching and being able to sit outside is always a plus.

Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

Wife and I came for our anniversary dinner and had a great meal. Didn't have to wait for a seat and had the option of eating inside or at the sidewalk tables.
Our service was a little slow but we weren't in any hurry that evening so it didn't matter to us. Our meal started with margaritas and we shared the mahi bites and sweet & sour fried calamari. Both dishes were great but the calamari stood out! They also offer shrimp prepared the same way that I am sure we would love. The drinks were strong but just OK in flavor.

I continued my trend of getting mofongo, this time prepared with a mix of yucca and plantains and topped with shrimp and garlic sauce. I loved every bite an was to share :). My wife got the huachiningo (red snapper) which was a popular special all over the coastal restaurants. It was served as a whole fish and tasted great.

We split a slice of tres leches cake which was just ok.

Overall it was a great meal with a good server. Cost $100 total so don't go if you are on a budget!

Reviewed 29 September 2015

We are locals in the Condado area. My husband loves the fish tacos and my daughter the fish tenders. Prices for food are reasonable but no for the desserts. Desserts where served in very small portions and with poor with presentation.