“MontCaribe”

and 1 more site!
Mont Caribe Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2015

Wow! I had an amazing time staying at the MontCaribe. Two of us stayed in one of the studio rooms for a total of five days, and I felt very safe and comfortable the entire time. The room was large, clean, and had a stove, refrigerator, and a balcony. Fernando, the on-site manager, was very friendly and helpful. He took us on a brief tour of the area upon arrival. I walked to the beach twice a day, went jogging in the neighborhood, and frequented the Kasalta bakery for coffee each morning. Ocean Park, the neighborhood, is a happy medium between touristy and down-to-earth local culture. And finally, the price is right. You can easily catch a bus or walk toward Condado, Old San Juan, or Santurce.

Room Tip: #10 was a great room
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Christina B

Reviewed 21 March 2015

Myself and 10 others stayed at the Mont Caribe for nine days and I can honestly say we have no complaints. The apartments were clean when we arrived and throughout the week housekeeping would come in clean up. The location is perfect because it is literally 3 blocks from condado beach which is beautiful. Throughout our stay Fernando always made himself available whether it was showing us around or helping us rent cars so we could travel Puerto Rico. He was always enthusiastic and very helpful. I highly recommend the Mont caribe.

Steven McDonald

Room Tip: Our apartment has a fully equipped kitchen and the Wifi was pretty good!
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steven_Rico
Reviewed 27 February 2015

Just to be clear, I'm not a negative Nellie...there are a lot of positive attributes to Mont Caribe Guesthouse. Fernando is an enthusiastic and funny guy. He did a great job of letting us know he would be present for our arrival and making sure the taxi knew where to take us. We did wait, though, for a little bit in the rain at the front gate. Another guest with a room just to the side came and let us in. Once we were inside, he was there welcoming us with a smile and a beer. Great start...except that, somehow, he only knew of one of our two reservations, although both had deposits. No problem; he found a second room for us. The only drawback was it had no hot water. It DID have "fresh" water, though. I was the only one of the four of us who picked up on that fact, I found out. And, while I'm ok with a brisk shower (SUPER fresh), it was not quite the experience I'd expected. When a partial refund was refused, we were offered the use of a beautiful shower downstairs...but either its hot water connection was temporarily disrupted, or there was a significant disparity in the definition of "hot" water. The rooms also need a few more linens; the mattresses definitely need a mattress pad, as you do not want to see what they look like.
All that said, Fernando is a gracious host, AND Mont Caribe is just four blocks away from beautiful Condado beach. He also is very helpful in offering ideas for places to eat. The guesthouse itself is very quaint, and the tile floors are very pretty. Our room had a refrigerator in it, as well as a beautiful balcony. It was very spacious - two beds. It also is secure, which is important.
I've stayed in two other guesthouses in the Condado area, so my expectations have a foundation. I wouldn't say I'd never stay here again...because, in a pinch, I certainly would. It offers a lot of bang for the buck. However, I would definitely ensure my reservation was solid, and I would check, prior to my arrival, that my room had hot water. If I were in the mountains of Ecuador, it would be acceptable. In this area, near Ocean Park, it isn't.
I might give it another shot, in the future, as long as I don't have my aunt and uncle with me, who are a little less adventuresome than my husband and I.

Room Tip: There are rooms without windows...you'll get better ventilation with one. And, not all balconies...
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank arclemons1967
Reviewed 18 February 2015

We called a head to make sure he would be ready for us since the gate is always locked and secured. Our $62 room was huge!!!! Walked in there was a fridge and a microwave and two chairs then through another door was the main room with a closet, bathroom and big bed. Another room was attached with an additional bed and closet space with a dress of drawers.

Out side was a huge rap around balcony with chairs and a view.

My wife and I (27-29 years old) walked all around the area all times of the day and night and felt super safe.

15-20 places to eat within 1-5 mins of walking

Beach was 4 min walk away

Hotel staff was super helpful, he may not always be there but he gives you a card to call as he lives around the corner

Even a sweet air conditioner that kept us extremely cold, we had to use a blanket we brought with us it was so cold :)

One and only one draw back was lack of "hot" water but I think he said it was only our room and honestly it was 88 degrees out side and a cool shower felt great!

Did I mention how huge my room was!!!! Cause wow! He even let our two friends stay as long as they wanted since we had ample room, I would expect if this had a hot shower he could easily get $120 a night the location is epic!!!!

Laundry was only 2 min walk away even

• Stayed: February 2015
3  Thank Chris_from_alaska
Reviewed 10 February 2015

We stayed in the Mont Caribe Guesthouse for 10 days. The entree om Sunday Jan.25, 2015 was moderate, but the manager Fernando turned out to be very friendly and helpful. The room with kitchen and bathroom-shower in the guesthouse was clean and equipped with all the necessary things. Also the primary things like salt, sugar, milk and bread were available. The manager gave us many good advices. The price-quality ratio is very good and whoever looks for a simple but good guesthouse, this is the place to look for.
Willy and Urmila Underberg