“Never Disappoints”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 4 September 2017

We visit Puerto Rico every year and Pelayo is one of our favorites. Their Paella is one of the best around and is prepared to order (takes 20-30 mins) but sooo worth the wait. Seafood version is our favorite. Besides, you can get a bottle of Albarino (at just $25 a bottle) and an order of their pulpo (octopus), which is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the wait time goes by very easily. The Paella is served from the pan table-side which only adds to the excellent service you'll receive. David has been our server and he is one reason we returned multiple times this year. David is happy to make recommendations and on a recent visit he recommended their grilled Langostinos (4 HUGE pieces) for my wife who is a shrimp lover. She loved it! For me, he recommended the trout. He also gave me options for preparation as I would like it. I chose olive oil and garlic and was presented with a tender and tasty whole fish which had been expertly de-boned. We added some Amarillos (fried sweet plantains) and rice and beans to our meal. Parking lot with valet across the street. Breakfast, lunch or dinner you cannot go wrong.

1  Thank TangoCharlie49

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

It was the best service ever;
Excellent waiter very dedicated and attentive
Loved the food & service
Will definitely will be back

1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

The food here is incredible. Stayed for a week in San Juan PR and this was the only restaurant we went to TWICE.
The ceviche is perfect, just enough citrus to bring out the full flavors of the halibut without it being too "lemony". Incredible.
The paella is overflowing with seafood (clams, mussels, white fish, shrimp etc) and the meat paella as well, but with tasty, perfectly cooked chunks of chicken, pork and beef.
The tembleque (dessert) is OFF THE CHARTS amazing. Best in PR in my opinion. A mix between flan and mousse and so damn tasty it melts in your mouth.
I have to say the best service we had in PR was the waiter here, David. He guided us to all these amazing dishes, had the perfect amount of charm and humor and efficiency without hovering around the table. He let us have a romantic meal and completely enhanced our experience. What a professional. He was one of the main reasons we went back again (the awesome food of course was the MAIN reason). Thank you David!!!! You rock!!!!
Ambience was clean and nice and intimate without being crowded. The bus boy was also very sweet and helpful!
We have been telling everyone in our hotel to go...you should too

1  Thank JBruggs3
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

THE BEST restaurant we have been to so far in Puerto Rico. Our server David V. is simply world class. He made our dining experience so magical. We followed his recommendations and started with an out of this world Halibut Cevice... followed by an OH MY MY... that Paella was the best I have ever had (even better than my grandmas)... As if that wasn't mind blowing enough, David recommended the Tembleque which was the most orgasmic dessert I have ever had. If you're travelling to Puerto Rico, this place IS A MUST! Do not leave without trying their Paella and Tembleque. Truly a magical experience for us.

2  Thank RossJoe2015
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Went here with my family and asked if they could make a cocktail to which our waiter, David G., mockingly responded that the place was not a cocktail bar 3 times in a row. After this, he came to our table and suggested again mockingly that I should go to a nearby bar next time with a stronger tone this time compared to the first time. In addition to this, he forgot the appetizer we ordered, and from certain point of the night, he stoped talking to me directly. The food was great, but this situation took most of what could have been a great experience away.

1  Thank Javier C