“Hard to find”

Mayaguez Resort & Casino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This establishment did not register on my GPS. I therefore had to find my way to it by conventional means like maps, road signs and enquiry. It turned out that it is only a short distance away from PR2, but the only sign is placed in such a way that it can only be seen by those who come from the San Juan direction. We came from Ponce and therefore missed it. Enquiry got as there eventually.

The first impression of the hotel is very good. The lobby is stylishly modern, registration
was friendly and efficient. The room was not generous, but adequate. It showed its age by wiring along the baseboard, but it was clean, and so was the bathroom. The room did not have drapes shutting out the sunlight, which proved more of a problem for viewing the screen of my laptop than sleeping in in the morning.

Meals in the restaurant were OK, but no better. I would not come here just to eat.

I would not come here for the free internet access either. Although the hotel devotes a whole page of its website in applause of its technology, the actual experience is one of mediocrity. Molasses has been seen to run faster than the hotel's data stream. Forget about a video clip to finish before you have to check out.

Our room looked out onto the pool system. If we were forty years younger and had brought our kids, we would have had a grand time. As it was, we just enjoyed the view. Unfortunately, that also included a view of PR2 a little further on, which meant that the room was not all that quiet, even with the single-paned windows closed.

And I am sure the air conditioning in this hotel was set to near 0°C to make us Canucks feel at home. Good thing I brought a sweater!

Room Tip: I would think a room not looking out on the pools is more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ergoe

Reviewed 5 February 2012

The hotel as a whole is run down and dated. Bathroom fixtures are old and don,t work too well. Bed was comfortable but badly made up. Room service gave a time of 25 min for delivery but arrived after an hour,with part of the order missing. It was a featured Hotel for La vuelta PR but despite having a good number of cyclists staying nothing was put in place for the early 5am departure. Unlike Ponce Hilton which opened its restaurant early for us with a complimentary breakfast.[Charged less as well] Suggest La Vuelta removes this hotel from its listing.

Room Tip: Any room in any other hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mayumi007
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I use to go there a lot to the casino; the dance club and stay occasionally for the weekend but I have not returned because the cuality of the dinner buffet has deteriorated, the dance club only has an extremely small dance area and its way too expensive for the poor service.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have been coming to this hotel for 30 years as I have family here.There is new management in place with changes taking place that are very detrimental to business. The plumbing needs adjustment . One can be seriously burned with the hot water. The thermostat needs to be regulated.The faucets go every which way . Some go to the right, some to the left, some inward and some outward. The halls are freezing and the rooms upon first entering are so cold, that we had to turn the air off.
The open air veranda on the ground floor is now closed in with glass . It is freezing and unappealing. It used to be so beautifully tropical .
The most offensive part is that the staff has been instructed NOT to serve tap water to the guests. Under No circumstances can one get tap water in the bar or restaurant. One has to buy bottled water. There is NO CHOICE! YOu want water ?? Buy it ! Does not matter that the dinner bill is $100.
It gets crazier...... The owner of the hotel also owns the bottled water company ! How is that for greed ? How is that for dumb business tactics? What is the owner thinking ?
This next comment is simply inexplicable. There is a buffet , a very varied buffet with many interesting offerings. Price ? For men it is $24.95. For women it is $14.95 ? have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous ? Who is advising this owner ?

Room Tip: I believe they are all the same. Have never been upgraded.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank chadwickNJ
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I've been visiting this hotel for several years now. This year it is a totally different place, what happened? The beautiful Verandas with the outdoor Caribbean feeling was gone! Its a huge closed up frozen place now I felt as if I was locked up in a freezer. The Verandas WAS SO COLD that we had to leave because my friend kept sneezing. Why would a place be so hostile and not even serve me a glass of water at the Restaurant? Unbelievable I asked for a glass of water with my meal and I was asked if I wanted sparkling or bottled water which is $2.50, all I wanted was a small glass of tap water because I don't drink none of the above and the glass of water was DENIED! Because of new policies they can no longer serve free water which is totally STUPID how greedy can you actually be when you can't give me a glass of water but we are freezing our @#$ off at the Verandas? What happened to the old management? Is it an inexperienced mentally challenged person running this place now? I seriously recommend you change the place to what it was before or you'll be out of business very soon. And I don't even want to talk about the rooms which the safety box don't even function properly. What Happened to the live music? There is no entertainment, you can't walk around the area because it is in a secluded place. All the employees look like their souls have been sucked out. What happened? Is the money hungry Lucifer running the place now? We checked out and went to Villa Cofresi which is very small but awesome it was right on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charles F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
2.1 km away
27.6 km away
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Mayaguez Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!