“A strange hotel. Not worth it if you don't have kids”

Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We just got here and found it very strange. First, hotels are booked in San Juan but there is no one here. Ok, so Ponce is not San Juan, but there is almost no one here. Very eerie. The beach is almost non-existant. It looks like they have lots for kids to do, but if you are two adults, I think you are goign to be bored. The room is fine. Nothing special, but clean and large enough. The hotel is sprawling, which is not bad, but without people, it is weird.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mlferm
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear mlferm:

Thank you for sharing your comments on your visit to our Resort.
Most customers that appreciate visiting us during Winter enjoy the fact that the Hotel offers so much quietness and laid-back atmosphere around the pool and other areas, unlike the typically crowded limted pool areas an general facilities in the San Juan area Hotels.
However, this does not mean our Resort is empty! It is mainly because of the varied mix of guest types we have, the large size of the property, and the fact that many visitors tend to take advantage and explore the many attractions nearby, or the extensive choice of options we have, like the golf course, the two pool and beach sections, tennis courts, spread out gardens, etc...

Some people like to combine their Puerto Rico vacation, and stay a few days in the Metropolitan area for nightlife and Old San Juan walks, and a few days in the South for relaxation and maybe a mix of culture, local traditions and natural environment escapes.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Came to PR for work in early Feb and stayed here for 5 days. I brought my wife and 2 year old son. We had a great time at the hotel/resort. Great looking place. Our room was modern, comfortable, and included a great ocean front view with balcony. One night, the hotel offered free happy hour cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The breakfast buffet was included for us (though typically extra) and was excellent... my wife enjoyed that very much... had great variety and made-to-order omelettes, even eggs benedict! (the cook was very friendly). The hotel felt safe with a guarded gate entrance. Location was great... a few minutes from the boardwalk area and 10 mins from the Ponce city center. The hotel had a private beach, but the waves seemed really rough (not good for young children), thus we opted for other beaches about 30-40mins away, which are excellent for families and children. The hotel staff were readily available, friendly, and helpful on recommendations to outside restaurants and beaches. My son kept busy at the pool while I was at work, and there were plenty of activities to keep anyone busy (basketball, mini golf, table tennis, tennis, board games, bicycles, kids bowling, etc...). My wife kept busy... by our 2 yr-old (lol). The casino seemed lively, though we didn't go inside (had a 2-yr old with us!). There was even a very decent arcade area that kids/teenagers would enjoy. Would definitely come back here, if given the opportunity.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tsk_02

Dear tsk_02:

Thank you for your kind comments on your visit to our Resort.

We are so happy you and your family enjoyed the services and facilities we offer, and look forward to welcoming you back, should your travel needs bring you back to the area.

Hasta la vista!

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here once before and was looking forward to a return visit. I arrived late around 10:30pm and could not wait to go to sleep. I was shocked when I arrived to my room to find there was NO BED. I actually called the front desk looking for it. I had an end room so there were two baclonys (including a hammock) but since I didn't want to sleep outside I was concerned. Turned out that I had what they call a 'parlor' room - the bed is a pull out couch. WHAT?!?! After a long day of travel this was the last thing I wanted to hear. Although there were very nice to offer to send someone to make up the bed for me, what I really wanted was a new room with an actual bed. The front desk was NOT willing to move me. They said the hotel was full and that I was out of luck. I was stunned since I had booked this ahead of time and my reservation was confirmed.

After demanding a new room they were able to accommodate me and lo and behold gave me the room right next door. Weird that I had to get angry before this could happen. The decor in the room was nice - very updated from my last stay. The lock on the adjoining door was broken, which bothered me as I was staying by myself. After day 2 they were able to fix the lock.

There are several eating choices and one nice sit down restaurant here. The sit down place is uber expensive 'La Cava' but the food is great. I loved the lobster puff appetizer. The breakfast buffet is very nice and I looked forward to eating there each morning. Also, I loved the cherry juice served one morning - scared to know what makes it taste so good. :-) The 'store' on site was very lacking. Strange location and seems to be almost forgotten about. I was looking to buy a book and the didn't offer anything like that - in English or Spanish.

I always use the Valet and they are very good. Overall, I would stay again - but I would call ahead next time to ensure I am getting an actual bed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank zaezae

Dear zaezae:

Thank you for your review, and also so sorry you had inconveniences upon arrival with your room assignment, but also happy it could be promptly solved.

Thank you also for your appreciation of our newly decorated rooms, and for the service and experiences you report after visiting our restaurants and using our Valet service.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our first night in Puerto Rico before heading to the mountains. We had reserved a king room in the Executive Tower but upon arrival we were told that they were full and we would have to settle for a garden-view room. After going back and forth with the lady at check-in, she finally found a room with two doubles in the Executive Tower. I believe that some of the rooms in the Tower were being refurbished and therefore not available for occupancy.

Our room turned out to be fairly comfortable, although the bathroom needed some updating and double sinks would have been a plus. The view of the Caribbean was wonderful. I wish I had known that it was safe to leave the doors open at night as other posters did. The duvets on the beds were quite heavy and I had to keep the a/c cranked to keep from sweating profusely.

I found it fairly odd that there was no separate check-in for the Executive Tower. Also, a better selection of drinks in the lounge would have been nice - flavored run (even if it is Don Q) just doesn't cut it with me. Fortunately we woke up too late to have breakfast in the lounge and were able to call down to the front desk for vouchers for the main restaurant. The extensive buffet was excellent as was our server who gave us detailed driving directions for short cuts to Hacienda Buena Vista and our next hotel, Casa Grande Mountain Retreat. This saved us a lot of time and aggravation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear CraigCT2:
Thank you for commenting on your visit to our Resort.

We are glad you enjoyed staying at our Executive Tower rooms. Check-In at the Eexecutive lounge is possible, however, it is usually more convenient for the guests to be welcomed upon at the main front desk, given the layout of the property's buildings.
It is true that we have a limited selection of alcoholic drinks available at the Lounge. However, unlike most other Executive Lounges, these drinks are complimentary and not based on Honor Cheques. For a complete menu of drinks that will be charged to the client, we offer the alternative bars, such as The Bohio Snack Bar outdoors, or La Cava and the Lobby QBar indoors.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

There is nothing bad to say about the resort but there is nothing to gush about either. We prefer the smaller hotels and this one was quite large and very busy. We had a room in the Executive Tower which was very clean and comfortable. These rooms have not been updated yet as the other ones have been so they are a little outdated but adequate. Our ocean view more than made up for it. Put me on a balcony with an ocean view and I'm loving it!

We did not go to the beach on the main property, but we went to the golf course beach because we read on here that it was nicer. But we had a car so we mainly found our own beaches on the south/west side of P.R. The pools were nice but much quieter at the golf course if you don't have kids.

We thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and enjoyed 2 days of golf.

The staff at the restaurant for breakfast (Executive Lounge is closed on weekends) was amazing! They made us feel welcome, like family, very attentive. Great job! Housekeeping staff was wonderful too!
I am giving a rating for Service as very good only because the front desk staff could use a little work.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear bunbop:

Thank you for your kind review of our Resort, and about your enjoying our Golf Course.
Our Hotel can be large or small, depending on the point of view (with only 255 rooms on an 80 acre property!), if it is compared to any large resorts, or with a small Inn or "Parador"... In any event, during Winter, the Hotel pools are usually very quiet, and they can get busier during week-ends...

Thank you also for your praising the service and hospitality of our Restaurant Team... we will surely let them know!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
64.6 km away
78.0 km away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
77.8 km away
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!