Rainforest Inn(El Yunque National Forest)
All reviewsher grandsonel yunquegas stationunique experiencesan juantreated like familyhome away from homeamazing hostsan amazing viewacdirectionsguavaroadsdogtrees
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Nilda is great, and the guest house truly is in a stunning location, although rather remote. It’s on the edge of the rainforest, but don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a convenient location for a visit to El Yunque – it takes almost an hour to drive back around to the park entrance; you’d be just as close staying in San Juan! Nilda will rent out her extended family members to drive you around if you don’t have a car, though they’ll charge quite a bit for this “service” (it’s still cheaper than a taxi though). I didn’t go in the swimming pool but it looked nice enough. Beware the mosquitos at night.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank R M
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I felt privileged to spend a few days at La Paloma Guest House near Ceiba, Puerto Rico this week. Nilda, the owner, was a welcoming and attentive hostess. I was traveling alone, and I felt like she adopted me for the week. On the first night, she took me to a stone ritual circle on the hill behind the house, where we watched the rising moon and took in the incredible view of the rain forest. I learned about the Taino culture, Puerto Rico in general and the rain forest just to name a few of the many topics Nilda was willing to share about. The coquis sang me to sleep every night and it could not have been more relaxing. The family was terrific, respectful of space, yet always seemed to be right there when you needed them - sometimes a difficult balance for some B&B owners find.

This place is rustic, just want I wanted, but be aware of that if it's not for you. For $65 a night I got breakfast, a couple of dinners even, the view and a some new friends. I strongly encourage you to get yourself to La Paloma is you are visiting Puerto Rico and want to get away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan.

Room Tip: I had the room next to the pool and loved it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TJRiverFalls
Reviewed 29 July 2012

everything was wonderful!!! very down to earth friendly helpful family !!!they will inform you on many awesome places to see in p.r place was fine with great views of the sea and country !!
highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank akabobcat
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I will always cherish my time at the guest house, by far the highlight of my trip to Puerto Rico--and I love Puerto Rico. The family atrmosphere, breathtaking views, spacious welcoming accomadations...and the most generous hosts family with their smiles, and genuine love of people were heartfelt. Michael, Nilda, Laura, Tiffany, Joey--all were wonderful I feel they are family. I will return to Puerto Rico and I will stay at the guest house again.....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank sganady
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My friend and I wanted to stay a few days on the east coast of Puerto to visit the beaches and rainforest, so we stayed at La Paloma. Nilda's grandson or daughter, Laura, drove us wherever we needed to go, and all we had to do was pay for the gas. Laura also made us breakfast every morning and a few other meals also, some authentic Puerto Rican food and some other more standard things, like breakfast sandwiches. The food was delicious! She's a fantastic cook.

Nilda is also the sweetest, most spiritual woman I've probably ever met. Even though my friend and I aren't the "hippie" types, we had an amazing time with her, just talking about her Taino culture, stargazing, and learning about nature. She caught a coqui frog for us to look at, and she drummed for us. She also helped us book plane tickets to Culebra when our ferry tickets didn't come through, and gave us recommendations for places and things to eat. She really went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and having a good time. She also took us to La Conquistador to play the slots and visit the pools.

On the actual property itself, the view is INSANE. The place is literally in the rainforest, and the view is gorgeous. We woke up every morning and gawked at it for 10 minutes. The pool is also really nice and clean. The place is not fancy by any means, but it is extremely comfortable and cozy. If you're looking for a place that spotless and resort-y, this isn't it. Come here for an authentic experience with genuinely kind and generous people who are willing to show you around.

I would not hesitate to go back and stay with them again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends