“Great setting but could be so much better”
Review of Hotel Bakoua

Hotel Bakoua
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Trois-Ilets
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Lots of people have mentioned the great location - on the beach overlooking Fort de France bay and close to plenty of other restaurants that are walking distance. It is also an easy drive to some lovely villages along the coast (so hire a care from the airport rather than an expensive taxi or coach transfer).

So as for the hotel itself:

1. SERVICE.

I had asked at the time of booking not to have a ground floor room. I arrived at the check in desk at 10:00pm and the man there was very welcoming and explained about the hotel, and directed me to me room, although no one was available to actually show me to it. Needless to say it was on the ground (beach) level right next to a public beach (although used mainly be hotel guests). I was surprised he hadn't mentioned this at check it. Also there are no lifts and I had heavy bags which I had to take down two flights of stairs to my room in semi darkness.

The next day, my breakfast plates where cleared and the table given to someone else while I was waiting for my eggs to be cooked. I didn't get an apology - just " I thought you'd gone" from the restaurant staff. So service is really not very good for a hotel that's claiming to be 4*. Also there is no food or room service after 10pm, and there are no snacks in the room. Also, they only provide water on the day of arrival - why penalize people who stay longer???

ROOM

Very dark as there is covered outside seating at beach level, and somewhat dated. The toilet flush in my room kept sticking, the shower control was not fixed properly and there is no temperature control for the AC - its either on or off and you can control the fan speed only. Not all the lights worked either, and there were plenty of mosquitos in the room when I arrived. On the plus side the bed was very comfortable, it was nice to have a nespresso machine in the room, and the Wi-Fi worked well.

MEALS
Breakfast was fine - not a huge choice, but had all I wanted and it is served in a nice open setting overlooking the coast. EUR 20 for hotel guests. There seemed very limited choice on the evening menu so I ate elsewhere.

FACILITIES
The infinity pool looked good and there is lots of watersports available on the beach.

All in all I was not impressed given the price paid, and would probably look elsewhere if I came to Martinique again. However, if they refurbish the rooms and have a look at their customer service things could be very different. I generally research places carefully before booking and hence most of my reviews are quite high. That is why I have given this a 3 point review to make a distinction when somewhere doesn't live up to expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for the most modern rooms or recently refurbished
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I stayed at Bakoua a year ago and only now saw a demonstration that explained to me how I was robbed. I had a room by the beach and because of the breeze didn't use the A/C, the open door, held by the door chain was enough. There was a safe in the room, but it was not operational and not having a lot on me I didn't bother. I was leaving at 6 am and when I woke up the door was open, the key laying on the floor. Because my wallet and an expensive watch were present, I decided that I forgot to put the chain in, when I got to the room late in the evening. Then I noticed that my bracelet was missing and when I was checking out, I discovered that there was some money in my wallet, but just a couple of dollar and euro notes, the rest was gone. What surprised me, was the reaction of the receptionist when I told him that I was robbed - none, like nothing happened.
The reason I'm posting this only now because I could not understand how the door was opened and as I said, I have just seen a demonstration how to open a door chain using a scotch tape. It's quite ease, really, and I am confident that this is exactly what happened and that it was an inside job. I got to the room at midnight, I got up at 4. Somebody knew that it was my last night, somebody saw my door held by the door chain, and I am no longer surprised by the reaction of the personnel.
I have to admit, they did leave my watch, some money, and the most important of course, my driver license and the credit cards, so it was not too bad. The hotel itself is nice. Not sure about 4 stars and some refurbishing wouldn't hurt. Nice beach, although the menu hasn't changed, the food was good and service very pleasant. I may go there again, but will make sure not to bring too much of the valuables and make sure that there is a safe in the room or better yet, at the reception.

Room Tip: The rooms by the beach are definitely the best
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank mian11224
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I arrived, the only English people on site, we saw one American couple. The staff were so friendly, they have restaurants on site but were happy to recommend near by restaurants. We stayed 10 nights and ate in 10 different restaurants all easy walking distance and all a bit different and all very good. The hotel upgraded us for free to beach front first floor which was right on the beach . Lovely room with coffee machine, fridge, ensuite. Great for buying a few outside goodies. Breakfast at Hotel is very very good, crepes,omelet, fruit, pastries etc.
The staff in beach bar were lovely as were all staff we met. Water sports available at extra cost, good snorkelling bay, very safe, great sandy beach, loads of sun loungers, even with day visitors you could always get a nice spot in sun or shade as you choose. Great great great.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Stayed here as a solo traveler and loved it. It has its own white sand beach and comfy chairs to relax in. Wifi works on the beach! Beautiful rooms, very nice staff and delicious breakfast! Centrally located to walk about. Bus top right near by to adventure out of area.

Room Tip: bungalows down by the beach front. calm and right on the beach!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed in the Hotel Bakoua for a whole week from Feb. 25 to March 4, 2017. I was very pleased with it! All of the rooms are waterview,, with beautiful views of the very large Baie de Fort de France and of Fort de France, even at night, directly across the water from the hotel. I was also very happy with my "garden view" room and its large and spacious bathroom. I was very impressed with how abundant and beautiful the hotel's grounds are! I loved its physically unusual pool and scenic and very spacious beach. I loved the breakfasts and the beautiful scenery from where it is eaten! Importantly, the hotel has a very excellent and advantageous location, having easy walking distance to a variety of things. Even more importantly, I found its employees, particularly at the front desk, to be generally cordial, warm, and helpful, in French and/or English, with one of the men at the front desk, a Jean-Claude, to be a memorable and impressive stand-out!

Stayed: February 2017
1  Thank stevehk2017
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trois-Ilets
0.3 km away
27.3 km away
French Coco
French Coco
#1 of 3 in Tartane

Been to Hotel Bakoua? Share your experiences!