All reviews infinity pool coco bar beach front private beach crepes fort de france beach bar chateaubriand crepe station catch the ferry taking advantage jean claude buy a bottle other hotels in the area nespresso machine bacon and sausage the wrong room
Reviewed 13 November 2017

I stayed at Bakoua a year ago and only now saw a demonstration that explained to me how I was robbed. I had a room by the beach and because of the breeze didn't use the A/C, the open door, held by the door chain was enough. There was a safe in the room, but it was not operational and not having a lot on me I didn't bother. I was leaving at 6 am and when I woke up the door was open, the key laying on the floor. Because my wallet and an expensive watch were present, I decided that I forgot to put the chain in, when I got to the room late in the evening. Then I noticed that my bracelet was missing and when I was checking out, I discovered that there was some money in my wallet, but just a couple of dollar and euro notes, the rest was gone. What surprised me, was the reaction of the receptionist when I told him that I was robbed - none, like nothing happened.
The reason I'm posting this only now because I could not understand how the door was opened and as I said, I have just seen a demonstration how to open a door chain using a scotch tape. It's quite ease, really, and I am confident that this is exactly what happened and that it was an inside job. I got to the room at midnight, I got up at 4. Somebody knew that it was my last night, somebody saw my door held by the door chain, and I am no longer surprised by the reaction of the personnel.
I have to admit, they did leave my watch, some money, and the most important of course, my driver license and the credit cards, so it was not too bad. The hotel itself is nice. Not sure about 4 stars and some refurbishing wouldn't hurt. Nice beach, although the menu hasn't changed, the food was good and service very pleasant. I may go there again, but will make sure not to bring too much of the valuables and make sure that there is a safe in the room or better yet, at the reception.

Room tip: The rooms by the beach are definitely the best
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank mian11224
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I arrived, the only English people on site, we saw one American couple. The staff were so friendly, they have restaurants on site but were happy to recommend near by restaurants. We stayed 10 nights and ate in 10 different restaurants all easy walking distance and all a bit different and all very good. The hotel upgraded us for free to beach front first floor which was right on the beach . Lovely room with coffee machine, fridge, ensuite. Great for buying a few outside goodies. Breakfast at Hotel is very very good, crepes,omelet, fruit, pastries etc.
The staff in beach bar were lovely as were all staff we met. Water sports available at extra cost, good snorkelling bay, very safe, great sandy beach, loads of sun loungers, even with day visitors you could always get a nice spot in sun or shade as you choose. Great great great.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Stayed here as a solo traveler and loved it. It has its own white sand beach and comfy chairs to relax in. Wifi works on the beach! Beautiful rooms, very nice staff and delicious breakfast! Centrally located to walk about. Bus top right near by to adventure out of area.

Room tip: bungalows down by the beach front. calm and right on the beach!
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed in the Hotel Bakoua for a whole week from Feb. 25 to March 4, 2017. I was very pleased with it! All of the rooms are waterview,, with beautiful views of the very large Baie de Fort de France and of Fort de France, even at night, directly across the water from the hotel. I was also very happy with my "garden view" room and its large and spacious bathroom. I was very impressed with how abundant and beautiful the hotel's grounds are! I loved its physically unusual pool and scenic and very spacious beach. I loved the breakfasts and the beautiful scenery from where it is eaten! Importantly, the hotel has a very excellent and advantageous location, having easy walking distance to a variety of things. Even more importantly, I found its employees, particularly at the front desk, to be generally cordial, warm, and helpful, in French and/or English, with one of the men at the front desk, a Jean-Claude, to be a memorable and impressive stand-out!

Date of stay: February 2017
1  Thank stevehk2017
Reviewed 3 July 2017

The Hotel Bakoua is in a perfect location with a small private beach and several other lovely beaches within a very short distance, 2 minutes walk. Shops, many restaurants and cafes about 5 minutes walk away and the ferry to Fort de France about 8 minutes. You pay for the ferry trip on the ferry, always buy a return ticket. It's cheaper than a one way ticket.
Eating: You can eat at the hotel but limited choices, for verity check the many restaurants available "down town".
The room itself was clean and tidy, bed very comfortable. The Staff were helpful and friendly but speaks limited English, but there was always someone available who spoke fluent English. Free Wifi that worked.
I was there for Father's day and the hotel had a paid Buffet however the hotel guest were invited and did not have to pay. FREE. Now that is what I call being treated as family.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room tip: If you are a light sleeper keep away from Rooms 22, 23 and 24. Main route to the other rooms.
Date of stay: June 2017