New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Borders, United Kingdom
“Bel Jou”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I went to the Bel Jou in November to celebrate my 50th birthday. After a pleasant flight with B A we decided to take the helicopter to the hotel. We had booked an Owners Suite for our 2 week stay. We were disappointed in the room and thought it was NOT worth the extra £700 especially as we had no hot water for 4 days during our stay and the barking dogs woke us every morning at 6am. However, all that aside, the food was fantastic, plenty selections and plenty of it. The staff were tremendous and so friendly. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. The outside pool although small was never a problem to get in and have a swim. Patrick and Victoria who run the hotel for Saga are very friendly. Victoria seems to be running all the time trying to help wherever she can. She also runs the spa and my husband had a back massage when we were there and it was excellent. We could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel and our room was cleaned every day. We took the sunset cruise during our stay and I would reccommend this, we had a great fun filled evening. We did use the courtesy bus to go into Castries which has some nice shops. There are a lot of steps in the hotel but you are well warned about this in the brochure. We would give our holiday a 8/10 but found the people in St Lucia among some of the friendliest in the world.

Room Tip: We spoke to guys on the lower floor and they said it was quieter down there.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank 687lily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Billingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The location, along with the use of the courtesy bus ensures that you can enjoy a peaceful holiday reatreat with stunning views, whilst still having easy access to fabulous beaches or, go shopping. Whatever you want to do, its a 'win-win' situation.

The hotel itself is excellent. Rooms and public areas are spotlessly clean and well maintained. Along with great food and entertainment, a warm welcome is guaranteed.

This was my first 'hotel-based 'holiday on my own and I was very apprehensive, but I should not have worried. The Management and staff at the hotel are first class, they go the extra mile to make sure everything is well -taken care of, and the fellow guests were ever so friendly. I never once felt out of place on my own. I am just so pleased that I choose this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank paws44
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

My first ever SAGA trip and I was filled with apprehension! I needn't have worried - everything about the hotel and staff went above and beyond my expectations! From the moment we arrived until the day we left, we could not have asked for more: food - excellent with a great choice at all meal times - a big "must" on a holiday, 12 hours a day of cocktails and drinks all free! Hotel is situated at the top of the town of Castries, but Bel Jou run a shuttle bus several times a day - no worries about this at all Emmanuel the driver was one of the nicest bus drivers I have ever met! He obliged with information, waited for you if needs be, ensured your safety at all times. Ian, the rep was a real joy. Fairly new in post [about 2 weeks when we were there] but he ensured that all our needs were met. He's a mine of local information too, as well as a smooth operator on the dance floor! If you ever have any doubts about taking this trip to St Lucia and staying at Bel Jou, then I say DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY, it's an amazing experience. Took a flight to the Grenadines and spent a lazy day touring the small islands by catamaran - wonderful! Flew back to the airport on ur last day by helicoptor - how amazing to see all the places we'd visited during our stay there! Rootop cocktails added that touch of class and the gala dinner each week was superb! Just go there!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank mogeorges
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Being a Saga-owned/run hotel and having never previously tried them, I read the trip advisor reviews and, despite reservations about barking dogs, books anyway (Sep12). Placed in ground floor room - in what was previously a storage area I understand - which had full width glass and excellent sound proofing compared with other rooms on other floors of main block. Room well appointed and cleaning staff excellent. Food and drink very good. Be warned the 10am pool drinks service doesn't usually surface until after 10:15 (probably due to only paying the person from 10am so, quite rightly only appears at 10am).
Promised self-service Laundry facility when booked only to find this not the case. Significance being we had travelled from Durham to London for a 4 days stay before flying to St Lucia in my MX5, which doesn't exactly hold the earth. If we had known we would have gone in my partners car, which does!
Chose Virgin flights as we had previously only used BA - no difference between them that I preceived.
Would recommed for a relaxing break and the included SAGA excursions were very good.

Room Tip: Try to book ground floor rooms in tower block for better noise suppression
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bappie
Skegness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I spent Christmas and New Year at the Bel Jou with a friend. We have a room each in the main building on the second floor. Views great and the birds came onto the balcony if you spread a bit of sugar out. Watch out as the little black ones will come into an open door and pinch the sugar packets out of the tea box.
The food was very good, as with all buffets in hotels abroad a lot is the same thing every day. The soups were fantastic and I recommend them. There were joints of ham, beef or pork cut by the chef not altogether but on different days. There was fresh vegetables and they potatoes were very nice.
You could also have lunch in the Cabana by the pool which was waiter service and made a nice change from the main resaurant, the burgers were delicious. There is a bar by the pool and they made smoothies, really lovely but very high in calories I was told.
The pool is not large but is not deep so I could stand wherever I was in it. Sun beds around but some people did put towels on then disappear for quite well before returning. The brochure tells you there are a lot of steps and there are a lot. No point in going there and complaining about them as it is stated in the brochure. Steps down to main block, more steps down to the gardens and steps up to the restaurant and reception. However, with the single rooms behind the Cabana you could get around without doing steps apart from going down to the gardens. Look out fior humming birds.
On previous Trip Advisor reports I had read about the rep Andy, and I was looking forward to having what sounded like a great rep. Unfortunately he is no longer there and the current rep is a very nice man but we did not find him so helpful. All the questions I asked I never got an answer to. We were unfortunate that we were unable to go to the Orchid factory on the included trip because it was Bank Holiday and we asked the Rep if he could arrange a trip there when it was open. No feedback whatsoever. That was disappointing. The same could not be said about the Manager Patrick and his wife Victoria, they were brilliant they were really helpful to me and Patrick went out of his way to sort something out for me. They put on a brilliant New Years Eve celebration and I thought it was really fantastic that he invited some of his staff to the meal and celebrations. It was great to see them enjoy themselves in that close community. Although I did hear one guest complain about it.
We had a gala dinner on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Neither was attended by the Saga rep, as it was his "day off". It is the first Gala dinner I have been to with Saga where there was no rep to oversee things. There were several off us who were disappointed in this. But certainly the Manager and his wife made up for it new years eve and they worked hard.
The aerial tram was really nice, if you don't mind heights, it was so peaceful. The sunset cruise was a real treat, it was on a pirate ship and I would recommend this. There was a free bus that would take you down to Castries, the local beach, Rodney Bay and Pidgeon Island. At Pidgeon Island you could walk up the cliffs to the fort. If you wanted to do any of the walks in the optional trips you would need walking boots. There was also a zip wire at the aerial tram.
The rooms are a good size and well maintained, I had no problems while I was there, there is an iron, tea making facilites and even a bedside clock provided. No binoculors in rooms now you have to go to reception and ask.
All the staff were friendly and the hotel had good security plus an electric gate. It is recommended that you do no walk down to Castries as the roads are very steep and not always good quality. I would reinforce this, although some people did do it. I wonder how you would stand on insurance if you were involved in an accident as they recommend against it. The road to the hotel is steep and narrow.
My friend and I had booked the helicopter to and from the internation to local airports. That was a fantastic experience and took about ten minutes as opposed to hour and a half.
I took the tip of a previous report and took quite a few one dollar notes with me for tips and I was glad I did.
Don't miss the market in Castries and if you like spices go to that part. There is a duty free shop by the harbour where you can get perfume, cigarettes, watches etc.
We had a fair bit of rain while we where there and it can come down very suddenly, umbrellas were provided but might be advisable to take a waterproof with you. It could be quite heavy at times and then it would just go and the sun would be out again. But be warned the tilles etc will be very slippery when they are wet.
We had planned to do the Grenadines trip but sadly it was cancelled, no explanation so we did miss out on a couple of things.
Reception staff were very helpful, hello to Gilbert. You needed to put your names down for the buses as numbers were limited, the sheets are on the reception desk. Wifi was available.
I would recommend this hotel but only if you are reasonably well mobile as there are no ramps only steps.

Room Tip: No views from single bungalows but easier to get to restaurant and pool
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank luvhols25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
2.3 km away
St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
#5 of 13 in Gros Islet
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,528 reviews

Been to Bel Jou Hotel? Share your experiences!