“Best Chrismas trip ever.. This place is incredible in every way”

Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Gros Islet
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I just returned from Bay Gardens Beach Resort . My husband was there Christmas through Jan 2nd, this is by far our best trip and it was because of Bay Gardens Beach Resort. Everything was amazing our driver was there waiting for us at the airport (and we arrived early cleared customs in like 10 minutes ! ) All the drviers are so courteous and safe in Saint Lucia which is a rarity in the islands and for taxi's in the US so very impressed. When we arrived at the hotel they were greeted us so warmly and they served us with 2 rum punches. We booked a beach front suite and I requested a higher floor because my husband and I wanted privacy . We got the highest floor available and the beach front suite was amazing and HUGE. It had a Large bedroom, bathroom, 2 flat screens , full kitchen, living room/ dining room and beautiful patio so very happy with everything. Maid service was prompt and Ms. Ginnelle cleaned our room everyday and it was so clean , also you could have them do laundry for small fee very well worth it , super professional the laundry was always back in our room the same day waiting for us when we returned . One evening the air conditioning was not working properly in the bedroom so I called late that night so I could not forget I was thinking they just come up the next day which was fine because the main A/C in the lving room was working fine well they sent a guy up right then , he fixed it and was so nice about it . I also needed a "converter" to charge my camera and did not think to bring one I called the front desk to see if they had one or I could purchase one within 5 minutes a guy delivered one to me. They really go above and beyond. Other highlights include: food is good @ Hi -Tide , beach service is great Yannika (sp) such a pleasant girl and strolls the beach which such a positive attitude also she always remembers what you ordered the day before, Ms Cleo at the front desk can help with you anything you need. The grounds are really nice , pool area is good too. I visited other parts of the island my opinion Reduit beach is the nicest and best for swimming on the whole island. Rodney bay area is very nice easy walking distance with a ton of restaurants, coffee shop, grocery store whatever you need. We used Saluna Watersports (they are onsite) to water taxi over to Pigeon we really enjoyed that as well. I also recommend the spa La Mer (Beverly) she was great and they have super nice spa. Security (Willard) everyone takes care of you helps with you chairs. No vendor problem on the beach always stuff I was interested in fruit and jewerly plus they were nice and not pushy at all . Few sweet cats running around but not a problem at all you rarely see them and they looked very healthy to me (they are island cats so they will not look like US cats with big hair etc) ... I love Bay Gardens beach resort ..... This place has it all I highly recommend it and cannot wait to return. Perfect place to spend my Christmas holiday !!!

Room Tip: beach front suites are amazing higher floors give you a great view of Rodney bay
6  Thank RWADLOW
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time out to leave this detailed review. We truly do try our best to ensure that all of our guests are very well looked after during their Bay Gardens vacation. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we’re all looking forward to your return visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,226)

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed from 22 - 29 December. It was great! Just as other reviewers have stated, the staff are great and very attentive.
Room-
I was very happy with the room (just a regular room w/ two queen beds, not a suite). Everything was very clean. We had a mini-fridge and a hot water kettle but no microwave. The staff happily brought a coffee maker and coffee packs when we requested one (Mom does not like instant coffee, haha). Water pressure in the shower wasn't great at times, but sufficient. Some people complained about the remote and the TV (which was older in our room) but honestly, I didn't travel to St Lucia to watch TV.
Accidentally locked ourselves out of the in-room safe once and they sent a manager up to reset it within 5 minutes. That kind of prompt helpfulness was a theme throughout the stay.
This place is right on the beach, literally. Many of the hotels in St. Lucia are on the cliffs, which is nice for views but not nice for walking out of your room right onto the sand like you can at BGBR. Just depends on what you want, I guess.
Dining-
Only ate at one of the two restaurants, Hi Tide, and the food was very good. The thing we didn't like about it was that it is buffet style only -- all or nothing. For a family that doesn't usually eat big breakfasts, it was disappointing to have the only morning option be a $20 breakfast buffet. The dinner was $30 per person, so we only did that once. The food was good, but it was expensive. There are many restaurant options in the area.
Location-
The location of the resort is great. As I mentioned already, it is literally on the beach. No steps or anything, you walk right out onto wonderful sand. It is also a short walk (I'd say about half a mile) to a nice shopping area/mall, complete with two supermarkets. Since we didn't have an all-inclusive package or anything, we were big on saving some money on meals to spend on excursions. The supermarkets made this fairly easy, although be aware that many groceries are more expensive than in the US. Also keep in mind that if you don't opt for the kitchenette, you won't have a microwave. The hot water kettle was great for noodles, instant coffee and tea, though. Also, don't miss Edgar (who we called the fruit guy) on the way to the malls, etc. We got some amazing mangos and golden apples from him the first day and were repeat customers after that.
It is a $12 cab fare to the Friday night Gros Islet street party, if that's your cup of tea.
Beach!
The beach was amazing and we spent a large amount of time there lounging, playing around in the water, or snorkeling. It was never so crowded that it was uncomfortable for me, and I don't like being in big crowds. We found that walking to the far end of the beach (a pleasant 10-minute walk) was a great place for snorkeling. Beach vendors were not a problem, either. We saw a few, but they were not pushy or anything with us after a firm 'no, thank you.' Also, the resort security guys did a great job keeping the vendors from hassling anyone and just making sure everyone was comfortable (thanks, Wilbur!).
Holiday-
For those curious about staying over the Christmas holiday- I loved it! They had cute decorations up in the lobby area all week, and one night (can't remember if it was Christmas day or Christmas Eve) the manager had a champagne social/meet and greet. Free champagne and appetizers, and we met many other vacationers from around the world. They also had an awesome local choir that came in and sang a few island-style Christmas classics, which was really cool.
On Christmas morning we were hanging out on the beach and they set up an MC and some Caribbean-themed holiday music. Then, low and behold, I hear a 'ho, ho, ho!' from out in the water, and here comes St Lucia Santa in a paddleboat with his 'elves.' It was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Santa in a red and white one-piece Santa suit and what looked like a cotton ball beard coming on shore and walking down the beach to pose for pictures and give out gifts for the kids. I thought it was cute and entertaining and I'm 28. I think more adults posed for pictures with him than kids. There were also events throughout the day for Christmas. I thought they did well on all of that.
Extra-
One last note, not about the resort. The airport transfer thing is a bit of a mess. For some reason they seem to schedule all the flights for the day to come in at the same time, which means that getting your shuttle/taxi/bus to your resort or hotel is chaotic. We had a shuttle prebooked through the travel agency and it was still about 20 minutes of waiting in a crowd on the sidewalk outside before we were picked up. If you're staying in the Gros Islet area, the drive will be about an hour and a half. It's a bit tiring after having been on a plane for many hours, but you do get to see a lot of the island. Don't let it get you down! Once you pull in to BGBR, the staff help you unload your bags and present you with your rum punch. Then you'll start to feel much, much better. :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie G
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time out to leave this detailed review. We try our best to ensure that our team is very attentive to our guests and it’s great to see this was definitely the case here. Your point about the microwaves in our Deluxe room category is definitely one that we will take into consideration, as our suites already feature microwaves.
We hope that you will join us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

The hotel is in a fantastic location right on Reduit Beach. The rooms are lovely and spacious and are very clean and well maintained (in comparison to other hotels we have stayed in the Carribean).

The staff are very freindly and really care that you are having a good time. Likewise the management do all they can to ensure every guest is happy. The weekly managers cocktail party is a great opportunity to meet all the key staff as well as other guests, this is usually followed by a show which we thought was wonderful.

We had an extra long stay for most of December and were worried in case we got bored, but no chance! There is so much to do it is difficult to fit it all in.

The other great thing about this location is how safe it is to go out in the evening, apart from the lovely restaurants in the hotel there are several nearby bars and restaurants to visit for a change of scene.

All of the above and more is why we will be going back this year!

Special thanks to our ever smiling waitress Hilaria.

And huge thanks to the management - Mrs Parle and Ms Gustav for ensuring our stay was absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: All the rooms look good, but you may wiish to pay extra for a seaview room as they have a wonderful...
1  Thank Bernadette S
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Yours might be our favourite review title: ‘super winter holiday’! Thank you for staying with us and giving us the opportunity to make the holiday a memorable one for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back this year.

Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Our 2 families stayed at Bay Gardens for one week during Christmas. I wanted to write this ASAP to let people know of this hidden treasure.
After extensive research for a "hotel on the beach" we chose Bay Gardens. And boy were we happy. The location is ideal, the ocean front rooms beautiful & immaculate & more importantly the staff is what makes this hotel tick.
From the front desk staff(Olive, Jackie) to the support staff(Delano), to Richard ' Pro who ran the activities, this place has got it down. Also, I can't forget Charles from Security & Wilbert as well. I can't ever remember going to a hotel & remembering so many staff. Truly remarkable.
They do make you feel like you belong & you're part of their family. They try to remember you by first name (not easy when there are 100's of people) & make you feel at home. They offer great advice on the local restaurants, attractions & have activities planned every day if you wish to stay on the property. And I mean fun things like a donut eating contest(I won!), Mixology & volleyball.
A beautiful island with a gem of a hotel on a beautiful beach. Come enjoy the people of St. Lucia, the food, their culture & more importantly have an amazing time like we did for Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for spending Christmas with us and for taking the time to leave a review. We truly appreciate your very kind feedback. Our team always ensures that each one of our guests receives the best service an individual attention. We’ll be sure to say hello to all of them on your behalf.
Thanks again for your recommendation and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights. The room was spacious and had A/C and ceiling fan - TV and internet (WIFI and cable) and en suite bathroom.
The hotel is located "on the opposite side" of the marina, so be prepared to take water taxi or regular taxi over there. It was very quiet (at the end of the road).
The beach was just great - clean - and the people gave us sun chairs and towels for free (for customers of the hotel). A functional water sports shop for the usual: kayaks, water scooters, longer boat trips etc. Fantastic sunsets.
The people were very attentive, friendly and professional. The barman gave me a thorough lecture on vintage rums one evening - and the maitre d' had great knowledge of St. Lucia.
We dined one evening at their restaurant "Trio" and their chef has an interesting combo of Asian and Caribbean (and English) background to make the meals interesting and tasty.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Our resort is located within walking distance to all of the popular spots in the Rondey Bay village. It seems that you had to move between the hotel and the Rodney Bay Marina very often, but this is not normally the case for the majority of our guests.
We’re very pleased that you enjoyed Trios restaurant; it truly is a wonderful dining experience.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
28.3 km away
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!