We just returned from a weeklong trip to the Long Bay resort on Tortola. When selecting our hotel we really studied these trip advisor reviews, so its only right to pay it forward so to speak!
Overall, we really had a fantastic time. The resort really delivers in regards to beachfront location, on Long Bay which is really once of the nicest and most pristine beaches on the West End of Tortola. Our room was literally steps from the water and sand, we could enjoy a cocktail on our private terrace and watch the waves crash. Another perk of the resort was the pool. I noticed that not many people commented on really how large and nicely landscaped the pool and surrounding areas are. Mostly we prefer to swim in the ocean, but the pool was really nicer than I expected. The swim up pool bar was really convenient too, we enjoyed many painkillers and mahi sandwiches poolside for lunch :-) The bartender/ chef was a character- she was not the most outwardly friendly, but I didnt mind so much. Her attitude reminded me of a diner waitress, kind of a "what'll ya have" sort of treatment.
However, the room itself did leave some to be desired. The bathroom toilet area was like a tiny closet and in need of updating. The same with the shower, although large it had a old shower head and actually there was no door or curtain on the shower. So basically you are showering out in the open kind of behind a wall. The bathroom area did have two slatted doors you could close but it did seem odd. The TV in the room had terrible reception and we only got a handful of channels. We probably could have complained but we didnt mind, we didnt want to watch too much TV anyway. The room also had a small bar sink and fridge, which was good for storing water and drinks.
I also enjoyed a massage in the spa- its a very small little spa but the massage was good and reasonably priced. It did not have sauna/ steam rooms etc- so I would say it was pretty basic.
While traveling we really enjoy eating at the local restaurants. We had breakfast daily at the hotel which was sufficient- nothing fantastic, except the dining area is on the beach which was nice. We had dinner one night at the "Pasta House" they have on site, it was nothing too memorable. We had much better meals all around the west side of the island- Jolly Roger, Sugar Mill and drinks at Bananakeet were great.
We are a couple in our early 30's and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the resort- for the most part the other guests I would say ranged from 40's- 70's. It really is not a "party" atmosphere so to speak- not like an adult all-inclusive vibe. We enjoyed that it was quiet and tranquil, and could have drinks at the hotel pool and listen to the reggae music. We also did not see many children on the resort.
Customer service was fine- we found ourselves a little frustrated that the Concierge service was not really in place, usually at hotels you hope the Concierge can give you some real details about the restaurants in the area, usually we were met with little information.
Taxi's get very expensive on the island. You really cannot walk to many restaurants from the hotel, so be prepared to spend at least $20 every time you take a ride. We rented a car for one of the days to explore the island, which was great. The roads are windy and narrow but it wasnt a problem. When we go back we would probably rent a car for a longer period of time. Road Town is pretty far away and would have been a $60 cab ride (!) So we passed on that.
Overall, I have high marks for Long Bay Resort. I think its important to stress, this is not a posh, luxury style resort, like the Ritz Carlton for example. They do not have waitress service for drinks on the beach, or go that extra mile in regards to customer service. Dining options are not fancy, its a more casual vibe. As I mentioned, the room was in need of some modernization, but it was clean and adequate for us. The real beauty of the resort is the location, that beach is amazing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most beautiful, mile-long stretches of white sand beach in the Caribbean, Long Bay Beach Club is truly the gem of the British Virgin Islands. Guests enjoy terrific accommodations including Beachfront Rooms and Suites. The resort amenities include the historic beachfront 1748 Restaurant & Bar, tennis, amazing beach and much more. Fantastic location on Tortola's much sought after West End, just minutes from Soper's Hole Marina. Popular excursions include sailing, diving, sightseeing, and shopping. Great restaurants, bars, and nightlife nearby. Perfect for couples, friends, and families. Also ideal for those seeking a land / sea vacation that includes sailing and hotel stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Long Bay Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Tortola
- Long Bay Beach Resort And Villas
- Long Bay Beach Hotel
- Long Bay Beach Resort Villas Tortola
- Long Bay Resort Tortola