Maria's by the Sea
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Average 3/5
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
Good 3.5/5
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
Icis Villas(Tortola)
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Elm Beach Suites(Road Town)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsferry dockwithin walking distancecity viewclean roomsnice hotelbusiness tripless than a minute walkconvenient locationthird floortaxi standcoffee machineocean view roomnice balconyhotel restaurantservice was slowsuperior roomroom was large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2017

Returned yesterday from three nights here. My husband was on business and I was along for the ride! I really liked this hotel. Felt very safe being there on my own most of the time. I think it was about 30/40 mins ride from the airport, although there are some roadworks at the moment which may delay things a bit. The name says it all. The hotel is literally on the seafront. We are on the third floor in the main block and had a superb view. Very large, spotlessly clean room. Aircon, (a bit noisy). Fridge, microwave, sink & coffee maker. Bathroom a bit dated, but OK. Nice pool, but no shade/brollies. Towels from reception.Used local cafe's & restaurants for meals, so cannot comment on the hotel restaurant, but it certainly looked very nice and had a great view. Recommend the fruit smoothies from Baz's hut. Also the kiosk at the ferry terminal sells hunks of fresh banana bread ($3.50) and filled rolls ($3.50). Check-in/out smooth. Always someone on reception. Hire car desk too. Ino was very helpful. Ferry terminal to St Thomas & Virgin Gorda is 5 mins walk away. Ferry dock to Jost Van Dyke is elsewhere ($25 taxi fare) and the ferry dock to Peter Island is a $12 taxi ride way. Plenty of cafes, bars, restaurants easily walkable. Colourful huts selling tourist items, clothes etc, just minutes away. Taxi stand with list of prices just outside the entrance. Free Wi-Fi. Only thing I would say is that there is no tourist information, on day trips, boat trips etc. There is a stand in reception, but the leaflets are for medical facilities, real estate & jewellers. I would recommend this hotel and go again.

Room Tip: Third floor with sea-view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Bermuda1Cheltenham
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Maria's as a one night stop over on the way to another island. While neither of us were particularly blown away by Road Town, Maria's was a great choice. The best thing is the location. It is walking distance from the ferry pier and within eye sight.

We believe the hotel is under a staged renovation so if you book, make sure your room is in the "new" section. Ours was and it was a great night's stay. The room was clean, comfortable and updated with a great view of the water. I couldn't get my coffee maker to work but I'm not sure it was broken or I didn't know how to work it. The TV was pretty small but who watches TV on Tortola?

We happened to be in Road Town on a day when the cruise ships were not in port. That meant a lot businesses that catered to tourists were closed. After taking a walk around down for breakfast to find no real options, we returned to Maria's and had a great breakfast. I had the meat lover's omelet and my wife had scrambled eggs. No complaints there.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this as a destination but if you find yourself in Road Town, Maria's will take care of you.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evanandalisonm
Reviewed 29 May 2017

The local is good prices are reasonable. The restaurant is good. Staff are friendly and helpful with a quick and easy check in and departure. They were helpful in getting us a driver for a tour of the island and organising our early departure for the airport. The room we had was large size with tv, phone and balcony overlooking the bay and swimming pool. The bathroom was clean with toiletries and a hairdryer. The room also had a sinkunit, fridge, microwave, coffee machine and coffee suppllies

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2017

This was a very nice hotel. It was clean and safe and it the BEST location. The front desk people were super friendly. In fact when we left, there had been a little problem in the room and they took off some $ for us right away which we though was very nice. I will stay here again if I come back to Tortola.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

From the check in to the check out Maria's is always a great stay! The front desk staff are friendly and knowledgeable, always willing to assist, the wait staff offers great service. Having breakfast next to the sea is always a great way to start or end the day.

Maria's is located in the center of town with every amenity within walking distance...from pier park (where cruise ships dock and duty free shopping) to the best bars on Main Street within 5 minutes walk there can be no complaints.

The water taxi is also a short distance allowing easy travels.

The food is very tasty and while not a huge variety available, it is affordable, always hot and taste well done!

The rooms are comfortable, with big beds, all the amenities need from fridge, microwave, coffee maker and iron.

I definitely recommend a stay and look forward to my next trip!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business