“"Wow"”

Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My wife and I have been to quite a few different Islands and this one was truly unique. Peace and quiet. No fighting over beach umbrellas. Customer service was incredible. They said don't be afraid to ask, so I wasn't and they took care of all our needs. The picnic was alot of fun. They took us to the baths. The snorkeling in the bay was unreal. Waiters walking up and down the beach taking drink orders. It was definitely expensive but the value was worth the price for sure. Definitely a very special place for couples. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joe-on-mv
RosewoodLittleDixBay, Manager at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2010

Thank you so much for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back to Rosewood Little Dix Bay!

Reviewed 17 March 2010

I completely agree with the review written by Scooter of Boston. My husband and I just returned and the property, spa and fitness center are all wonderful. We also really loved our room and veranda overlooking the beach. However, the service here, with the exception of Chef German in the restaurant, left a little to be desired. We were there for 5 days and I do not think one staff member knew our name or anything about us. At other 5 star resorts, the staff usually addresses you by your name and by the 2nd or 3rd day knows what you like to drink or something about you. Here service seemed to be an after thought. We did not see any beach servers the first day and the next couple of days only saw them sporadically. Had to walk down to beach grill if you wanted something to drink and/or extra towels. Can't decide if I would go back ,b/c for the price might want to stick with Peter Island or Four Seasons resort to get better service.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Our second trip to Little Dix Bay was just as beautiful as the first.

First, the photos on the Rosewood site and on Trip Advisor do not capture the beauty of this place. With that said, let's get to the details.

The trip there is part of the fun. From New York, it takes most of day between airline transfers and a peaceful boat ride to the resort. Don't try saving money by taking the public ferry, since it will only be inconvenient and unpleasant. And, if you can afford to stay at Little Dix, you can afford to pay the Little Dix Bay private ferry trip. Once on the resort's ferry, a member of the staff provides the on-board check-in and orientation to the facilities. The best part of the trip is the bottomless glass of fruit punch spiked with rum.

This resort is NOT a Viceroy property, nor a Riu hotel. Little Dix Bay was built some time ago, and has been renovated numerous ways. Can you imagine old school modern luxury?

The rooms are nice. Not overly luxurious, but nice. The bathrooms are renovated and beautiful. Similarly, the dining areas and bar are also renovated. Nice, but not over-the-top. Slightly casual British colony understated luxury.

Food is expensive. But what do you expect at a resort? A burger is $20, and drinks are about $12. And, dinner for two at the Sugar Mill, the formal dining restaurant, is easily over $200 for two guests including an inexpensive bottle of wine. We purchased lots of alcohol at the airport prior to going to the resort in an attempt to save money on the bar bill. We drank none of it. We discovered that while on vacation, the last thing we want to do is mix our own drinks.

Food and Drinks: The food is good. The restaurants serve casual food (burgers, salads, quesadillas) and fine food (steaks and seafood with an Asian and island touch). The drinks, while expensive, are well made and have lots of alcohol. But, this resort is not for the party-crowd. That's our only complaint. We want a secluded and tranquil resort during the day, and a wild drunken orgy at nigh. Little Dix is tranquil during the day. But unfortunately, not very exciting at night. We were usually the only couple at the bar after 10pm. That was OK since we were drinking tequila shots and potent rum drinks.

Why You Should Go: The beaches and water are beautiful. Quiet. Tourist free. Private. Secluded. Luxurious. Catered (meaning, there is beach-side food and drink service). But the best part of the trip is "the beach drop." Little Dix has several boats that take you to isolated beaches throughout the island for a morning or afternoon of fun. Umbrellas, food and drinks can be provided. But there is a secret. In fact, it's almost a concerted attempt by the hotel staff to keep you from the best beaches in the area. Don't listen to the hotel staff concerning the beaches of George Dog and Great Dog islands. Those two beaches, on each island respectively, are essentially private. Those small islands, right off Virgin Gorda are a 15 minute boat ride via the Little Dix beach drop boat to paradise. Nobody goes to them. So, for the mere price of a room at Little Dix, you will spend time on an island all to yourself. Think of the possibilities that can come true for you and your spouse? Seriously. Only if you can afford a boat charter, or can rent out Necker Island, can such a unique experience be had. Bring plenty of alcohol, food, an umbrella, and towels, and enjoy what only the truly rich and famous can experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank crayon25
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My husband and I just returned from 7 nights at Little Dix Bay. I struggled with this review as I have very high expectations (as one should when it costs $800 plus a night- at minimum to stay there) and some of those expectations were not met at Little Dix Bay. I do not however want to deter someone who may think they have died and gone to heaven with Little Dix Bay as many reviewers attest. The bottom line is that Little Dix Bay is on a really great beach, with a great fitness facility, spa and tennis courts. In fact those amenities are amongst the best I have seen. This is a very private quiet place, hard to get to, so if you want peace and serenity you will get it here. The fitness center is excellent (alot of machines, tvs- very modern) and there are 7 excellent tennis courts.
I had one treatment at the spa and it was very good. If you want excellent service and a first class operation, you wont get it at LDB
The major problem with the resort Little Dix Bay is the service, or lack thereof. What makes a hotel special is not just the physical facility but the vibe and the quality of the operation. I have travelled to many fine hotels and have experienced excellent service. We did not get it here. In fact I felt that the hotel staff was unsophisticated and untrained. In fact many of them seemed genuinely unhappy to be serving us. From the moment we stepped off the boat that brought us from Tortola to LDB, the sluggishness and lack of interest/service was apparent. To me, this sets the tone for the entire experience. It just did not feel special. Until I complained about this, our experience was as follows: lousy service at dinner and breakfast (nobody explained anything, the first two nights I had to get up to get the waitress to get our food), absolutely no beach service at all, nobody bothered to know our name (at many intimate resorts, I have been greeted by name), nobody smiled and front desk, concierge very amateurish.
I never got the feeling that anybody was in charge there. In fact, it wasnt until I said something to the hotel manager taht we saw a big difference in attitude. It was as if certain of the staff turned it out because we complained. It seemed so obvious that this service was not inbred in the staff but simply perfunctory
WARNING. there is absolutlely nothing and i mean nothing to do on Virgin Gorda, now this is not the fault of the hotel so I hesitate to mention it, but it is important becasue you are totally stuck ont he hotel. The few restaruants that people mention are lousy, we ate at both of them. DONT BOTHER. There is no shopping at all, and very little to see. If you go there, plan to stay on the property. WHich means you eat all meals on the property. The food is a FORTUNE and it is very difficult to get a casual meal. Even thought they tell you that you can get what you want to eat, the waitstaff is completely unaware of this policy, dont offer it, dont recognize it and do not make it easy to get a light bite. It becomes a big production night after night.
Another warning and again maybe not a hotel flaw, but we were ripped off by a taxi driver whom the hotel called to pick us up and take us 5 minutes to one restaurant off property (which was not worth it!. ) THe taxi charged us $60.00 to go round trip for five minutes (plus the tip my husband gave the driver) and i came to find out the next day that two other passengers who went further were charged $20.00 round trip> BOTTOM LINE, when i complained to the front desk since they recommend, in fact procure the taxi for you, i got the distinct impression that this has happened before and perhaps a couple of the people working at the hotel were in on the scam. I got really angry and long story short, after being told by the front desk that the taxi driver said he told us it was $16.00 * we did get our money back. that was not before we saw the same cab driver back at the hotel later in the day who lied to us straight to our face and told us he never took us to the restaurant that night> It was AWFUL, my husband and I were afraid after that to leave the property because of the way the cab driver was screaming and lying to us. We were so upset that this guy was allowed back on the property that my husband and i spoke to the managing director. I felt that the hotel was not taking care of its guests who after all are the main source of revenue for this little island.
As you can imagine this completely soured us.
Again not LDB fault but I was not at all impressed with the people on Tortola (nasty in fact- this is the island you fly into for the most part as Virgin Gorda is closed) nor the folks in Virgin Gorda- NOT FRIENDLY
I wish i could take this property and put it in on another island with different staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scooterr
Reviewed 25 February 2010

This resort was a joy. My Wife and I have traveled to many resorts, few we have enjoyed as much as this one. No TV's in the room.....great news! Restaurants are costly but well worth it. The Staff was second to none. We look forward to returning to Rosewood at Little Dix Bay.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2.6 km away
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort
#3 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!