This was our first trip to Grand Cayman, and we spent a short three night break here at the Sunshine Suites.
As we arrived on a late flight, the reception was closed when we arrived, but the security guard was there and was waiting to show us to our room. The next morning we officially checked in and the reception staff were very friendly and efficient.
The hotel room was extremely clean and looked like it had been recently redecorated. We had a room on the ground floor which was great (3 floors and no lifts!) and we were not troubled by any noise from anyone throughout our stay. The rooms have a small kitchen area if you want to eat in too.
The pool area is quite small - we didn't actually use it as were busy doing other things, and there was hardly anyone else using it either so I think it woudn't be a problem to get a lounger. The gardens are lovely and well kept and there was a hammock in the grounds just by our room.
The breakfast was good, usual basics of fruit, cereal, a couple of hot dishes, breads, cakes etc. We also ate one lunch at the hotel which was very good, and reasonable compared to other restaurants, the food was good (in fact they have won awards for their fish tacos) and excellent service - we were looking at a map of the island and one of the waitresses helped point out places to go (including other restaurants to try!)
Having read previous trip advisor comments prior to booking, I was aware that this hotel is not on the beach. This was not a major concern for us as its just a short walk over the road, but if you are expecting a room with ocean views then this isn't the hotel for you. I think it was excellent value for the standard of hotel and will stay there again when we return to the island.
Aside from the hotel, we found that the island is quite an expensive place for eating out etc, but the standards are generally very high. We went to a very good restaurant called The Grand Old House which is just outside Georgetown set on the waterfront - excellent food, drink, service & atmosphere but a meal for two set us back US$250.
I would also recommend that you take a trip to Stingray City to see the rays there, and also to spend some time snorkelling on the reef - a really fun half day for all ages and no experience required!
Finally, car hire is cheap and its very safe and easy to drive round the island - just be careful of the iguanas crossing the roads!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunshine Suites Resort offers the best in affordable boutique lodging. We're a short walk from the sparkling ocean waters and white sand of Grand Cayman's famous Seven Mile Beach. Enjoy the convenience of our prime location near dozens of shops, restaurants and activities. Our amenities include free continental breakfast and wireless internet. In addition, Guests enjoy the amenities at our neighboring sister property on Seven Mile Beach including charging privileges to your hotel room: Use of the beach, beach chairs and towels, Beach Ambassadors to service your needs and assist you with beach lounge chair placement, unlimited use of the Fitness Center and spa. We offer our guests high end accommodations, excellent services and convenience at affordable prices. Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, a warm and friendly team awaits you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sunshine Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunshine Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Sunshine Suites Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands