“don't miss a drink here”

Sunshine's Bar Lounge & Grill
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Charlestown
Price range: US$4 - US$55
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: #1 in Nevis for over 25 years! Home of the Killer Bee rum punch - only at Sunshines. Authentic Caribbean cuisine - only the freshest local catch - lobster and fish, succulent falling off the bone ribs, bbq chicken, shrimp - best burgers and steaks! Everything is grilled fresh over a wood/charcoal grill - no gas grills here. Our food has an added dimension of flavor from the local wood used on our grill. Vegetarians and gluten free - welcome! Plenty of dishes to please you.
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Did not eat here on our recent trip, but we had a Killer Bee, i really liked it. We met \sunshine, and the place was buzzing, comfy seats, good music, great way to start tthe evening.

Reviewed 20 April 2009

Killer Bee Rum Punch is actually pretty bad -- extremely sweet and syrupy. For a better punch with a much mor subtle kick, make a reservation at Miss June's.

Food was ok -- nothing special. The fish was not as fresh as I expected and the burger tasted a little strange. I initially order the lobster club but the waiter (who seemed not to like his job) told me that they were out of lobster. An hour later, the congenial owner came out to greet us. When I told him that it was too bad that they were out of lobster, he looked completely bewildered and assured me that lobster was indeed in stock. Then he turned around to yell at the miserable waiter. It was all a little awkward.

Still, it is a famous Nevis place so go there once for lunch and to watch the beach (just to say that you've been there).

2  Thank Chicago_Traveler78
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Don't miss the Killer Bee rum drink and lobster roll it may be the best on the island!

Reviewed 14 February 2009

We returned to Sunshine's at least four times during our vacation. We liked the food and we loved the staff, Sunshine, Celeste and Nanbo. This was our home away from home, always fun.

Reviewed 19 November 2008

I find it unbelieveable that no one has posted a review of the popular Sunshine's on Pinney's Beach. I visited Sunshine's in July 2006 and once in November 2006. He has since moved a little further down the beach (earlier this year), and completed upgrades - most notably, a very nice paint job, cabanas with comfy seating and the addition of another building (Golden Golden Rock's old beach bar)

July 2006
We walked the beach from the Four Seasons to Sunshine's place. When we got there, there was a nice crowd, but certainly not crowded. We proceeded to a table and waited for the wait person. Sunshine himself was there and busy waiting on tables, etc. "Randy," our waiter, arrived about 15-20 minutes after we were seated. He asked if he could take our drink orders - no problem here - he got them to us pretty quickly. Next was the food order, but, it must've slipped Randy's mind that we didn't have a menu. So, once we brought that to his attention, he politely brought us the "menu board" and sat it down in front of us. Now granted, there were only 4 things on the menu -Lobster, Grilled Fish, Chicken and Shrimp. You would think that he could've just told us the menu and we would've made our choices fairly quickly. Well, after he dropped off the menu board, he came back about 20 minutes later and took our order. I ordered chicken, my friend ordered lobster. I think Randy must've had to put on his scuba gear and go catch that lobster 'cuz I was about halfway through with my meal by the time the lobster came! My friend went to check on her order and "Moonshine" was gracious enough to give her a Carib - on the house.

We finish our meal, and about 20 mins. later, here comes Randy with the check. He picks up our plates and instead of wiping the table with a towel, he starts flicking crumbs off the table, some of which landed in my friends lap! What the.........! We told him, "Randy, we would fire your butt if this were our place." LOL! Randy's saving grace was his attitude. He tried to make up for his service by giving us our bottled water and Ting on the house. Although it was his day off, he was helping (and I'm using helping loosely, here) and he really did keep us from really being angry with him because he was pleasant, friendly and smiling the whole while. He even laughed with us when we said we would fire him and said, "it was that bad, huh?" Hilarious! We could've gotten pretty heated 'cuz you know how you can act when you are hungry, but as I said, Randy's attitude and demeanor saved him from the wrath.

The food - the chicken was a little bland and had no "kick." It was served with rice 'n peas, and a couple slices of bland sweet potatoes. The lobster was GREAT and came with the same side items. I thought that authentic island food had a little spice! Has Sunshine gone too "mainstream" and "kicked down" the flavor of the Caribbean since he caters to those who frequent a certain high-end resort?

On this trip, we didn't sample the "Killer Bee."

I was not impressed with Sunshine's and I feel that had it not been his luck that a certain high-end resort had not moved in next door and helped hype his business, he would be just another "beach shack" with mediocre food. In my opinion, Sunshine's is just a place to go so you can say you've been there.

November, 2006
I decided to visit Sunshine's again for one reason and one reason only - to try a "Killer Bee." I was NOT impressed. The "Killer Bee" that I had - well, let's just say I don't know what all the fuss is about. I barely tasted any alcohol and it tasted sorta bland, to be perfectly honest.

We arrived at Sunshine's on a sunny, hot Thursday afternoon and were accosted by not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4, yes folks, 4 "beach vendors" selling jewelry and CD's.

While we were there, a Cutter had docked and the people were making their way down. Once they got there, the vendors were all over them. I heard several comments, and I'm paraphrasing here, but the jist of them were "can you wait a second until I sit down and get a drink?"

Don't get me wrong here, I understand entrepreneurship and people trying to make a living, but it can be a little overwhelming. Also, please know that a polite "no thank-you" will send them on their way if you are not interested. I did not encounter one beach vendor who was overly pushy or rude.

Since November 2006, I have visited Sunshine's on at least one other occasion in 2007. I must admit that I did enjoy the "Killer Bee" on that visit, and subsequently got "stung" as I had several.:) I recall that afternoon as a pleasant experience - a good place to people watch and take a dip in the cool waters of the Caribbean.

2  Thank KCJazznBBQ