See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 March 2017

If you are just looking for a place to lay your head for a few hours, maybe I would recommend this hotel. Otherwise, please do not even think about staying here. The pictures make the hotel somewhat look appealing but it is old and needs much work. The rooms are dingy and dark but I gave it one star because there was a nice view from our window. The staff at the front desk are completely rude and disorganized. Your room is never ready an their filing system consists of a bunch of paper all over the desk. Our room was given to someone else so we had to take someone else's reservation, then they suggested we would have to move when the individuals arrived. The nerve. Furthermore, they never clean your room. For 4 days, we had to beg for towels and after being promised our room would be cleaned while we were out, we came back to a dirty bathroom/toilet and a bed that was made up with the same dirty sheets (they just flipped the sheets on the other side). Furthermore they steal. PLEASE READ THIS AGAIN THEY STEAL. You may be better off not having your room cleaned because the maid and manager steal. The maid rummaged through my friends suitcase and took $40 US. Then when we asked at the front desk, an hour later, they came back and gave $50 to my friend beginning us not to tell. The next morning, we complained to the manager and her response was "you got the money back so what is the problem". We called the police because we had had enough. They do offer breakfast as promised which was ok. The plates and cups were dirty so check them before eating. In conclusion, there are so many better hotels across Trinidad, do not waste your time or money.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank TravelZZZAl0t
Reviewed 3 February 2017

I have been visiting Trinidad & Tobago just about every year around the Carnival season with a gang of Norwegian men. I have tried several different hotels and of course, we also try to find a place where the price is reasonable and not a "rip-off" just because it's Carnival. Two years ago I stayed at The Ambassador for Carnival (6 nights) with 8 male adults from Norway. We did not really experience such negative things as what is written here, even though the hotel does not give "5-star" accomodation. We found that when things needed to be fixed or corrected, the staff was always Cooperative and there for us. Norwegian men are not difficult to please, as long as they are comfortable and they can find a reasonable place to relax and have fun. The Ambassador hotel is such a place and that is why I shall be going back there for 6 nights with 9 male adults from Norway to participate in the Carnival this year (2017). The boys and I just know that we shall enjoy ourselves at The Ambassador, and we are looking forward to meeting the Manager, Mr. James Girod and his staff again. Reasonable standard and reasonable prices!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I visited Trinidad to attend the wedding of a dear friend. As I was not familiar with the Island I put my husband in charge of finding me an accomodation close to the wedding venue. So I ended up at Ambassador's Hotel. The place looks nice from the outside, but when you look closer e.g. bathrooms you notice the place has known better days and in fact is a little outdated. Also I wished they had a wider variety for breakfast. As I stayed longer than a week I got a little bored of having scrambled eggs and toast ;)

That being said, here are the pro's:
- VERY friendly staff, always ready to point out nice places to visit. Whenever I needed something they immediately took care of it. I made friends with all of them, but for me Allison was flat out the nicest person I met there. Tip: they have business cards of reliable taxi’s so you don’t get ripped off.
- Lovely pool on a higher platform which gives you a very private feeling.
-Great balcony view! (room 117)
- It is located in a nice neighbourhood (safely close to the military base).
- I enjoyed the silence at night (no loud noises from other guests).
- Easy access to and from malls, port of spain and other cities.

Room Tip: Room 117 has a nice night view from the balcony
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shagoefta
Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

All the reviews are absolutely accurate. As Port of Spain was virtually fully booked we stayed here during Carnival for 4 nights at an outrageous cost of $350 per night. (Daylight robbery). No room service the whole time. We were given one towel each and occasionally managed to swap it for a clean one from a trolley in the corridor. Room filthy, just not cleaned, even when we arrived. The foyer, stairs, corridors not vacuumed at all in the time we were there so squashed food and debris all over the place.
Our booking included breakfast - haha. Food was left to go cold from when it was cooked so you could look forward to cold bacon and scrambled eggs, you could stir and mash your tea bag with a fork (no spoons) and sit down at a table with dirty tablecloths and left over food smears for your enjoyment. My husband felt like he had been in a prison. There was certainly a huge feeling of relief when we left. No one seemed to be doing any work apart from perhaps James, the manager, who although tried to be helpful lacked any dynamism to make any changes to what was probably an uphill battle. Apparently the owners are an old couple who have just let the place go to the dogs.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lynne S
Reviewed 29 September 2015 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel three years ago and returned in 2015 no upgrades were done. Old furniture rooms smelt old leaking ac unit that dripped water whole day. Breakfast choices were limited and the balcony had moss
All in all a terrible experience will not be patronizing this hotel again...

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends