“Rude Staff....”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New Jersey
“Rude Staff....”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is our 3rd time at The Royal West Indies and I have never been so sad to see a place go down hill. My room was 721 and the dishwasher was full of rust.I called for maintenance but he said he'd let the owner know. That was it.I had to handwash everything. The microwave was rusted also. Housekeeping never cleaned very well.It looks likes they came in to just dust a little bit.
The front desk was very rude whenever I asked any questions. It seems to me like they were bothered by answering any questions I had.The excursions desk was even worse. She was very rude and gave very vague answers to my questions.They push tours like crazy and offered no advice on restaurants. I asked her to call a phone number for me and she said she couldn't find the phone number. I had to do everything by myself on the internet. Thank God for this site. It was helpful to me b/c I had no help at all from anyone at the Royal West Indies. While I was on the beach I asked the towel guy if he knew how much the bannana boat was and he said $30 and he'd call one for me, if I needed one. I said I was okay, thanks anyway.
I walked up to the bannana boat myself and he said $20. Everyone was money hungry and I was disgusted. The bar was terrible. It took 45 mins for 4 virgin pina coladas.
Bottom line...rude staff...terrible room cleaning. I won't go back.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank sylgre
Jeffrey B, Manager at Royal West Indies Resort, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank for you for your comments and I am sorry that you did not have a good experience on your 3rd visit to Royal West Indies Resort. The Resort has some of the highest customer service ratings on the island and it is quite surprising that you encountered these problems. In terms of the dishwasher, a replacement was made available shortly after the complaint was lodged, however, our maintenance technician was told that it could wait until the next day, which was the day that you were checking out. The microwave does have "minimal" rust on the inside due to the salt air that all the resorts experience on the island. We have a shipment arriving soon in which that microwave will be scheduled for replacement.

Our housekeeping staff take pride in their work and follow strict cleaning guidelines which are checked everyday. Your comments will be reviewed with our Operations Manager who oversees that department.

The front desk and tour desk are both located in the main lobby. The tour desk does not provide information on restaurants and is operated separately. We have not had any complaints from any other guests regarding lack of information or knowledge on restaurants. However, your comments will be reviewed at the next front office meeting.

In terms of the "towel guy" quoting you a price for the banana boat, he is actually correct as it is $30 with most providers of this activity. There are some that offer less and some that offer more, depending on the operator. We do not keep track of their prices, especially since there are several banana boat operators. We always encourage the guest to get the quote directly from the operator as it is not activity that is offered by the resort.

The bar service has been known to be very quick, however, beach service may take a little longer depending on the number of orders and the distance of the bar from the beach. As well, drink service during the evening will take a little longer as the restaurant has been very busy over the past 2-3 months. Your comments will be sent and reviewed with the restaurant operators and the bar manager.

Again, we are take your comments very seriously and we will make every effort to rectify some of these issues that have been raised.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We just got back this week from a 5 day/4 night stay at RWI Resort, and we wish were still at the resort! The staff was warm, friendly and bent over backwards to accommodate our every need. The rooms were roomy and cozy, and were fully equipped with conveniences, even a washer and dryer. And the food at the resort's Pelican Bay Restaurant was some of the best we found in Grace Bay, especially the TCI Island Breakfast, which is steamed grouper in Creole sauce with homemade grits and tomatoes -- yummylicious! The chef has discovered alchemy in blending Western cuisine with local flavors. The resort offers all kinds of water sport equipment for rentals, including Hobie Cat, sea kayaks and snorkel gear. The grounds are immaculately maintained, by far the best on the strip even compared to the super luxe resorts, and the hot tub is heavenly.

The only issue we had was the bicycle rental -- the bikes we got were very worn to the point of unstable, and the baskets in the front kept falling off. But other than this, our stay was perfect. We will definitely making return trips.

Room Tip: Even the courtyard rooms have beautiful views as they face the pools and breathtaking greenery that...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan L
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is my second time at this great resort and I’ll be booking again for next year! It’s ideally located on the most beautiful beach in the world. The rooms spacious, clean and well appointed. The staff very friendly and accommodating. The grounds and pools are well maintained and lush. The “quiet” pool and hot tub pool area are great options for those who don’t want to share a pool with children. The Club Med next door was a bit of a nuisance in the late afternoon until early evening blaring music, but other than that, it was a fabulous experience. Check out Fresh Bakery across the street when you’re there for awesome fresh baked goods!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlobeGirl4EVR
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I just spent a week's vacation at Royal West Indies Resort and it was amazing. The room was clean, the bed was extremely comfy, and there was absolutely no noise at night. I read other reveiws about the possibility of same Club Med noise at night, but I can assure you that it was not the case for us.
The staff was wonderful as well. When we arrived, Sherman, took us to our room that was decorated with rose petals on the bed, and in the bathtub. Also, they were nice enough to bring us a bottle of complementary champagne for our trip.
Lastly, the beach was perfect. The water was crystal clear and the staff on the beach was extremely nice as well. Calvin was so helpful and very pleasant. He was not pushy at all, and everyone around us seemed to love him as well.

Great all around trip, and I can't wait to go there again,
Alan

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan W
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed January 18 -22nd for my birthday weekend. It was very nice from the moment we arrived we were tended to. Room service everyday and they even left a special gift on my birthday. The beach is splendid bluest waters I have ever seen. I read a lot of reviews that said the resort restaurant was nothing write home about...but I loved it the food was well seasoned and delicious. We rented a car and drove to other parts of the island..chalk sound was great. All round great resort for a great price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple