“Off the beaten path place - great food and desserts”
Review of Cafe Christine

Cafe Christine
Ranked #15 of 113 Restaurants in Christiansted
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Quiet courtyard setting, menu changes daily. Small batch cooking. All desserts made from scratch. vegan and gluten free options.
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Went to lunch with a local at Cafe Christine and had a wonderful lunch. It is a cute place set back behind a courtyard a street up from one of the main roads in Christiansted. Its a great little treasure.

1  Thank Scott_Online

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Any place that served rose-shaped ice with starfruit in a glass of water is a place I’m going to love. Café Christine in Christiansted, Saint Croix reminds me of one of my favorite French bistros in Fort Worth that closed a few years ago. Situated inside a courtyard on the street across from the fabulous boutique Adorn, Café Christine is the kind of place you meet a friend you really want to catch up with. I say this because you’ll want to stay long enough to enjoy coffee and a dessert or two.

There’s seating inside and out, local art on the walls, and old photographs on the table. The place was packed with locals by 1:00 pm. Café Christine was named after the original French owner Christine, who split her time between Saint Croix and Paris. Café Christine has since changed owners in its 20+ years but maintains the Parisian feel, including a menu that changes daily. You order off a chalkboard. Très French indeed!

The food is truly exquisite at this hidden little cafe. The portions are generous and you can easily eat multiple courses without feeling guilty, as many of the dishes are loaded with fresh, local veggies and high-quality ingredients. Thank goodness, because it would be a travesty to visit Café Christine without getting dessert.

Here are a few of my favorite dishes:

Tuna Tartare
I wish you all could have seen my face when I took a bite of the tuna tartare salad. I must have looked like a cartoon character with my eyes bugging out of my head. I’ve had plenty of tuna tartare in my day but none with such a wonderful punch of bright ginger. Served with green and blue corn chips in a soy dressing with scallions and ginger, this is everything I want in tuna tartare. It’s salty, it’s sweet, and is loaded with flavor.

Veggie Platter
I had high hopes for this because our server mentioned that she eats it for lunch every day. I don’t blame her one bit! It’s a huge plate of healthy lunch options: a fantastic vegetable quiche with a flaky, buttery crust that will you have you excited to try the dessert pastries, a pasta salad with peas, olives, and herbs, a lemony lentil salad with tomatoes and onions, a couscous salad that tastes a lot like toubbleh, and greens tossed in an elevated caesar dressing.

Duck Terrine
I’m not the quickest person to order duck but I trusted Chef Lisa and her terrine did not disappoint. The duck terrine at Café Christine is smooth and not game-y at all. Served with salad, soft baguette, cucumbers, and pickles, this is a hearty starter.

Pea Soup
I so love a good chilled soup. Café Christine’s pea soup is thick and a gorgeous shade of green. You can really taste the watercress. It perked me up in the August heat.
Café Christine Saint Croix Review | The Rose Table

Mango Tart
Chef Lisa’s friend supplies her with copious amounts of mangoes during their season from a backyard tree. What’s more French than that? The tart has almond paste and caramel drizzled over the thick mango and starfruit slices. It’s almost too pretty to eat and yet we didn’t leave a crumb on the plate!

Flourless Chocolate Torte
Last but certainly not least is the flourless chocolate torte. It’s out of this world. A deep, dark, rich slice of chocolate torte sits in a pool of thick raspberry sauce. This is not for the faint of heart. It’s like eating a whole row of chocolate truffles. I can personally attest to the fact that this dessert goes great with a cup of coffee and an island storm.

Hibiscus Tea
This ruby-red chill is as refreshing as it is beautiful! I’m not a big tea drinker but a table nearby ordered it and it sounded oh so thirst-quenching. I loved the flavor of this beautiful drink, especially because it wasn’t too sweet. It’s served with adorable heart-shaped ice cubes. Isn’t the simple things in life you treasure, don’t you agree?

Café Christine is open Monday-Friday for lunch only.

One last thing: you absolutely have to visit the restroom at Café Christine. It’s the most charming bathroom I’ve ever seen! Nearly hidden in a corner on the opposite side of the courtyard order blooming vines, you need a real set of keys to access it. It’s positively charming, just like Café Christine.

Adapted from my full review on The Rose Table.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Great Lunch spot, and hidden in a nice little courtyard. All the food has a homemade feel (cause it is!) and was delicious! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We were already on the island when someone told us about Cafe Christine, so we made a point to check it out. After wandering the streets of Christiansted, you come upon a lush courtyard with an art gallery and another restaurant or two. The exterior of Christine is unassuming and a bit hidden if you don't know where to look, but it IS there! You can either sit outside on the front porch, or enter a charming little double room with about 15 tables, a handwritten menu board, crafty decor, and a display of freshly made desserts, and sit inside to enjoy a reprieve from the afternoon heat. The menu is grounded in healthful ingredients treated with delicate and gourmet preparation. We each got the tuna tar tar salad, which was perfectly dressed and balanced with several tortilla chips, and our heads turned to follow the lentil and chicken salad plates we saw carried out to other tables. Later on a pasta production walked past that I actually considered ordering to take home... but we finished off with a piece of coconut pie. I should also mention the giant ice-cube mold with a lime frozen into it was a nice touch for the water served. And the current owner is the head and sole chef, making everything in small batches every day! In summary: simple, real food with nice garnishing touches and an overall atmosphere that suggests community and genuine love of cooking and eating!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

I have had the pleasure of patronizing Cafe Christine for over 12 years. Although the original "Christine" has moved on, the current owner and staff have preserved the wonderful food and flavor of the cafe. The restaurant is located in an intimate courtyard space in the heart of Christiansted. I cannot begin to choose a favorite dish (as there are so many) but a few highlights are the Mediterranean Platter (a veggie delight), the chicken salad on greens, the Croque Monsieur and the mouth-watering freshly baked pies. The restaurant is currently "cash only" but it is well worth the minor adjustment :-). Annabelle's warm welcome and skilled, attentive service will always make you feel special and right at home. Enjoy!