The Palms at Pelican Cove
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
View Hotel
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)
  • Pool
Kings Alley Hotel(Christiansted)
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
  • Breakfast included
King Christian Hotel(Christiansted)
  • Pool
Company House Hotel(Christiansted)
View Hotel
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
1,123 results
All reviewscaribbean nightnight snorkelbuck islandoctopusbar menust croixtook picturesmonday nightsnorkeling tourbeautiful beachcoral reeffire dancersribstake homesea lifecruzan rumthe open air restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We visited the Palms at Pelican Cove in 2009 and I'm STILL thinking about it! I can't say enough about our trip. We wrote a review on Trip Advisor raving about our vacation in 2009, and 3 years later, it's the only place I want to visit again!

The hotel staff was amazing and very friendly. The beach front property was beautiful (and, after touring the island, we noticed some hotels are 'water front', but not 'beach front') We saw some beautiful shells, coral and sea glass, and the snorkeling was out of this world! The restaurant & bar did a fine job, and the complementary bottle of rum was a lovely touch!

3 years later....I think it's time for a return visit!

Oh....and my 'Trip Advisor' photo is from the beachfront at Palms at Pelican Cove!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We spent a week in St. Croix with our two girls in the spring. It was an amazing time! It was a life style my girls had never experienced. We miss it terrible. The island was beautiful and the staff at the Palms were wonderful. The old world charm of the island was nice and sad at the same time. It was poverty stricken and it is only going to get worse since the largest employer closed down in April. However the people were friendly and welcoming. I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Thanks to all the informative reviews on trip TripAdvisor, we booked our stay at The Palms at Pelican Cove and are so glad we did! Our entire experience was beyond our expectations...from the friendly staff to the beautiful setting. If you are looking for a great place to snorkel, you will not even have to leave The Palms to find it. Mitch, the snorkel guide, is wonderful! He goes above and beyond to help provide you with a great snorkeling experience. If staying there, I would highly recommend scheduling a trip with him. The food and service are both excellent! We had the opportunity, to briefly meet the owner, Chuck, who made us feel more like family than anonymous guests. They also offer themed nights for the guests' entertainment. Don't miss Caribbean night on Wednesdays and you can get your picture taken with the Moko Jumbies. To say this "was a vacation of a lifetime" would not be an overstatement in the least. Counting down the days till we can return!

Room Tip: Highly recommend upper level beach front rooms. Rooms offer a view with privacy and can even sleep with door open to hear the ocean at night.
1  Thank rsolomon2
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love this hotel so much for so many reasons. First, I have visited St. Croix many times & experienced many of the hotels and the variety that each offer, so I do feel qualified to make this very bold statement: The Palms is the BEST hotel on the island.

Here's why: most people visit an island for views, snorkeling, service, relaxation, fun, and a unique opportunity to do something aside from the "normal" life and THE PALMS IS ALL OF THIS AND MORE.

Views: Beachfront---like roll out of the bed onto the sand kind of beachfront... great breezes, great sand, great shells, and great beach chairs, towels, and "stuff." (Pool: small but so cute & quaint-- I love that they have beach toys and pool toys for fun in the pool/sand/ocean-FREE).

Snorkeling: Fun guided tours--FREE-- morning, day, and night (use underwater wrist flashlights)-- snorkeling equipment provided-- and after every jaunt, a free CD full of all your underwater pictures (the guides take the pictures of you and the fish)! Great, intense deep snorkel trips or short, simple excursions for the kiddos. Turtles, stingrays, coral, etc...

Service and Fun and Quaintness: Here is where this hotel wins the Ritz Carlton/Disney kind of service awards as far as I am concerned. This hotel is small and run by a lovely couple. They live there and they want you to feel like you are special. The open air bar reminds me of something from the 60s or 70s. The vibe is hip, eclectic, and vintage. The mermaid murals on the walls are extra folk-artish and the bathrooms in the lobby and restaurant are the nicest bathrooms on the island!

But again, the people/sevice make this hotel. EVERYONE was SOOOO nice. OMG. Happy Hour-- so happy! Free hikes to eat local fruit and see the plantation ruins- so fun! Bands/Trivia/Carribbean Specials in the evenings- so eclectic and enjoyable! We asked for a private beach dinner for our anniversary. EVERYONE went so out of their way to make us feel special. It was incredibly windy, so they had a back-up table in case we came inside, and we had the perfect balance of privacy and attention. Two days later, one of our sweet little bus boys yelled out to me, "Happy Anniversary!" I accidentally left my glasses in the lobby-- one of the yard guys chased me to my car to make sure I had them-- little, kind and thoughtful events like that happen every moment of your stay at The Palms.

Now, with all of that being said, I need to be clear and say: this is an ISLAND, this is a boutique SMALL hotel, and you are in ST. CROIX. Things are different here and that is why MOST of us go on vacation: for variety. This hotel is not as opulent as The Bucchaneer, but having visited both, the service, the food, and the snorkeling are TONS better. The hotel is not located in Disney-- the fun is a different kind of fun. The hotel is not run by a Marriott or a corporation--real people who find joy in the simple things live here.

I hope you go there and enjoy it as much as we did! Send our best to the delightful people of The Palms!

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all of the rooms were great. I know that several of the people I talked to LOVED the suites.
4  Thank JuleeImpara
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My wife and I just stayed at this resort for 4 days and had an overall good time. I know we stayed here during the off-season (and on Monday through Thursday) but everything seemed to be just one-step off from being a great resort. It was a bit difficult (location-wise) to get to for the new visitor and I'm not sure if that is simply due to navigating the St. Croix/Christiansted roads or just locale of the resort. (Gas City turned out to be a very important landmark for us and we went out towards there even though we were heading east on the island.) Dawn the assistant manager was super friendly upon arrival. I believe we were upgraded and that was great, room was really good and we were happy by the complimentary flask of Cruzan rum awaiting us.

We did find that the bar area wasn't a resort-type of bar that we were expecting. Although we met some nice people, the Trivia Night was a bit disappointing, I guess coming from the states we are used to an average crowd of 20's-40 year old's, but the trivia night was in the main restaurant area with average age of at least 50+ Caribbean night was also a bit disappointing, the band was "off" and had a much better crowd reaction when playing cover songs/party hits. There were more kids dancing around than adults so I figured it turned into a wedding reception gone wrong on the dance floor. Also, after we checked in on our first day, we headed down to the bar for a few drinks prior to dinner (around 4pm) the lone bartender was a bit swamped but managed okay, food wise , ~$9+ for potato skins was a bit outrageous when you get 1 potato split in two, it was very good, but could of been a bit more filling (or lower priced.)

The 2nd night of our stay, the A/C got backed up and started dripping, we were promptly asked if we'd like to upgrade for the night to a roof-top terrace suite so that was nice and well handled. Also noticed that the tile in the corner by the porch sliding glass door was cracking a bit...was not a big deal so we didn't say anything, but definitely something that shouldn't happen in a high-end resort (or at The Palms price point.) Also, the room safe's were not very large and also our key didn't work in ours so we kept all valuables (with the exception of our Macbook (gulp)) with us at al times. This is just another difference of good to great in our opinion.

All staff, especially Housekeeping was very friendly and accommodating during our stay.

The grounds were nice but not great, we can't fully compare to other resorts since this was the only one we saw (with beach front access) on the island. We were envious of The Buccaneer, but knew it came with a greater price tag, but appeared to be a 5-star resort all around. View from our room, Room 16 was great.

Overall, a good stay, IF we go back to the island, we may check into other option.

1  Thank bdmatt54
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

I hear you on navigation around the island. There are some pretty good road maps that help, and we have clear directions to the hotel on our website, and Palms signage on the road, but absent that it can be a little challenging. I have heard many guests comment that it adds to the adventure. And you can't get too far lost - the island is only so big. Gas City is a good landmark, and it happens to be one of the first convenience stores on island to introduce pay-at-the-pump. We're movin' forward! Our bar is open and quaint; it is one of the original features of the hotel. We like it that way, but it is not as contemporary as some in newer establishments. The crowds at the hotel change as do the seasons. Summer is our slower time so we frequently have more locals in for many of the events. But it is a great time to socialize with a few of them and learn more about the island, including fun things to see and do. The Moko Jumbies are typically the hit of the Wednesday Caribbean Nights. Legend has it that these famed stilt walkers are the guardians of the Virgin Islands culture. And they always put on quite a show. Most everyone has a great time and it's a wonderful place for kids, as well as grownups, to have fun and pickup a hint or two about the islands. On the air conditioners, because of the humidity next to the beach it's not unusual for a drain to become sluggish. We do have a maintenance program, but occasionally one will elude us. We recognize the importance of having a cool room to retire to after a day in the sun, so we always make sure that any issue is dealt with right away. Sorry about the key not fitting your room's safe; it now works fine and would have been fixed on the spot had we of known about it earlier. Regarding the grounds, we make sure that they are clean and kept. However, we want them to retain a hint of being natural, so they are not overly manicured. On your next trip down I would very much look forward to the opportunity of meeting and visiting with you, and perhaps even show you around on a snorkel of our beautiful reef just offshore. Thanks for your nice review.