“Best breakfast in years”
Review of Gladys' Cafe

Gladys' Cafe
Ranked #17 of 283 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Description: Try authentic Caribbean dishes along with traditional American dishes, at breakfast and lunch in an antique brick warehouse in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Sample all three varieties of Gladys' world famous homemade Hot Sauce - it makes great gifts for your spicy-food-loving friends. Wash it all down with fresh fruit coladas, bushwackers or pain killers.
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Had time to kill after arriving on the ferry, easy 7 minute walk.

Fabulous food, reasonably priced, best waitress ever (Patricia?). She talked up her cappacino skills, and she backed it up.

We had huge french toast, bacon & eggs, and a ham & cheese omelette that was divine. Good oj, all for a decent price.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,976)

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

We were sat promptly and our order was taken within a few minutes. Kids ordered pancakes, wife ordered French toast, and I ordered the western omelette.

Order was placed around 9:30 am and my omelette was the the last item served and that was at 10:10. Kids and wife's food arrived a few minutes prior.

During our lengthy wait at about the 25 minute mark I had to ask another server to find our server because I had ran out of coffee and I wanted a refill. Our server was seen multiple times in the bar area but never made a return visit to our table until I requested it. Also during our stay three tables were sat, fed, paid, and left while we were still waiting for our food.

The food was good, but not anything special. The syrup for the pancakes and French toast were the smuckers disposable cups. Found that odd considering price for the cakes and toast figured they'd have some genuine maple syrup based off of the price. $4 for 2 1/2 strips of bacon. $14 for an omelette that if you want cheese on it's going to cost you extra. There wasn't any powder sugar on the cakes or toast for improved presentation.

There's a sign that if you want to use a bathroom it's going to cost $1 because that's what the "landlord" wants.

I brought my concerns to the attention of Gladys's and she comped our ticket by 20% which I was ok with. With that being said she was also quick to throw her staff under the bus as to the reason why our ticket took 40 minutes to cook. She stated she was the one doing the cooking so technically the delay in the cooking of our food was Gladys's. Also as a restaurant manager if her staff isn't instructed on how to properly serve guests or handle a situation like ours appropriately that's on the manager.

Overall a poor lengthy breakfast experience. Food was good but not worth the hassle. The fact that they gave us a comp was appreciated and improved my rating from terrible to poor. Maybe it was an off day but this one time experience will not have us coming back. Upon leaving our server was seen on the sidewalk having a heated discussion with someone on her cell phone.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

We went to Glady's Cafe for breakfast on recommendation from our hotel. There was a small sign on the street, but the cafe is up the alley. Great coffee, eggs were awesome, service was excellent. A great find!

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Having lunch in this quaint, funky restaurant was fun. Located in an alley way in a historical building dating from 1850, one would expect super good local food. Gladys' delivered... And with a song. She has a lovely voice and often sings as she goes about her duties.

I had a home grown avocado stuffed with chicken salad on a bed of fresh lettuces and a hard boiled egg. My friend ordered stewed curry chicken with rice & peas, plantains, and sweet potatoes. We each had a huge ice tea. All were delicious.

Service was very, very slow that day. Don't know if this is normal. Staff were very friendly and pleasant.

Other than the slow service on our day, my biggest complaint was lack of a bathroom or a place to wash your hands. Only option was go further down the alley way to a privately owned bathroom and pay $1 to wash your hands. Even the staff has to do this.

Still we enjoyed our experience.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Food was good. The homemade chips were great. Waitress was very helpful and descriptive. Service wasn't fast but we came for the experience. Would recommend it!