The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
US$139
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$231
US$224
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
US$287
US$215
Hotels.com
US$248
US$145
  • Pool
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
US$569
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
  • Breakfast included
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
1,085 results
All reviewsclub levellady lynseywater sportscoconut covegreat baybeautiful propertygolf cartpaddle boardshobie catsnespresso machineincluded in the resort feeturn down serviceblue waterbottle of champagnesunset sailbeach servicevirgin gorda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 July 2017

The staff was excellent at The Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas. The beach was good not great. The sand on the beach is soft, but once in the water it is rocky and there is a lot of sea grass. There is a $78 resort fee per room per day, this gets you access to all the water sports equipment (Hobie cats, paddle boards, snorkeling gear, kayaks etc.) You must first sign a waiver and then it is no holds barred. Great bay is excellent for all these activities. Semi enclosed bay with no dangerous wildlife. The pool was great and the staff could not do enough for you. The towel service is also exceptional. No counting towels and giving your first born for an extra towel. The staff actual will periodically roam the pool and beach area and swap out damp towels with fresh dry ones. We had no problems getting beach or pool chairs everyday. The room was nice. We had a Garden View which was fine. The room A/C was powerful and the ceiling fan was great on low. Each room has a balcony, but after dark you will need bug spray. Each room as a can of Off bug spray. There is a safe in the closet of each room.The bathroom had a tub, show stall and double sink. The only complaint was that there was no exhaust fans/vents which made the bathroom get really hot and steamy. Especially, after a hot shower. We had a king bed and it was very comfortable. The food was good but very pricey. I could rant about the prices, but I suggest you look at the restaurant menus on the website before booking to budget out your meals. You may spend the same amount for the room as you spend on drinks and food. We ate most mornings and a little store onsite call Zest. They have breakfast sandwiches, bagels, smoothies, and sell convenience store items. Still pricey but more reasonable. This resort is on the East End of the island and there is a little town called Red Hook close by. It is a $5 per person taxi ride one way. $30 round trip for a family of three. Red Hook has a handful of dining options. We went to the Caribbean Saloon 3 nights which is mostly pub style food but they do have entrées on the menu. From Red Hook you can catch a ferry to St. John. The ferry is $7 one way and takes about 20mins to get to St. John. The ferry runs every hour from 9 am to 11 pm. If you go to St. John a must is Trunk Bay Beach. I would rate it as the best beach I have been to. The best time to go downtown ($16 per person taxi ride) is when there is a cruise ship docked. I have ben told that not all the stores open if there is no cruise ship docked. All in all the Ritz was great but the overpriced food and drinks was kind of a downer. I would stay there again as the hotel, staff and facilities were amazing.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Rob K
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We just came from our stay at the property for two nights. Carl from the Front Desk was so nice and friendly our room was ready early. The guys from the concierge are so special with us and very attentive. Our room was amazing with spectacular ocean view. The negative issue is that the pool was so small for all the guest including kids. Service from some of employee are great but not all the employers. We asked for a late check out but this was no posible, they offered just until 2pm and our flight was at 7pm so we wanted to stay more time at the beach and the pool but they never told us that we can changed at the spa and take a shower. A lady of the house keeping told us this option when we are leaving. Thats so sad because we want to have fun for our last day. We are a gold member and we are so disappointed with this situation.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keny1
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Dear Keny1,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us at our beautiful resort. I'm pleased that you loved your room and the view, and I'm sorry we couldn't grant you a later check out. We always do our best when guests request a late check out, but unfortunately sometimes the room is needed by another guest checking in. I understand that it's frustrating, but hope you had the opportunity to enjoy the resort for the remainder of the day.

Thank you again for your review. I'm looking forward to passing your kind words along to Carl, and look forward to welcoming you back to St. Thomas!

Reviewed 14 July 2017

The Ritz Carlton brand has a reputation for great service and a consistent, beautiful product.

The Ritz Carlton St Thomas stops short of these expectations. Service is spotty - sometimes too excessive to the point of annoyance, most of the time lacking as if the staff was doing us a favor. The setting is beautiful (if you were to remove the hotel). The hotel itself is the product of various renovations - our room had visible paint repair spots, popcorn (low) ceilings, water stains, etc - There was no air conditioning in the bathroom - The furniture is mismatched.

The use of the pool and beach amenities, gym, etc are "free" (if you overlook the excessive resort fee) - the pool is small and old, the gym is large and old, the beach is small and cluttered.

There is a mangrove(?) field(?) in the center of the resort that smells awful! You have to walk around it to get anywhere and the quickest route to the pool from our room was past the smelly mangroves and then past the restaurant trash area.

Lets just say the resort itself was a stinky experience.

I do have to note we were there for a wedding and the event staff was incredible - I have never been to such well executed events in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank zlshumway
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear zlshumway,

Thank you for your review and for joining us at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas. I'm pleased that you were happy with the execution of the wedding you attended. Indeed, it was an event that our team was very excited about hosting. And I'm happy you agree that we are in the most beautiful setting, on a quiet bay overlooking St. John and the British Virgin Islands. I'm sorry, however, that you were disappointed in the resort experience. I take feedback and comments like yours very seriously, and will certainly look into the items that made your experience less than the perfect one it should be. Thank you again, and I hope I'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Our room was nice, clean and comfortable...but overpriced. The beach is ok for swimming and snorkeling but there is coral and rock so it's not the kind of beach you dream about visiting on St. Thomas. Great beaches are nearby make sure you leave the property to find one. The staff was awesome! Very friendly, very helpful certainly the best part of our stay. The restaurants are incredibly overpriced and the food was below average ( with the exception of the beachside cafe.) Do yourself a favor and go into town to eat. We paid far too much for steak that was so dry it was nearly inedible, we paid $22 for a bottle of sparkling water that you purchase at Wal-Mart for $3. The beds and rooms were comfortable but in my opinion you'd do yourself a favor to avoid the restaurants on property.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robbie E

Dear Robbie,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas! I especially love reading your comments on our incredible team of Ladies and Gentlemen, who I also believe truly set our hotel experience apart. And I'm happy you got the chance to visit some of the beautiful beaches surrounding our resort. Finally, I truly appreciate your feedback on your dining experiences here. It's always helpful to hear comments from guests, as we improve the experience for future guests. Thank you again and I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to beautiful St. Thomas!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Essenza is on the Ritz property, so you already know the price is not cheap. However the service was exemplary! The Italian fare was awesome and the fresh bread with roasted garlic may make you hurt yourself! I would consider the price point a "treat" but who doesn't need a treat! Just go, wine and great Italian is always nice!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends