Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Can't Wait To Go Back”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We had an awesome stay at the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas! We arrived at night and woke in the morning to the most gorgeous view. This is a lovely property on a quiet stretch of beach with only others like us staying at the resort. The hotel is made up of a number of buildings which circle around the beach. So there's good exercise walking from your room to the pool, gym, restaurants and Club. The white sand beach is gorgeous turquoise and blue water and super clear for viewing everything. All employees are very friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely, very comfortable firm bed, large outdoor balcony, nice bathroom with large soaking tub and separate shower. We also made use of the Club! That's a must, with delicious food served throughout the day and drinks. We were celebrating our anniversary, so Champagne was flowing, but they offer all kinds cocktail options. Midday they offered a delicious variety of rum and we loved that! The hotel has its own Catamaran - we took their dinner cruise to St. John and had a wonderful time! So many wonderful things to do and see there! We loved our entire stay and hated to leave. Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room, of course!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank socalgirl60
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear socalgirl60,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and I'm so happy to see that you had a memorable time with us! It sounds like you took advantage of all that we have to offer here in beautiful St. Thomas! I want to thank you especially for your kind words about our team of Ladies and Gentlemen. Just as you can't wait to come back, we can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 4 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas last week and it was wonderful. We had an ocean view room that was not as tropically decorated as other Ritz hotel’s but was still a great size and had a great view of the pool and ocean. Also, having a Nespresso machine inside the room was a lovely surprise! I enjoyed having coffee on the balcony in the morning and bringing a second cup down to the beach with me.

Food: We ate at all the restaurants on property and by far Essenza was our favorite. The charcuterie board is one of the best items on the menu and you can’t go wrong with the entrée’s. Our bartender, Jack, was equally amazing. Super friendly and outgoing, he even took it upon himself to help fix anything we were not happy with, even if we were not complaining about it and only mentioning it in conversation. He also had some great suggestions for places to visit on the island and where to eat in both St. Thomas and St. John. We also ate at Bleu Water and our experience there was not so great. I know we are on an island but when I order steak at a Ritz Carlton I expect it to be thicker than a T-bone and cooked to order. We mentioned this casually to Jack when he asked how our dinner was at Bleu Water when we went back to him for drinks and he the F&B Manager involved. We were not complaining or looking for anything when we mentioned our experience but both Jack and Manu, the F&B Manager were determined to make it right and make sure our experience at the property was anything less than pleasant.

Manu invited us back to have dinner at Bleu Water but we ended up opting out because it was our last night and we really wanted to have the delicious meal we had at Essenza. Manu graciously accommodated us and invited us to have the breakfast buffet at Bleu Water instead on our final day. The buffet bar was delicious and we had to pace ourselves so we could try a little bit of everything.

As for the beach restaurants, their food service could use a bit of improvement. The food at Sails always took a long time to come out. I know we were on island time but after flying all morning and then driving into the hotel we were starving and waited 45 minutes for a burger and quesadilla at 3pm (it was not crowded at all). Another day we waited 45 minutes at Coconut Cove for our order to come out as well (got the pizza and a chicken sandwich that time) and we were the second people there. Jack was there bar tending and of course made up for the wait time and erased our disappointment. Overall the food at these two locations was typical hotel food. Coconut Cove had a bigger selection so we walked over to the other beach to pick up food and bring it back (5 min walk).

I can't forget about Zest! Their breakfast sandwiches were delicious - though I wish they would update the restaurant / store itself, it was a great place to stop for sodas or ice cream but had an outdated look to it. I also wish they had more snacks or prepared food (sandwiches / salads) just for variety and/or in case you don't want a big lunch.

Activities: It was our first trip away from our little ones so all we wanted to do was relax on the beach and do nothing so we kept it simple. The only thing we did was the Lady Lyndsey out to St. John’s for dinner. We were to not impressed by it. We decided to try it since it had received such rave reviews everywhere but the experience just wasn’t for us and we did not think it was worth the price per person. You can take a $15 pp ferry ride over to St. John from Red Hook (a $5 cab ride from the hotel) and have a cheaper experience. The restaurants were decent in St. John’s, we ate at Mango Tavern and had ahi tuna, ceviche and burgers. There is not a lot of shopping to do there so we walked around for a few minutes before heading back to the dock for our ride back. The plus side of the catamaran ride is the free drinks, appetizers and desserts but we are not big drinkers and were too full for dessert.

Beach: We were always the first ones down at 7am (early risers) and were the only ones out until about 8:30 am but we never saw the beach or pool chairs get full throughout the day. I loved the sunshade on the beach chairs and only wish they would do periodic maintenance checks on them (sometimes they would not stay up or the slightest bit of wind would knock them down). The beach itself was a bit small but it never felt crowded, even on the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank varandia228

Dear varandia,

Thank you for your review! I'm sure it will be very helpful to future guests of our resort. I will be sure to pass your wonderful comments along to Jack and Manu, who I agree are such great assets to us here in St. Thomas. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

It's the ritz, but the "pleasure" is all yours. Extraordinary food, service and surroundings at this beautiful resort in USVI. Have been here a couple of times and it was awesome. Nice beach, view and pool cap off this extravagant resort

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear John A,

Thank you for your review and for being a loyal guest! We'll see you on your next visit!

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We just got back from visiting the Ritz in St.Thomas. This was our second time at the hotel. The last visit was March 2014. Unfortunately this property has gone downhill a lot in the last few years- but the rates seem to keep going up.

First on the positives, the location is good. We had some service that was fantastic (Judith and Jasmine at Coconut Cove are incredible and so warm and friendly) and we had some service that was just ok (mainly pool/beach areas). The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms have been redone.

Unfortunately the hotel overall is just worn out (see pics). There are MAJOR areas on the outside that need to be kept up and it seems like they're just not putting money into this property. The gutters have literally disintegrated thus when it rains there are puddles of waters in all of the hallways leading to the rooms. There are rust stains and peeling paint on almost all the exterior surfaces. It really blew my mind to see what used to be such a beautiful hotel not being cared for in a way that speaks to the Ritz name and the $1200 a night pricetag.

Another major disappointment was the beach. When we were here before it was beautiful white sand but this time it was covered in seaweed. One day I noticed someone raking some seaweed but there was such a thick layer it seems like an impossible problem that has gone too far.

Lastly, depending on where your room is about 50% of the guests walk down the sidewalk by Sails to get to the pool. We did this walk multiple times a day and it's crazy how bad the smell is coming from the back of the restaurant. It literally smells like a huge garbage dump. Since this area is in such a busy traffic zone for everyone going to the beach/pool, I think something needs to be done about the terrible smell. I know it sounds picky but this is the main thoroughfare between the pool and the hotel rooms.

We commented when we left today that we would be surprised if this hotel is a Ritz the next time we come back. It just does not meet the usual standards.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank SL9100
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear SL9100,

Thank you for your review, and for returning to see us at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas.
I'm pleased that you still enjoyed our location on Great Bay with views out to St. John and the British Virgin Islands. And thank you very much for your comments on Judith and Jasmine, which I will be sure to pass along to them. I also appreciate your other feedback, which especially coming from a return guest, always helps us as we improve the resort experience. Unfortunately, the sargassum seaweed is a Caribbean-wide problem and not unique to our resort. However, our landscaping team consistently cleans the beach so that it is ready in time for our guests to enjoy it in the morning.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

My husband and I selected this resort and island to celebrate his birthday. We were very disappointed with the hotel and most of the employees. The breakfast/coffee shop were far from customer oriented. I ordered a latte, which was given to me cold. I had to wait in line again to ask them to re-heat it in the microwave because I could not get anyone's attention. Turn down service in the evening did not happen, even though we left for dinner at the same time each evening for a period of hours. We always got back to the room without it being refreshed. The rug in our room looked old and worn out. We decided to not spend any money at this hotel and booked excursions daily to be away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. You will be very disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tammie H
STTRZGM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Tammie H,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us here at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas. I'm sorry you didn't find our resort to your expectations, but thank you very much for your feedback-the main points of which I will certainly investigate. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to St. Thomas in the future.

Ian McPhee, Director of Operations

5.8 km away
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!