“Personal, affordable, professional, authentic and the highlight of a week long cruise!”

Blue Hole Watersports
Ranked #11 of 139 Tours in Nassau
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 20 November 2017

What a find this excursion turned out to be! As we walked back to our cruise ship past the crowded boats on the main pier I was so thrilled that we had found Blue Hole here on tripadvisor. Booking was a breeze - no "island time" here - I sent an email to Blue Hole inquiring about a snorkelling tour and had a return email within an hour and then a prompt phone call to confirm details and arrange payment with a very professional, easy to understand woman who was able to answer all my fussy questions. I was worried, as a group of only 2, that our tour would be potentially bumped if no one else signed up. She offered (with ZERO pressure) that if no one else had signed up we could pay for the 3rd seat and essentially have a private tour. At a rate of $55 per person ($165 for just the two of us) it would have been the cheapest private snorkel trip I can imagine!! It turned out that a single traveller did sign up, but even at full capacity Captain Basil has a very small boat and any tour he gave would be totally personal. Such a contrast to all the other tours we saw leaving the harbour.

The boat had a dry box to keep our backpacks and electronics dry as we were driven out to the snorkel site, and the Captain gave us a fascinating waterfront tour of the mansions of Paradise Island and an up close view of the yachts around Atlantis as we passed.

Arriving at the snorkel site, I was blown away. I had read on other sites that the snorkeling around Grand Bahama was underwhelming. Maybe Captain Basil knows less well known spots - we were surrounded by hundreds of fish of every colour of the rainbow and coral (fan, I think?) as big as me! It was too windy a day to go to the Captains regular second site, but before we had time to be disappointed he had taken us to a site where we could snorkel (not dive, SNORKEL!) within 5-20 feet of an old wreck on a reef with fish swimming in and out of it. Breath taking! The Captain made us feel incredibly safe and stood watching out or making helpful suggestions of things to look for, for the entire time we were in the water (ie. no checking his phone).

The tour left and returned exactly on time, was within 15 minutes walk (if that) of the cruise docks, was a great price and there was no pressure (no request for tips, or reviews - what a rarity!). It is essentially next door to Junkanoo Beach where we were able to walk and spend the rest of the day for free sunbathing, swimming and drinking $3 beer. A wonderful day, I couldn't recommend it enough!

8  Thank LonsdaleTraveller
"hour excursion"
in 4 reviews
"other companies"

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We had a group of 6 ranging in age from 4 to almost 40, we all had a wonderful time! Mark took us to two beautiful reefs and even gave us a little boat tour to show us Atlantis. The boat was in great order, I’ve been on some terrible snorkeling boats, this was not one of them. One of our party got a little sea sick, so we cut our tour a little short, but it was ok because we saw some gorgeous reef and lovely fish. Would definitely book another trip with Mark, he was great!

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Form beginning to end this was the best snorkeling trip. Basil was excellent. We noticed other snorkeling excursions in larger boats that had 30 to 40 people. Our boat had 6 so it felt private and not rushed. We got to tour the reefs, sunken ships and a few of the surrounding islands. The greatest was on our way back we had salty mouths and Basil had a cure for that, water/soda. It was great. Would use this company again.
Recommend this trip.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

The location of Blue Hole Watersports is within a 10-15 minutes walk from the Royal Caribbean cruise port in the Bahamas. Captain Basil is a great guy with a lot of knowledge regarding snorkeling in the Bahamas. He is patient with kids and 1st time snorkelers. We felt safe when we were with him. He really watches out for you. The place where he took us was beautiful and it was nice to sit on his boat if you choose to just watch your family snorkel. My boys were amazed to see beautiful coral and lots of different types of fishes. It was an amazing experience thanks to Captian Basil. We would also like to thank Kathy for helping us book this trip. She was professional and kind.

1  Thank reenyNY
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is the easiest 5 star review I will write in a while. In short the service from that start to the second we walked off the boat was top notch.

I reached out to BHW about a week before we arrived in Nassau. It was easy working with Kathy via email to set up a snorkel and fishing trip for my wife and I. The price was competitive compared to other places and offered a private charter rather than being grouped with a bunch of people.

Kathy checked in with us a few times prior to arrival and set up to have Basil pick us up and drop us off at the Marina Village so we didn't have to cab it to their stand from The Atlantis. Basil was right on time that morning and arrived with a smile. As a boat owner myself it took no time to see Basil was well experienced on the water and knew how to navigate to make the ride as comfortable for his passengers as he can. Keep in mind he has a 20' center console so you are probably best with groups of 2-6 max.

We started off riding about 30 minutes to a spot not far offshore to fish. Light tackle, inshore bottom fishing. We spent about 2 hours fishing a few different spots and cauch about 10-12 fish between the two of us. Nothing crazy, mostly grunts, porgie, a couple really small strawberry grouper, and some sand fish. We weren't fishing to eat, just for fun and so it was a fun couple hours for us hanging out and talking with Basil and Dane (the young first mate). It was what we expected and nice to fish but not have to spend thousands to charter offshore.

After that we spent a couple hours snorkeling a couple different places. This is where I really grew respect for Basil. The first stop we were at had a couple other boats with small groups of 4-5 there, but it was expansive and the other people weren't intrusive at all. I wish the same could be said for their boat captains. I was really saddened when we got in the water to see the other two boats had anchored right into the reef we were looking at rather than in the sand and having people swim over. Basil was very aware of where we anchored and after I came up we discussed the preservation of the reef and environment and our displeasure in other companies who seem to care less. He truly cares about more than making a dollar.

Basil was great on telling us where to swim to for the best coral and fish. We saw amazing live Elk Horn coral, thousands of fish, a seat turtle, and all kinds of sea life. If you go snorkeling pick up some bread/crackers and bring it with you to feed the fish. They will swarm to you and it will be awesome. Also, Basil brings a cooler so if you want some beer or food you can bring it with, but he does provide water and sodas.

If you are worried about sharks just know they also provide shark bands to scare sharks off. Safety was very clear throughout our trip.

Overall this was a very good trip, with a captain who is very knowledgeable of the water and area. You will be with someone who truly cares about the island. I can't recommend someone more, if we come back we will use them again.

2  Thank smlytle