“Beach Tower Atlantis, Paradise Island” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Beach Tower Atlantis, Paradise Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I was celebrating my birthday with my wife at this hotel in the Bahamas. The room itself is okay, I like the ocean view that we got. We stayed from Dec. 19 to 23, 2011. There are plenty to do just in hotels facilities, lots of rays, sharks, turtle, etc. to see. Regarding tour, blue lagoon was a waste of money, while dolphins encounter was fun and worth your money. We went to Harbor Island to see the pink sand beach and snorkeling for a day trip, but that was not too exciting. The boat leave at 8:00 am, got there at 11:00 am, we have to return to the boat by 3:00 pm, so we have only 4 hours between renting a golf cart, finding a restaurant for lunch, and picnicking at the beach. Not fun. The beach is slightly pink, oo.. about snorkeling forget it, not much fish to see..Hawaii definitely much better.

Room Tip: Room facing eastward is nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pilgrim88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

First let me explain that my husband and I have travel, pre-kids, all over the world and like exploring new areas but when we go away we would like a clean room that is newly remodeled (not runned down), nice resort with friendly staff and great restaurants...We went to Atlantis with my family for Thanksgiving this past year...here are some tips that will help you with booking your trip that I wish I knew about:

1. SPEND THE EXTRA $$$ and stay ANYWHERE but the Beach Tower, reasons: it's on the far end of the resort and you have to walk far to get anywhere...rooms need a remodel, carpet pulling up in corners, bathrooms dated and not that clean, staff is nice but you can tell the difference in service from each of the towers as you get from the lower end towers to the Cove (which is one of the most expensive areas) which made us feel cheap which it’s not cheap to go here but you do see they go all out in decor, hospitality and friendliness in the Royal Towers, Cove and Reef…another option is the Marina Village (which became my fav area, it has cobblestone streets with shops and restaurants (a parade on certain nights) and then you can stay there either thru the resort or via timeshares in condo's, we wish we knew about them b/c we were traveling with kids and it would have been easier, also it is very easy to access everything with shortcuts to different areas of the resort nearby (get lots of maps!)

2. Spend the money on the Dining Plan! We went with the Atlantis Dining Plan which was $99/adult/day...here's the catch...you order your meals (breakfast & dinner) and you are allowed a breakfast meal, dinner which is 1 app, 1 dinner, 1 dessert, then you get the bill and get to see exactly how much you spent on dinner and have to tip at least 15% of your meal and pay for your beverages (oh I believe soda, juice & coffee is included). Everything you get charged for goes onto your room card. However, we did have a few glitches with the charges not being correct and getting charged for the full dinner (which for 8 of us was $800 and very easy to do). You get to view your bill anytime on your tv in the room so we kept checking and kept going to the front desk to fix which became annoying. Bottom line, you end up saving $$ on the plan because breakfast is about $20/person and Dinner is about $100, well worth it for us...

3. There are so many pools and beach areas to go to, if you stay at the Beach Tower the beach and pool nearby kinda suck, dirty and beach had all debris and outsiders on it...go to Bluu Pool (next to Coral Towers), it has lounge chair and beds all over!!! Or the one right in front of the Royal Towers by the water park, it’s a walk but you will love it...each pool has its own beach towel hut, DJ (who plays their own music and Beach Bar (who have their own signature drinks) The Mighty Zeus is AMAZING!!!! and a must have/try!

4. The grounds are amazing, water park & lazy River (not rapids) is must but be sure to watch your bottom on the surge b/c it bounces you around and we all got bruises...you can walk around the property in about 4hrs that's how big it is…Dolphin Cay is fun for the kids but you pay a lot of $$ and get about half as much of the experience as we did on other tropical vacations.

Restaurants you MUST eat @ are Carmines, Mosaic, Mesa Grill, Bahamian Club, The Point, Virgil’s (great food but skip breakfast there) and Murray's Deli. Other's that you can pass on, Seagrapes, Atlas and Marketplace is so so..

Be sure to check out the aquariums, the "Dig", Casino is fun, shops in Royal Tower are expensive but fun to look at, Marina Village, Water Park and restaurants I recommended earlier...but get ready to open your wallet and toss the money out b/c its expensive...If you’re trying to stay on a budget explore the option of renting a timeshare at the Marina Village which gives you full access to the resort, we are going to go back soon and are looking into that option...

Lastly, be sure to use a Travel Agent...when we got there they said our reservation was cancelled and we called ours who fixed it 1-2-3 before the resort could figure it out...

Hope this helps...

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$$ and book anything above the Beach Tower which in my opinion a dump...even the lo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank lelee1265
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

How long can a review be before one gets arrested for “too much information?” Let’s press my luck…

I stayed at the Beach Towers from Dec. 18-22, which I booked directly online through atlantis.com. I got 4 nights for the price of 3 and deliberately picked those dates because it was right before the much higher winter rates went into effect on the day I returned home. I followed the advice of others on here and upon check-in asked for a complimentary upgrade to an oceanview room, which I received without a moment of hesitation. My room was ready upon arrival, even though it was before 3:00 PM. I was assigned room 7141 and checked out the view immediately after entering the room, where my reaction was, “Oh my God!”. It was amazing – the best view I ever had from a hotel room! Apart from the view, I was very happy with the room itself (the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was spotless and well supplied with towels and amenities) – there was none of the worn carpets, cracked wallpaper, dampness and humidity, mold and mildew, smell of cigarette smoke, and cold showers that other guests had written about on this forum. Indeed, I liked the hall carpets at the Beach Towers more so than the ones in the Coral Towers because they were brightly colored with all kinds of fish and shells on it. I was totally in my element. I loved the Beach Towers and would stay there again; for my purposes I thought its location was very convenient. I’m a New Yorker and am used to a lot of walking so I didn’t mind walking throughout the resort. As opposed to others on this forum, I didn’t think that the walk from the Beach Towers to the Royal Towers was all that bad – I did it 2 or 3 times a day. The hotel, restaurant, and security staff was wonderful, friendly, and smiling throughout the resort – they couldn’t have been nicer.

For meals I was on the Atlantis dining plan, which I do not recommend. I found it too limiting; I would have liked to have gone to Nobo (for sushi), Café Martinique (for fine French cuisine), and Seafire Steakhouse, but they were not included in the plan (I see that less than a week after I returned home, the latter two restaurants have now been added to the Atlantis Plan, but the cost of the plan has gone up by $26 a day). Out of the 4 fine dining restaurants that were included in the plan at the time of my stay, Chop Stix wasn’t open and the menu at Mesa Grill didn’t appeal to me (I don’t like southwestern cuisine). I would rather not have had the Atlantis dining plan so that I could have had run-of-the-house in dining choices.

The Atlantis Plan cost $99 a day, which led me to the impression that any food that exceeded that amount (not including the gratuity) would be added onto my hotel bill. However, that turned out not to be the case. The daily total of my breakfast and dinner well exceeded $99, but I was not charged extra for it. The buffet breakfast alone in Seagrapes and the Marketplace came close to $30, which would have allowed only about $60 left for dinner if a $99 limit per day was enforced. In the fine dining restaurants one would be hard pressed to find an entrée alone for less than $60.

For those of you who aren’t so fussy about food, I would recommend the Value dining plan over the Atlantis one because as its name implies, it is a better value (although it too has gone up in cost since my visit from $69 a day to $75). It includes the all-you-can-eat buffet at Seagrapes and the Marketplace for both breakfast and dinner, which means that on a per person basis you will just about break even if went to those two restaurants on your own without the Value dining plan. The Atlantis dining plan is neither fish nor fowl. For foodies the quality of its included restaurants that I experienced is not gourmet enough to warrant the cost and for non-foodies the cost is beyond the back of beyond and cannot be justified under any circumstances. I see that the cost of the Atlantis dining plan has subsequently gone up to $125 per day since my visit, which makes it even less worth it.

I made a reservation for Virgil’s prior to arrival for my first night’s dinner. The Atlantis website gave no indication that it was family style, which I didn’t find out until I entered the restaurant. The food portions are meant for 3 or 4 people and because I was a party of one, I was able to eat no more than ¼ of each dish that I ordered, which is a darn shame because the total cost of the meal came to close to $100. But even at tables with families of 4 or more, much of the food went to waste, which is a sin considering how many people are starving in this world. Virgil’s, which just opened in Nov. 2011, needs to reassess its portion sizes. In addition to the appetizer or salad, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage that is included in the Atlantis dining plan, my waiter told me I was entitled to two sides. I definitely do not recommend the macaroni and cheese – either it was quite barfy or perhaps by the time I got around to it I was already too full to have any kind of affinity towards it. Whatever it was, I will say for the record that Lean Cuisine puts out a better tasting mac and cheese.

The second night I went to Casa D’Angelo. Other than that I considered the dining area to be too dark (not like the bright picture one sees on the Atlantis website), out of all the restaurants I went to at the Atlantis, in terms of food it was the best of the lot. My very attentive and pleasant waiter, Bernardo, told me to mention him on this forum. The lamb chops were delicious, although I could have lived without the thick port wine sauce that was put on top of it, and what was described as Tuscan truffle potatoes that were underneath the lamp chops was a fancy name for what in essence turned out to be merely French fries. I had tiramisu for dessert, which was very good except for the fact that they almost ruined it by putting chocolate sauce on top of it, which cancelled out the expresso taste that they were trying to emphasize.

The third night I went to the Bahamian Club. The escargot appetizer was probably the best part of the meal, which went downhill from there. Unfortunately the New York Strip Steak was tasteless, even with the peppercorn sauce that came on the side. My waiter told me that any side dishes that I order are not included in the Atlantis dining plan and I would be charged extra for them. However, since I didn’t want just a piece of steak and wasn’t satisfied with the meager, bare-boned, unmemorable accompaniments that came with it, I ordered a baked potato and creamed spinach as sides. I wound up having to send the baked potato back to the kitchen because the outside skin was covered with salt. I asked the waiter if he could give me another potato without the salt, but after checking with the chef, unfortunately he couldn’t because that’s how they’re all made. He took the $9 charge for the baked potato off my bill and mercifully I was never charged the $9 extra for the creamed spinach (although of course I still had to pay the 15% gratuity on it). I had cheese cake for dessert, but it was not of the quality that we know back here in NY, which for the price it should have been.

It had been my intention to go back to the Bahamian Club on my fourth and final night, but because I was less than impressed with it, I cancelled my reservation (and far enough hours in advance that I wouldn't be charged $50 for it). Instead, I had dinner in more mundane surroundings, the buffet at the Marketplace in the Royal Towers. Unfortunately it was awful and the less said about it the better. The choice of “sushi” was limited to California rolls and other types of rolls, but was not sushi per se as I know it. The pasta was overcooked and totally tasteless – it was like eating rubber.

Contrary to the reports that I read on this forum, in none of the restaurants did I have any trouble getting refills for my iced-tea. As soon as the wait staff saw that my glass was empty, they promptly refilled it without my having to ask.

I am not a lunch eater so I didn’t have lunch, with one exception. I wanted to see how their pizza measured up to real New York pizza, so I shelled out $7 a slice for 2 slices of plain cheese pizza at Marina Pizza. Like they say in Brooklyn and on “Longuyland”, fuhgeddahboutdit (although actually I’ve had worse).

I had also toyed with the idea of having lunch another day at Murray’s Deli, which bills itself as a New York Style Deli and has all the underpinnings of it with matzah ball soup; barley soup; bagels, cream cheese and lox; pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. But then when I noticed that they didn’t have chopped liver I said, “A deli wannabee, but not the real McCoy.”

Getting back to the Atlantis Resort as a whole, while admittedly it is expensive, the additional on-the-spot price gauging for unknown and/or unused goods and services wasn’t nearly as bad as many people on this forum had made it out to be. I knew in advance that the 15% mandatory gratuity for each meal was not included in the meal plan and would be added onto my hotel bill. That came to about $60 for 8 meals (4 breakfasts and 4 dinners). No hidden or mysterious charges were added onto my bill, with the exception of what appeared to be a double gratuity at Virgil’s my first evening, which was promptly and cheerfully removed the next morning when I pointed it out to the front desk. I looked at my account daily on the TV to make sure that nothing fishy was going on. I had been led to believe on this forum (prior to July 2011 when I booked my vacation) that a daily mandatory bellman and maid fee would be added onto my bill, but mercifully when I checked out there were no such charges. If there were such fees in the past, they have either been eliminated or figured into a higher cost for hotel rooms.

I am a single, 59 year old adult, which made me sort of a fish out of water in this water activity-based environment. The vast majority of resort activities were geared towards kids. The adult activities such as Pegasus Race and Sports Book, Complimentary Gaming & Betting Lessons, Comedy Show, and Aura Nightclub didn’t interest me. I often walked though the very large casino to get from Coral Towers to the Royal Towers, but didn’t partake of it because I don’t gamble. Complimentary activities that didn’t appeal to me were Arts & Crafts, Early Bird Croquet, Trivia games, Water Hazard Golf Chipping, Hula Hoop, Home Run Derby, and BINGO. The only complimentary activity that I took advantage of was the movie, <i>The Help</i>, which I saw my first evening in the Atlantis Theatre. It was excellent and I’m glad I had the opportunity to see it. Unfortunately none of the other nightly movies that were offered for the remainder of my stay appealed to me.

Perhaps amazingly to most of you, I didn’t partake of any of the water parks, slides, and rides, or swimming with dolphins or sea lions – brought my bathing suit, but didn’t put it on once. Didn’t go in any of the many pools at the resort, as wonderful as they looked. The beach was beautiful with white sand (the consistency of sugar, as others have written), but I found it difficult for walking because it was uneven, as opposed to the nice flat beaches like in Bermuda. More to the point, the ocean, as clear and aqua as it was, was too rough for swimming (the red and yellow flag was out, meaning exercise extreme caution). I brought my own snorkeling equipment, but didn’t use it because the sea was not conducive to snorkeling. Nor did I take any of the outside snorkeling excursions that one could book from the hotel – I stayed on the hotel premises the entire time other than to go to the shopping strip across the street from the hotel to buy a large bottle of water (which was $4, but nonetheless a bargain considering that a small bottle at the hotel was $4). I didn’t even go into downtown Nassau.

Then why did I go to the Atlantis? I love tropical fish, I visit aquariums all over the world, and went to the Atlantis solely for the fish. For those of you who know Yiddish, I have a <i>fishagass</i> (a <i>mishgass</i> about fish). There were certainly more tropical fish at the Atlantis than one could ever imagine for a hotel property, the amount and variety of which would put many a commercial aquarium to shame (even species that are not native to the area, such as clownfish and lionfish, were well represented in The Dig). There were three aquariums at the Atlantis, plus Hibiscus (Turtle), Stingray, and Predators Lagoons (the latter filled with sharks). The Ruins Tank in the Royal Towers had the largest, cleanest, and most spectacular aquarium on the premises, and is especially impressive at night when it is lit up. I went to almost all the daily feedings in the various aquariums and lagoons, the times of which are listed in the daily newsletter (except on Mondays, when the sea animals are given a day of fast). The most exciting feeding of all was of the two huge Manta Rays in the Ruins Tank. It was also interesting to watch the diver hand-feed the Stingrays with fish in the Seagrapes Aquarium.

Unfortunately the professional aquarium staff seemed not up to par, which is strange because the Atlantis Paradise Island is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The inside glass of the aquarium known as the Predators Tunnel (near Coral Towers) hasn’t been cleaned in a long time (if ever) and was dreadfully soiled with algae, plus water from the aquarium was leaking down into the tunnel onto the spectators. I felt sorry for the animals on the other side of the glass. Seagrapes Aquarium in the Beach Towers also had a cleanliness issue with the glass, although not nearly as bad as the Predators Tunnel. In the Hibiscus Lagoon (which in addition to the many turtles, also contains a fair amount of tropical fish), I had to report a Grey Triggerfish to 3 different personnel (including the senior aquarist) because I didn't like his aggressive behavior towards the most beautiful fish in the whole resort, a Queen Triggerfish (whom I think was a male in spite of the name). I was afraid that “my man” (the larger, more colorful, and more mature of the two Queen Triggerfish in the Hisbiscus Lagoon) was going to starve because at the daily 2:00 PM feeding in the Hibiscus Lagoon, the Grey Triggerfish wouldn’t let him approach anywhere near the food (shrimp, etc.) and would chase him away every time he tried. The aquarium staff must have been amazed that a guest observed things about the tropical fish that they were blind to. If you go there, please check up on my Queen Triggerfish at the 2:00 PM feeding at the Hisbiscus Lagoon to see whether my complaint has subsequently been rectified.

I’m not a shopper and didn’t buy anything at the Atlantis. There were lots of very high end stores on the premises such as Bvlgari, Cartier, Gucci, Lalique, Ferragamo, Versace, and Columbian Emeralds International, all of which were empty. Don’t know how they pay their rent. I was attracted to a small crystal fish at Lalique which came in various attractive colors, until I found out that it cost $115. These shops are there to give the Atlantis an upper class caché to what is essentially an upper middle class resort, but I think the Atlantis would be economically better served having more mainstream stores on the premises, such as those found in major shopping malls, as opposed to New York’s Fifth Avenue.

Final things I can think of – I used the safe deposit box in the room, which was very convenient, so that all I needed to carry around was my room key (which was required not only to charge meals to my meal plan, but also as proof of stay to show the security staff when walking throughout the resort). There was a small refrigerator in my room, but it was not stocked with anything, which was fine with me because the words mini-bar and exorbitant rip-off are synonymous with each other. I did not bring my laptop computer because the hotel charges $15 per 24 hours of use. It’s against my principles to pay for wi-fi when it is available for free in almost all other hotels where I’ve stayed. However, I used the 15 minutes of complimentary internet access per day in the library in the Coral Towers, which was perfectly adequate for my purposes considering the brevity of my stay. Although I would have liked to have used the fitness center to work off some of the weight that I gained, I didn’t spring for the cost, which for a 4-day pass would have equaled almost half of my monthly gym bill back home. Prior to arrival I arranged transportation to and from the airport directly through the hotel. They contracted that out to Dan Knowles Tours, for $26 each way, and I was happy with their service, as opposed to others on this forum. I was picked up and delivered back to the airport promptly and as scheduled.

The bottom line is that I’ve come to the same conclusion that many others have on this forum – the hotel and its staff are great (5 stars), but the food is not (3 stars at best), so it averages out to 4 stars.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
31 Thank Imafish2
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

it's a dump!! dirty carpets., lazy staff. SO expensive!! I would never recommend this place. They had some issues with my credit card. They cancel my Res. and charged me double of the amount. I would not recommed Atlantis.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Sofia B

Travellers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Overall very disappointing.

I'll list the pros and cons of our stay. Overall it was a great disappointment.

Pros- If you have kids it will be an experience they will never forget. The fish tanks and turtle ponds are endless. There are plenty of pools and the lazy river attached to the rapids was the best part of the trip. The water slides are fun and like I said there is so much to see and do as a child.

Cons-We went to Atlantis to check out the resort for a possible wedding location. Within the first hour of our stay we knew this was not the place to be. My fiance and I have traveled quite a bit. We have stayed in all types of hotels and resorts. I would rate this stay among the worst. If you stay at the Beach Tower, you must understand that this area is given the least attention. Imagine a budget hotel and this will make you understand. Granted, it is 200.00 value but this is a vacation resort people. I was expecting at least a clean room. The wallpaper was peeling off in our bathroom, the overhead light was broken leaving an exposed recessed light in bathtub area. Our refrigerator was very dirty and we had bugs around our coffee pot area every day. The sheets had holes in them as well as the towels...I could go on about how this room was such a disappointment.

The service at the resort needs a lot of work. Most of the staff, not all, are less than happy to be there. The tip is included in the bill which gives no incentive to go the extra mile. We had arrived starving and seated ourselves in a bar/grill on the resort. After waiting sometime and seeing the staff pass us, I approached someone and asked if we could get a waitress. The manager proceeded to tell me that I was seated in a section that required a hostess to seat us. That was why they would not wait on us? Really????

They resort was very expensive. We overheard a lot of people discussing the pricing. We understood that it was going to be expensive, but not nearly what we were thinking. $8.00 for a bag of hand cut fruit. $9.00 for a hot dog. 70.00 for some burgers and beers. We tried to eat away from the resort if we could. The service was friendly and you didn't feel like you were wasting your money. The Mesa grill at Atlantis I must admit was fantastic. The service was great and food was amazing.

Overall I would not return to this resort. It appeared to be run down and unkept. Trash was present at all locations and the service I can't say enough was terrible. Maybe a smile would have eased the pain in our wallets. Sorry Atlantis, I'll take my Wedding elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a beach view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
0.2 km away
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
8.0 km away
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!