All reviewsbone fishinglodgelodgingaccommodationsislandbahamas
Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

This is a top-notch fishing destination. I went with three friends in April 2016 and fished for four days. Wonderful food, excellent fishing guides, well run. Other activities are available too, such as kayaking and sailing Hobie Cats. Check it out!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bluebird909
Reviewed 22 November 2015

My husband and I recently went to Deep Water Cay for four nights before attending a wedding in Abaco. From the moment, we stepped foot on the island, everything was wonderful, from the kind Bahamians who staffed the resort to the three-course meal we were served on the first night.

We stayed in the Drake House, a lovely two-bedroom, two-bathroom villa with picture perfect views of the lagoon and the Atlantic. Though we didn't cook while there—the staff did all of that for us—we had a nice huge kitchen for storing food and wine in the fridge and reheating leftovers from the night before.

We tried several of the activities on offer: We spent a blissful day diving the blue holes with Phillip and four hours learning to bonefish with Howard. We took the kayaks and paddleboards out for an afternoon. We made use of the Infinity pool and took advantage of the balmy October weather.

All in all, it was the perfect retreat and much needed for both of us after a crazy year and stressful work season. I like to think of it as merely our introduction to Deep Water Cay, as no doubt we will be returning sometime very, very soon.

Room Tip: Ponciana House is great for larger groups. Drake is perfect for a set of two couples traveling together.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank krysleigh
Reviewed 31 July 2015

Known for its fishing but a wonderful spot to relax and recharge the batteries,small enough so you get that personal touch, buzz and rose the mgrs go out of there way to may you feel like you own the place,food is great ,infinity pool fantastic, fishing great ,water sports snorkeling diving Dolphins turtles sharks great place

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 8 April 2015

Beautiful experience. Incredible bone fishing. Great guide, New Hells Bay boats, yummy food, nice lodging and incredible staff. In addition to bone fishing they have a dive master and equipment and offshore fishing beautiful pool and beach.

Room Tip: Drake House
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
6  Thank watergirlfish
Reviewed 19 March 2015

Deep Water Cay is a world class fishing resort located off the eastern end of Grand Bahama island. The resort is expensive, but it’s also beautiful, quiet, and private. And did I mention the fishing is world class?? A group of my colleagues and I enjoyed the island for 3 nights and we did not want to leave.

Logistics: DWC is located about an hour from the Freeport airport. DWC offers a paid shuttle service, and our driver was waiting for us at the airport when we landed. After a rather boring drive to the end of Grand Bahama island, we took a quick 5 minute boat ride to DWC. DWC has a private landing strip on the island, but you must pay for the Bahamian customs officials to come to the island to check passports. Half of our group flew into Freeport and half flew into DWC—if you can afford it, a chartered flight is worth the investment. By flying directly into DWC, you save about 2 hours and if you have enough people the cost difference is negligible.

Accommodations: The accommodations are various houses on the island—some are owned by DWC and some are owned by private families. We reserved 4 houses, ranging in size from 2 to 4 bedrooms. All of the houses were very nice. Some of the houses were located right next to the lodge, and others were a short golf cart ride down the only road on the island. If available, I recommend staying in one of the more remote houses. Each remote house comes with its own private golf cart (the houses next to the lodge do not). All of the houses feature a pristine private beach and exceptional views of the sunset. Ask the staff to stock your fridge with beer before you arrive (or bring your own—it will save you quite a bit).

Fishing: The fishing is world class. The purpose-built boats were relatively new, surprisingly fast and very stable. I had never fly fished saltwater flats, so my guide gave me a tutorial and helped me refine my technique. By the end of the trip, I was casting a considerable amount of line into the wind like a pro. My guide took us to various spots-- mangroves, ocean flats, channels, etc. We even got out of the boat and walked the flats at one point. Almost everyone in my group caught at least one fish, and one boat managed to catch 8 bonefish before lunch! My guide helped me catch my first bonefish that very afternoon. There was no shortage of fish—we saw an impressive number of bonefish, permit, barracuda, sharks and even a large sea turtle.

Food: If there was one area for improvement, it was lunch. Lunch is served on the boat each day. At dinner the night before, the staff provides a form and each person records what they want for lunch (sandwich, chips, cookies, drinks, beers, etc.). We didn’t find the lunch particularly impressive. In contrast, the dinner was very good.

Beverage: Beginning around 4pm drinks are served in a large tiki bar next to the docks. Around 6pm, everyone (including the bar staff) moves to the lodge, where drinks are served poolside so you can witness the gorgeous sunset. After dinner, drinks are served poolside until 10pm. I recommend you bring beer/liquor with you, or ask the staff to stock your fridge with beer, as you will probably want to continue drinking past 10pm. You will definitely save some money if you bring beer or liquor with you.

Service: The service on the island was impeccable, with the exception of the office staff who we found rather abrasive. All of the service staff was Bahamian, and they were all very nice.

Privacy: The island is incredibly private, particularly if you stay in one of the remote houses. When we visited, there were only two other families on the island while we were there.

Conclusion: I would recommend this resort to the avid fisherman who doesn’t mind spending some money for a private experience. And did I mention the fishing is world class??

Room Tip: The remote houses are more private and come with a private golf cart.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business