“Nice quiet resort with a friendly staff”

Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I rented a two bedroom condo (not the townhouse) for a week stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurant was good. They had a celebration night where there was a buffet style meal with a free drink (two choices). The location was a quick 10 to 15 minute drive from the airport or to the beach. The accommodations were good. We had an issue with the microwave and someone was sent quickly to replace the bad one. We wanted to roast a chicken and discovered there was no pan for roasting. The staff also quickly sent up a new roasting pan for us.

The timeshare presentation people got their time in and tried to convince my sister to buy in but she did not.

The WiFi was free and very good for the Caribbean.
Although we did not used them, there was a washer/dryer room on every floor.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank youngjw

Reviewed 13 October 2017

DO NOT BUY A MEMBERSHIP AT THIS RESORT!
I just got back from Freeport Bahamas with my wife and two kids. On the day of arrival , we were so tired to where I just wanted to check-in and go to room to shower and relax, instead they have Vultures standing where the you do the checking begging you to go the little to see what they have available. being said that I have been through similar situations. That day I was really tired and being overwhelmed with so many people trying on getting you to go buy the time shares. I was a little upset , but my wife decided to give it a shot and when we went they presented us with something that was a little to good to be true , they seems genuine BUT THEN AGAIN THE LOOK AND ALL THE SMILES WAS PART OF THEIR LITTLE SCAMMS......I am part blame to fall for it and it hurts me to see that they would do this to us. I spent over 5000 in that resorts for my 7 days stays and 2200 of that was to sign something that wasn't what I was told. I didn't know about all the fraud until I got home from vacation. When I arrived home I sat down to read the contract to see that what was offered was totally bogus. I was so unease to where at time I didn't want to go outside because of them selling and asking for the time shares.. As a former member of another resort I knew that they were going to do what ever necessary to get me into their contract which I did. I was told that they were going to transfer my other account to theirs and I said no. I sent them an email telling them to cancel my application and they Denied it ........I am not sure what that means but , I will no longer deal with them......The place was nice and some of the people were great ..the restaurant was also great but the vultures was the only problem I had which cost me 2200 bucks ...LESSON LEARNED........I WILL NEVER GO TO THAT RESORTS AND YES I DID SAY THEY CAN KEEP THE MONEY AS A DONATION FROM MY WIFE...... This resort is nothing more that a money grab. They appear to fish for tourists to keep their heads above water, while not caring about the current membership that they currently have. Their biggest priority is to try to get new members which equal new money for them. Don't fall into this BS. Room Tip: Stay away you will not regret this advice. One last thing.....I am already a member at another resorts but I am not sure what had happened to where I allowed them to take from me ...again my lost and lesson learned.......

Room Tip: They do have a cheaper car rental at location instead of the airport.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank True Man G
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The room was nice, but getting anywhere on the Island was a money grab. At the Concierge desk, they try to sell you the shuttle, for 40 dollars. however this shuttle only goes to certain areas at certain times, it is dirty and missing interior doors, you are not able to open the door yourself, as there is a string that has to be pulled to open. The drive to the beach, (which is the sister resort, and about a mile away) is from 12-4. the beach is dirty, and there is nothing there, except a terrible restaurant, you have to rent chairs and umbrellas (40 dollars for two people). The trip to Port Lucaya Market Place is at 1pm and there is a nicer beach there, however the shuttle comes back at 3pm, so 2 hours to go to the beach and shop is not much time. The person who drives the shuttle comes to work at 9 am, yet does not go anywhere until 12. unless you pay more money. The trip to the grocery store is only on Saturday and Sunday, any other day you have to pay. Cabs on the Island charge 10 dollars plus 3 dollars for each additional person. this does not sound so bad, except its a mile to get anywhere. I would never go back to Freeport Grand Bahamas, the place is like a ghost town, and the locals are trying to get as much money as possible. If you do plan to go to Freeport, take the local bus, costs $1.25 and will take you to all the same places for this cost. however don't look for a schedule, or for anyone at the resort to help you, because they don't want you to know about the local bus, it is just a mini van, however is cleaner, and intact. I really don't have anything good to say about this place, except the weather was great.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Armed Forces Vacation Club
2  Thank C980SOlauram
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I don't think I have been to a worse expensive resort in my life! As you get checked they tell you that you have to pay a weekly utility charge which cost us an extra $200. Then when we get to the apartment the kettle is broken, everything is dated, TV doesn't work, air conditioning? hmm - doesn't reach the bedrooms and really noisy
If you want to get screwed in your face, this is the place to come
Don't forget they will try and sell you timeshare under the guise of showing you how wonderful the facilities are.....
Oh yeah - the reception closes at 5:00pm which didn't help when we had a 4 hour power cut which left us in pitch black..
and there's more - they were refurbishing constantly so noise level of drills etc were high

Room Tip: ask for the new block rooms
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Vinaya S
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I actually visited June 2016. Beautiful location and friendly and helpful staff. Two saltwater pools (one with a swim up bar) and town home style accommodations are available. I'm sure the inclusive resorts in Freeport are nice, but this place felt so welcoming and I feel like we got to see so much more of the island and learn about its history. There are also extremely friendly and adorable cats that roam the property!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends