“Could be a great place, but....”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We spent a week at this resort in late September and it was ok, but it could be so much better. A year after Hurricane Matthew, the staff continues to use it as an excuse as to why the hotel is dirty, and not cared for. In reality, we did not see any damage, only poor management that obviously does not set clear expectations or demand any type of quality from workers or for their resort. Below are some details - good and bad.

Good - overall the resort looks nice, it sits on the beach, and has a nice pool. The on site restaurant is convenient, and it even has an on site convenience store which we used a few times.

Bad - the room was dirty. The floors seemed to never be cleaned, there was a dead moth on one of the window sills that remained all week and the maid service was inconsistent at best. Some days they took our towels and replaced some of them, other days they took our towels and left no replacements. Since we stayed on the third floor it was funny to see the maids walk up the stairs with no cleaning supplies, which makes it obvious why the rooms were dirty - they were never cleaned. The beach had one cabana - that was damaged months ago - and on our last day at the resort they started to tear down part of the roof, but never got back to fixing it. Several of the light bulbs in our room were burned out, and the microwave didn't work properly. We are also surprised to have to "check out" a blender from the front desk if we wanted one to use. It was obvious no routine or preventative maintenance is done at this resort. Wifi works in the lobby only, and not in guest rooms, and the restaurant couldn't run a credit card transaction, they had to walk to the front desk for this.

I think if management was implemented that truly cared about the cleanliness of the property it could be nice once again, but from our experience I just don't see things changing. Several of the time share owners that were at the resort while we were there stated the resort has gone downhill over the last several years, and they even presented a list of concerns to the manager, some of which were addressed several days later. In summary, if you can get it cheap enough, don't spend a lot of time on your room or at the resort, and don't mind overlooking some things you can make this place work. If you are looking for something really nice - keep looking.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brad L

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

When we arrived at the Island Seas we waited in 3 different lines trying to check in. Staff kept redirecting us to different lines for "time share" check in. We had a time share which had been booked for months and asked for a room on the first floor. Instead we had to climb several flights of stairs to a 3rd floor room. The tile floors in the suite were filthy and so were the bathrooms. The walls were dirty and all of the doors were smeared with dirt etc. Staff were unorganized and most of them were NOT friendly. The lock on the door to the outside of our suite malfunctioned and even though I reported it to staff at least an hour and a half earlier, my husband had to wait another hour or more for maintenance to get him in after returning with groceries. The entire lock system on the door had to be replaced in order to get back into the room. The pool area was nice even though tiles were missing. But if you want to get a drink be ready to pay 8 dollars and good luck getting waited on....even at the swim up bar. The beach was small. There were cabanas with thatched roofs that were falling apart. Lifeguards literally had to warn people the lumber from the roofs was falling down and unsafe. To sum it up, this resort needs organized maintenance. Management at the resort is just not competent. Could be a beautiful, top notch Resort experience if the property was managed properly. We will never go back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank christie b
Reviewed 4 September 2017

If you take out of the picture of the natural beauty of the Bahamas Sea, everything else left out, related to this resort was terrible. We arrived to stayed one night, thanks God!!!, with the ferry from Fort Lauderdale, the check in, if the rooms are ready, is at 4:00 pm and the check out at 10:00 am, our room was facing the Marina, the window air conditioning was making different and loud noises all night, missing doors on the closet, towels were gray instead of white.
The public bathroom by the pool was nasty and the food offered have a very poor quality.At 8:30 pm the restaurant was closing and we got in as a favor, and the selection from the menu was reduced considerably. One of the ladies from the front desk was pretty much harassing us since we get there and even calling our room asking us to participated in a time share meeting. The list could go on and on. In other words never choose this place.

Room Tip: I don't think they have one,only the ocean and marina views are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank relaxHallandaleBeach
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

My visit was from August 18th – August 25th and I had a blast. The view from my room was fantastic ‘BUT’ there are pros and cons. This is long but a new visitor should read.
I read all the reviews before taking my trip so I took heed on the advice given. Since check in isn’t until 4pm, I scheduled my flight to arrive at 5 pm so my check in went smoothly. When I got to my room, it was a bit dated. The furniture was old and no décor to the condo, just plain Jane. The kitchen was upgraded with nice counter tops, a new stove, and microwave. Nice size flat screen TV in the livingroom and bedroom. The room was clean for the most part but a lot of the wall area was dirty. A simple spay cleaner and rag would have resolved easily. I had no issues with towels at all. The staff kept me supplied daily.
True, the resort doesn’t have a lot to do and they shut down waaay too early. We are on vacation for goodness sake. Turn up, turn up, not wind down! I was at the bar area enjoying a nice karaoke act and right when I was about to shake a tail feather, the DJ was like welp, that’s a wrap. At 10 pm! Really!! BUT I’m adventurous, I ask questions and make my own fun so I find out there’s a bar right outside the resort gate -just steps away that stays open until 2 AM. Good ole drinks and music and the food is tha bomb.
True, the resort has good food but a limited selection BUT you have to mingle with the locals and learn people. A walk down the beach in either direction will lead you to other eating spots. Walk Rt, there’s a lady name Michelle that has a spot set up with excellent local food. Her jerk chicken is awesome. Walk a little further up past her place and up the side walk, there is a $2 bar. Cheap drinks and yes mam / sir, the food is delish. Walk Lt of the beach, you will run into the bar that stays open til 2 am and there’s also a chef named Burnie that has a spot set up near by. His food is great and he has a bon fire on Tuesday nights with music, good food, and drinks. One of my highlights.
Wednesday is the big fish fry at Smith Point – MUST GO!! OMG the food is so good. After I was done eating, I danced my tale off! It was soooo fun and I saw a lot of visitors and staff from the resort there.
I didn’t want to limit myself to only the resort. I wanted to see the island and experience the local life so I paid a driver to take me around the island. I met fisherman and bought fresh lobster and fish rt off the boat that I cooked in the condo. I also ran into a fella that was extracting conch -a local fav- from the shell. His wife had a stand set up and made me fresh conch salad on the spot. I had fresh conch fritters also.
I can’t complain at all. I loved the staff and locals. I made local friends and can wait to go back. The resort offers a beautiful private beach and some activities but If you rely only on the resort, you will not have the experience that I did. You have to get out and about and make your vacation great so plan it out.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
20  Thank lametrias
Reviewed 1 September 2017

First of all, we stayed here as part of a package deal with a stay in Fort Lauderdale, and a 2-night cruise on the Grand Celebration. We did not get the "all inclusive" package because it was approx $400 more than the standard rate for only 2 days. The only part of all inclusive we could see was the food for 3 meals a day. Here's is where problems begin. The only food outside the hotel is at the Lucayan Marketplace. It is too far to walk on a hot day, or really, any day, and cab fare is $12 each way. There is no longer a hotel shuttle which ceased on Aug 1, 2017. Also, there isn't anything else to do on the property. There is a pool, and the beach, but no activities included, like snorkling, jet sking, quadding, etc. There was a "tour center" across the street, and car rentals too, but limited. Prices were "ok", but not much better than from the cruise line. Ok, now, several weird items. First, we got to the resort at about 11am, but were told we could not get into a room until 4pm! That's crazy. So we sat around with nothing to do. Also, we were told there was a $15 a day per person surcharge....government taxes we were told, along with a 7.5% VAT tax. Food bills at the hotel also had the VAT added in, and a mandatory gratuity. So, with the taxes, cab fares, and add on tours, our reasonable vacation turned into a lot more than we had anticipated. The staff, however, was friendly enough, but they couldn't make up for the problems. A larger all inclusive resort close by the marketplace, the Grand Lucayan, was closed since hurricane Matthew last year. A casino has also closed, and some of the workers had relocated to one of the other islands where a new resort and casino had opened. The economy on the island is not the best right now. The main problem with Grand Bahama Island is that there isn't that much to do and see unless you are on a tour, and those are not cheap. Car rentals seemed to be priced "ok" for a resort area, but we know many of the roads are not well marked, and they drive on the left side. So, it's worth it for a short visit, but be prepared to pay more than some advertised "flat rate" for a package deal. The resort was thinly occupied this week, and initially, they wanted to put us in a room across the road from the office, pool, and beach. We complained about this, and we were relocated to a room by the beach.....much better. This was our first visit to this island.

Room Tip: Don't take a room across the road.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple