“Probably an off night”

Price range: US$14 - US$50
Cuisines: European, French, Bahamian
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a new concept restaurant on Great Exuma!! Not only are we on one of the most beautiful beaches in Exuma, but we are both from hospitality backgrounds. Ben, the chef hails from Ireland, where he trained under the Michelin Starred chef Derry Clarke during his apprenticeship, before heading to Washington DC and working in various restaurants. After that he went to Tokyo for a year working in the Michelin starred Gordon Ramsay restaurant. After his Asian affair he joined mega yachts where he served the wealthy throughout the entire Caribbean and Mediterranean for several years before falling in love with Exuma. Clare the Manager, from London has spent 8 years serving the uber rich and famous aboard some of the worlds most glamorous and largest yachts in the world. Open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily, with themed nights. Monday is Mexican night, Friday is Indian and Sunday sip Goombay Smashes listening to live Rake 'n Scrape music while feasting on the Islands famous Grillmasters pit, pulled Pork, Chicken and all the fixings...We play cool old tunes, with a casual, ocean front ambiance, serving fine cuisine from around the world, served well with a smile. Call for reservations.
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I was so looking forward to dining here! I had read previous reviews and told my husband we had to eat here! when we arrived I could just tell that something was off. The woman that greeted us seemed to be overwhelmed. She and another woman working also seemed to be having miscommunication about where to sit guests. After we got our drinks we sat there for a long while.We were not given menus and no one explained that it was Mexican night which consisted of a fixed menu. So we continued to just sit there. Finally my husband went to the bar and asked and the overwhelmed bartender(?) explained that it was Mexican night. Eventually an appetizer of pita chips, salsa and guacamole was brought to us. But again there was no explanation. A woman just came and set it on the table and walked away. People began streaming in and things just got worse and more chaotic. I started to get anxiety because there was no clear direction by staff to customers. Our main meal came out in sections and again the woman delivering the food said nothing to us. She just set the food down without any explanation about the meal. Being from New Mexico I could obviously tell we were served fajitas, but it still would have been nice to have some kind of interaction by the staff. something along the lines of "here we have chicken and steak fajitas with fresh cilantro and tortillas" but we got nothing. my husband said " maybe they don't want us here". he thought this was possible because we were dressed casually and are younger couple. I pointed out that the staff was probably just overwhelmed and maybe new. on the up side, the food was pretty tasty. the fajitas tasted great and I loved the Tex-Mex style chili served with it. We didn't stay long though. More people were pouring in and we were being completely ignored. My husband asked several times for the check. then we saw we weren't charged for a bottle of wine so we had to wait longer to pay for that. we boxed our food and left as soon as possible. Again I think it was just an off night for the staff. The food was a little pricey but it was tasty. I would try the place again for sure though.

Ben D, Owner at Blu at Exuma Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Hey Guys! I'm so sorry, it was a lot busier than we expected, and were down two staff, I, the owner and chef normally bring the food out and describe each dish, unfortunately my sous chef had to go away for the christmas new year period, and I was stuck in there. I'm so very sorry but glad that you enjoyed it, and being from that neck of the woods, know your Mexican! I would love to see you back.
Thanks so much
Ben

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Friday Night Indian! Monday Night Mexican! AMAZING!!!! Great service and beautiful view. Chad is a great bartender. Ben is an amazing chef that is versatile in any cuisine. Make a reservation, busy with locals as well as hotel guests and other tourists!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

What a find on the Island of Exuma! Chef Ben Is an amazing, very experienced, and innovative chef. We had two great dinners while staying at his hotel. We experienced his Indian cooking one night and the next had local snapper and counk. Ben serves whatever ingredients are the freshest, so the menu will change from night to night. He has his brother back in the UK sends him the best spices for his curry's and the fish is right off the boat fresh. Make a point of eating at Blu!

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We had early reservations for dinner so they knew we were coming. After watching the server and bar tender shuffle around awkwardly for 15 minutes and not bring the menus we had asked for, we went to talk to them and learned that the chef had disappeared and had not printed menus. They could not reach him as he had left his cell phone so they had no idea when he would return and also no idea what was available for dinner. We decided not to wait around until he returned which was a disappointment as we had been looking forward to our dinner there.

Ben D, Owner at Blu at Exuma Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

First off, I, as the chef and operator, owner and manager, apologize profusely for your negative experience while at our establishment. I wont make excuses, it was unacceptable! It breaks my heart to have any guest disappointed, especially not even having the opportunity to taste my food, or have our service, which we pride ourselves upon. As the weather had been rough at sea for several days before, the fishermen were only coming back with fish that day, I had gone out to await the boats return, and it had taken much longer than anticipated. I pulled back in as I saw your vehicle leave. It is not in my nature ever to return so late, be without a phone, nor risk our reputation in any way. If you ever return, I would be honored if you would give us another chance, and allow me to make up for our previous shortcomings, impress you as our guest, on the house! Again, sincere apologies. Ben

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Each meal we had was the best thing we had EVER eaten. Ben does not do "typical island food", instead he cooks what you can't find elsewhere on the island. We stayed here over Thanksgiving of 2013, and Ben made Thanksgiving Dinner. Each course was delicious. His style of serving, plating and overall taste make this restaurant the place to go in Exuma. Be sure to stop in at least once, you will not be disappointed!