Bluehill Farm(Auchencairn)
All reviewssolway firthlambbay viewsuperb fooddinner menusingle track roadan excellent hotelpublic roomscastle douglaspeace and quietother guestshigh standardwine listthree nightsground floorfirst classthe cliff
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Beautiful location. Very comfortable room with lovely views over Balcary Bay. Good food, with a very varied menu. The staff were very efficient and attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Everyone seemed to be genuinely interested in making our stay as pleasant as possible. We would, and have already, recommended this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2016

We had been recommend this place by friends, and we were not dissapointed. Nice lunch menu in a conservatory overlooking the bay, with prices from £7.00. The hotel is a classic hotel, and has a nice relaxing atmosphere, with seating area overlooking the bay, which is a lovely place to sit with a drink and read a book or newspaper. We asked for coffee's and mentioned to the waitress we wanted to drink them outside, at which point she told us she would bring them out to us, which was a nice touch. There are outdoor seating areas with tables at the front of the hotel, in a garden location. However we choose to sit at the back of the hotel which has benches with small tables, and has a stunning view of the sea and beyond as far as you can see. We relaxed with our coffee and listened to the birds sing in the sunshine, whilst taking in the georgeous view. Next time we visit we will book in to stay, as this lunch visit really impressed us, both with staff, food and scenery.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 7 September 2016

The Hotel is beautiful with the best views. After a full day exploring the area we decided to eat on the way back to our B&B we saw the sign for The Barclay Bay Hotel with Non Residents Welcome. All I can say is that I have never come across a ruder waiter EVER.
We found out later that the old colonial style waiter was one of the owners.
firstly he looked us up and down with I thought the intent of trying to make is feel uncomfortable. ( we called at the hotel after a long day exploring the area with the intent of having a bar meal)
When he brought the menu's he handed me mine and then quite deliberately dropped my husbands on the table. When eventually our table was ready - the waiter came over to tell us and then walked off, did not offer to take our drinks and did not show us to our table so we had to attract the attention of another staff member to seat us.

The Food .... we chose a 2 course dinner at the price of approx £35 each.
I chose the seafood risotto followed by a beef dish. My husband chose the smoked rabbit again followed by the beef.

The seafood risotto has one shrimp in and copious amounts of over cooked squid.
The rabbit was delicious as was the beef.

The rest of the dinner was ok but nothing special despite the surroundings - the whole evening was totally spoilt by the surly waiter. Maybe he should take a back seat and employ a professional who is not going to offend the customers.

Needless to say - I won't be returning

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
15  Thank dcp19
Reviewed 3 September 2016

First time at this hotel and wont be the last. We knew of the hotel as we stayed in a cottage nearby many years ago. So thought we would give the hotel a try so glad we did. The location is stunning, right on the beach lovely walks or just sit and look at the view. The hotel very pleasant décor throughout and plenty of areas to enjoy the view. The food excellent, staff excellent what more can I say.

Room Tip: View of the bay well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2016

We stayed here again and were not disappointed. The setting is beautiful and the food is the best we have ever had and we have eaten out many, many times. Our room (No. 16) was fine for me but my husband found the headroom in the shower a bit lacking as it is over the bath which is tucked under a sloping roof. We are already planning opur next visit.

Stayed: August 2016