“A trip to remember”

Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Long Island
Reviewed 20 January 2013

When my husband and I decided to get married at a resort on the beach, it seemed like an impossible feat, seeing as we didn't even have our passports yet.

We had such difficulty finding a country that didn't have 74 hoops to jump through before we could be legally married. Our search landed us on the Trip Advisor reviews for Cape Santa Maria. We looked over the website and the photos that other couples had posted.

After much deliberation, we decided to call the resort. We spoke with Breanda at length and she calmed our fears. We decided to book the hotel for our wedding and honeymoon.

We started communication with Ewa and Breanda to go over what our expectations were. I had a lot of fears doing the wedding this way since this was the first time we had traveled out of the country; nonetheless for such a big occasion. Ewa was fantastic at answering all of our questions and concerns for the 10 months leading up to the wedding day.

Two weeks before the wedding, Hurricane Sandy blew through the Bahamas. My husband and I were incredibly nervous that our paradise was going to have to wait. Ewa responded back quite quickly afterwards to let us know they were safe and sound. However, the flowers on the island had been destroyed. My mother and I ended up making bouquets to take with us instead.

When we finally got to the island and were getting out of the cab at the resort, we just stopped and looked at the view. The resort is right on the beach (unlike Stella Maris) and the views are breathtaking (at least for this Arizona girl)

We walked in and Breanda greeted us both with a hug. We felt welcome from the first moments we arrived. We were walked to our bungalow and shown where everything could be found. As soon as Breanda started her walk back to the main house, we changed and jumped right in the crystal clear water! The bungalow was right on the white, flour-y sand. We slept every night with the door open to hear the waves crashing on the beach.

When our big day arrived, torrential rain started at about 9am. At 1pm, with the rain not slowing down, I walked into the main house to try to work out arrangements for a backup plan. Ewa and Brooke both assured me that it never rains during a wedding. However, if need be, they had a backup plan in place.

3:45 rolled around and you guessed it; it had stopped raining. My maid of honor and I walked out, I married the man of my dreams, we cut the cake, had our first dance and several pictures with the photographer. Then it started raining again. It was almost as if it was meant to be.

The next morning, we woke up to the most incredible sight we've ever seen; crystal clear turquoise water and a double rainbow.

We made use of the kayaks several times, enjoying the scenery around the area. We also had Delbert take us out snorkeling a few times. The water was very choppy and kind of cold (Delbert mentioned that it was about 9 degrees cooler than it was prior to the hurricane blowing through) but the kind man let me use his wet suit shirt to try to stay warm.

Happy Hour is the way to go. Kelly makes amazing drinks (the Goombay smash was our favorite, then the Hurricane) and with free conch fritters to boot, its a great way to wind down before dinner. We enjoyed happy hour every night we were there.

The food at the restaurant was great. I enjoyed the pasta with sun dried tomatoes and olives a few times. My husband preferred the steak. We had the absolutely best mushroom soup we've ever had before there one night as well. The rum cakes are amazingly tasty also. We chose the meal plan (all three meals) ... the blackened chicken for lunch was very good, but I'd stay away from the pizza. It was rather doughy and not very tasty.

We did take the bikes out to Columbus Point one day. I'd suggest making sure you have water, sunscreen and a bike with decent tires on it before you go. Its a bit of a trek, (at least in a bikini in flip flops) but the view was worth it.

Of note: the sand flea bites get bothersome. I've heard that if you take baby oil and use that with your lotion, it makes it harder for them to latch on to bite you. Also, someone mentioned that the Avon Skin So Soft works the same way. We did find that alcohol on the island is quite expensive. We purchased two cases of beer, Corona and Kalik. The total was $110. We kept this in our refrigerator in the room for ourselves and our wedding guests during their stay.

Overall, the weather could have cooperated more (rained every day, sometimes most of the day) for the week we were there, but that is nothing that the resort could control. We had the wedding of our dreams and we have Cape Santa Maria to thank for it. Thank you Brooke, Ewa and Breanda for helping us plan our special day... and thank you to Kelly and all of the wonderful waitresses that helped us enjoy it.

Room Tip: Bungalows are the way to go- no frills, no tv's, right on the water and perfect for that wonderf...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 699MelissaB699
BrookCSM, Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Melissa B,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

We were certainly honored to share your wedding day with you! You are right, the Bahamas is an easy destination to get married in as very little paperwork is required. The process is pretty straight forward. It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day and I am glad you found the planning to be an easy process.

I hope you have remade the caper sauce for David! I also wanted to tell you that we now make our pizza dough in-house and it is better than ever.

Wishing you and David all the best in this next chapter of your lives.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Best regards,
Ewa Castelsky
Resort Manager

Reviewed 16 January 2013

We loved our stay at Cape Santa Maria! The beach is beautiful and the there are no crowds! We had the beach to ourselves and found that it was the perfect place to unwind and enjoy a Kalik! My kids ages 7 and 9 loved using the kayaks to explore the calm ocean waters. The day that we arrived, we found several dozen starfish along the shallow waters near the beach. We split our vacation (staying 4 days at Atlantis water park) and my kids definitely loved Cape Santa Maria in Long Island more!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BrowderFamily
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Although my take on the meals is less than enthusiastic, this is not a reason to not come here. I agree with the vast bulk of glowing reviews; beach, cottages, service, and so on. It's not that the food is bad, its just not up to the quality of the rest of the experience of being here. Menu is very light on salads and fresh fruit. At the end of a week stay, lack of variety starts to weigh heavily. Dining room service was erratic and on an occasion or two, surly. This wouldn't keep me from coming back. I just wish management would pay more attention here, making a stay at Cape Santa Maria absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for cottage away from main building - less foot traffic in front of your veranda.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kwieder
BrookCSM, General Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear kwieder,

Thank you very much for the great review and we appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were left with anything less than a stellar impression of the service in our dining room. We are always working to improve the service levels throughout the entire resort. Each year we hire a trainer from our Canadian operations to assist in training our staff. In fact, this year we are focusing on the service in our dining room. I sincerely hope you choose Cape Santa Maria for your next beach vacation, and I am confident you will be as impressed as many others continue to be.

I am a little surprised to hear your comments regarding the selection of salads because we receive a great deal of positive feedback in this regard. People tell us they enjoy the Pear and Blue Cheese Salad, the Long Island Lobster Salad or the Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Salad. In addition, the Crescent Beach Salad or Lobster Terriene are very popular. Of course, there is always the Classic Caesar or traditional Bahamian Conch Salad.

We hope to see you at Cape Santa Maria for your next beach vacation.

Brook Castelsky

Reviewed 13 January 2013

On the way to Haiti Stella Maris makes a great aviation fuel stop. Decided to spend the night on the way back the island looked so beautiful on the way down. So glad I did will make Cape Santa Maria it's own destination in the future. The cottage was wonderful, the beach picture perfect...coming from someone who grew up in Hawaii-Oahu. Really enjoyed the restaurant, and more importantly the staff and couple that manage the resort were present and personally involved in making sure you had everything to make you comfortable. It's one of those places that's hard to believe exists.

Room Tip: Beach front cottage
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PappyBoynton
BrookCSM, General Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Dear PappyBoynton,

Greetings from Paradise! Thank you for the kind review. We are glad you had a chance to stop at Cape Santa Maria on your way to Haiti. Cape Santa Maria is a fun destination for pilots. In fact, over 35% of our guests fly their own plane to Stella Maris Air port, only minutes from Cape Santa Maria. As you say, Stella Maris has AV gas and it is a Port of Entry. We look forward to seeing you once again. Perhaps you should join one of our fly-in groups in early November!

Brook Castelsky,

Reviewed 7 January 2013

If you want to completely unwind, no question, go directly to Cape Santa Maria. The beach can not be beat, the new villas are spectacular and best of all, there are no crowds. It is a great place for families, or couples, or for that matter, even on your own. We have been going to the Cape for 10 years now, and each time we go, we always say, we have to come back sooner next time!!

Room Tip: They are all directly on the beach, but the new villas are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lllllll99

Dear IIIIIII99,

Greetings from Paradise! Thank you for the great review. We agree, the villas are worth it. They are well laid out, private and execellent for a couple or family. I personaly love the view from the villas on the second floor, however many guests prefer to be on the lower level where they can walk straight to the beach. We look forward to seeing you for an eleventh year, and yes, come back sooner!

All the best,

60.2 km away
Greenwich Creek Lodge
Greenwich Creek Lodge
#1 of 5 in Long Island

Been to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!