“the whole family loves it!!”

Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed 6 June 2011

i booked and paid the full payment of 3 family suites during school holiday's season without reading or checking on any review of Bala's holiday chalet 1st. On the way up to cameron highland, i quickly read the online review and it made me worried and regret that i already paid the whole payment.But it was totally different from what i read when i trully and personally stayed there. The family suite was amazing , big, beautiful, spacious, and the toilet is big and nice and the they gave us so many clean towels also..The view was amazing and beautiful. The evening tea in the garden was nice. Not to mention, the breakfast was delicious especially with the most popular english scone with cream and jam. I personally think that the price for the family suite was ok but it is quite expensive during peak season..but it was worth it.So i recommend for any travellers that would like to try it there to take the family suite rather than the normal room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank dillaarman

Reviewed 29 May 2011

My sis and I decided to pick this place as it looked cozy in the pictures, and some comments were okay about this place.
However, the niceness ended at the outlook of the place, which looked nice. The rate RM 250 paid for a double bed room is pricey. The room is tiny, which is alright if it's clean, quint and cozy. But it's old, not maintained well, the cupboard doors stuck, and the worst is the room smell musty, damp and horrible. It was unfortunate that we checked into the room the moment cleaning was done, left our bags and went roaming in Cameron. We didn't get the full effect of the musty disgusting damp smell at the point we put our bag in the room or we would have moved out and searched elsewhere for accomodation. When we returned to our room at 10pm, that's when the smell was so horrid that I sneezed thru the night and couldn't sleep well. My sis didn't have a comfy sleep as well. The noise of traffic down the road could be heard clearly in the room. Fortunately the traffic noise stopped by 1.30am.

We checked out by 9am the next morning as I couldn't stand the room smell and it makes me sneeze. I complained to Dass the reception person, who said he'll tell the boss. Which we wondered if Bala will bother with the complaint, judging from the many reviews posted here of his arragont "can't care less" attitude.

It's a shame to run a "nice looking place" but totally disappoint and upset the customers who pay to enjoy their stay and visit to Cameron. Bala need to seriously look at how to improve his accomodation and customer service.

Room Tip: Go around and check out more of the accomodations.
  • Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank SheilaMV
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We were booked into this motel (to give it the description of 'hotel' or 'chalet' was too kind) by a friend of ours. So, we had no choice. Usually, I'm not a difficult traveler so long as I have a clean bed and working hot shower and a sense of security but this stay was by far the WORST experience I'd ever had my entire life (and I had stayed in cheaper accommodations!). We were allocated room S11 Oak (I will post pics of this to show authenticity). The shower was NON-EXISTANT. The shower-head was those typical handheld ones with a pipe connecting it to the wall with a lot of holes to allow water through for showers. However, out of about 30+ holes on it, only 3 were working and water was barely trickling out of those 3 holes. And I have to add, it was ICECOLD drops of water. When I was stranded there in the showers at 11.30pm at night (we left our luggages in the room, went out for dinner plus the jam there was horrible due to the public holiday and returned to our room late), it was suffice to say that I didn't manage to wash the soap/shampoo off, was left half freezing and thank God we had another couple staying 3 doors away (their shower was fine but their tv was the tiniest ancient CRT one I've ever seen before) and I had to pay them a visit at 12 midnight after waiting for things to improve for 30 mins in that showerroom. During those miserable 30 mins, I had plenty of time to look around the shower room and noticed that the railings were SHINY (ie rust-free meaning that the pipes there never really worked there since they built that room). The other couples' shower room's railings were rusted. PLUS their reception is open till 6-7pm(I think) and we couldn't even go into the lobby as they've locked it up at that point of time to complain or get someone to take a look at the pipes. Thinking about it now, even if that had happened, the shower would have been the same. The other couple had problems with the hairdryer loaned from the reception the next morning as it smoked while the lady used it. When she returned it, the receptionist just said 'The previous user didn't complain about it' and used the same lame excuse when I reported my problem the next morning (thank God we were checking out the next day) ie ' The previous guest in the room didn't complain about it'. I would assume the reason why they didn't complain about it was the reception wasn't open when people took their showers AND the previous guests probably checked out the next day after staying like we did. I refused to pay full costs of the room and even spoke to the owner, BALA over the phone who didn't even felt a slight remorse. His excuse was 'All the rooms were fully booked'. I'd say: if you have a non-functioning room, either fix it or close it, not rent it out to people. Big ripoff! He didn't even sound bothered with my feedback. Bad management and bad attitude, if you ask me. A courteous apology would have made us felt a little happier.

Room Tip: Never stay here if you can help it.
Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NGC82
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Loved our stay at Bala's - the location is amazing - gorgeous veiws like no other in the area. The building is an old colonial school house full of authentic history. If you are after a unique place to stay, instead of a noisy, town based hotel - then this is your perfect choice. To respond to the other traveller's comment - Cameron Highlands is a rainy area so there is damp - I'm sure its across the town as most buildings seem to have been affected... I wouldn't let this change your choice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed there one nite (we just walk in) on 26 February 2011 and checked out the next day..had a lovely time over there..nearly missing the place due to all the negative comments written here.We met Mr Bala ourselves..
We rent the deluxe room, a room with an attic and superior room with a connecting room. We checked the rooms ourselves before renting it..
All rooms are ground level facing a small garden....hot water working properly..all rooms are clean..no smell...no bugs..sheets are clean... ..toilets are new..
Ate a lot of scones..infact their scones were the best we had so far in cameron highland..believe me becoz we had a few in other places as well.
Definately we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1.1 km away
Cameron Highlands Resort
Cameron Highlands Resort
#1 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!