All reviewsbala's chaletafternoon teaenglish teaamerican breakfastenglish cottagebeautiful gardenreading roomindian foodtanah rata townstrawberry farmnathanfireplaceflowersenvironmentlodgingdevelopmentretreat
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Bala's Chalet is a beautiful old colonial property established in 1934 a British school. the property is preserved and maintained well with the interiors and decor matching the style and elegance of the British times. We stayed at the Family suite for 2 days.

Rooms & Service - Rooms are spacious , nicely done up and go with the ambiance and beautiful weather. Our Room had dampness and hence corrective action there is required. Service was with a smile , no complains there. Staff went out of the way to help us on different fronts regarding bus , cabs etc. Though Staff could use a little grooming , especially at the reception . It just adds to the appeal of the place , good first impressions always help. Internet speed is decent enough for basic use.

Location & Food - The place is at a hill top and gives beautiful views and serene gardens. It is centrally located with Tanah Rata within 10 mins cab ride. You can call cabs from the reception. The restrn is active and chefs are willing to cook any special meals as per your preference. We just had breakfasts here - food is decent , and relative to prices in Cameron a little pricey.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend Bala's Chalet . We met the owner as well who is keenly looking into the comfort and quality of stay of their guests. He seemed approachable and one can have a good conversation about the place and its history !

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Piyadarshini, Sales and Marketing Executive at Planters Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Dear Prateek B,

Thank you very much your positive comments and feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again. Have a good day.

Best regards.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Planters for two days, exploring the surrounding highlands. The hotel is situated just 1 mile (1,5km) from town. It is nice and quiet. It's an easy walk to the town, but there is also a complementary transfer to town.

The room was spacious and authentic in relation to the building. The bathrooms on the other hand were modern, which was odd and not coherent with the style of the building.

Everything was very clean and well organized. We were situated in rooms JT2 and JT3. Wifi was good, plenty of charging-outlets.

Really enjoyed our stay here. The weather was a bit gloomy, so we could not enjoy the gardens.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mvwijland

Dear mvwijland,

Thank you very much for your positive comments and feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again when the weather is fine so that you can enjoy the outdoors. Have a nice day.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

The place is very nice. English house with nice garden...now when it comes to the tea it was disappointing to find not well prepared tea in a touristic city based on tea plantations. I live in a country never colonized by the British and the tea service is way better. Perhaps I just had bad luck with my complete tea... too pricy for what you get. I don't want to lie but I guess that they even had the secons or the cakes frozen and they worm it when they have customers ( just guessing I have no proofs).

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Shyamala S, Public Relations Manager at Planters Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2017

Thank you for your comments, we value your feedback. We are extremely suprised you had been served a below standard tea & scones set. All our scones are baked freshly daily. If you come back this way again we shall be most happy to serve you once again complimentary. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

The hotel itself is beautiful and located hill top but a lot of things need to improve in order to match the value for price, there is no value for price paid such :-
1. Towels have only 2 pcs instead no face towel and towel to wipe hand after use tiolet.
2. Water pressure very very slow
3. Customers service poor
4. No fire extinguishers around room walkway or signs to indicate
5. No intercom or telephone in room
6. No tooth brush and paste
7. Old tube type TV
8. Only 1 power point to charging
9. WiFi router have but no electric supply and signal

The building is awesome but lack of facilities to match value for price, unless the management improve all above the hotel is wonderful place to stay. I'm very sad to choose this hotel and my family too.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It was a pleasure having you all stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

This is my 2nd time bringing my 6 frens from overseas to this hotel n had a ginger tea n coffee at the hotel cafe. I fell in love with this place when I first bring my groups of fren for the tea n scone when I saw the advertisement at my hotel we stay in Cameron highlands n we met the boss Mr bala telling us the history of this hotel n let us took photos of the garden n outside the design of the colonial hotel style n inside the cafe n the adjoining restaurant which was nice of Mr bala the boss 3 months ago n I m regular traveller to Cameron cos the cool weather so I always promote on my fb n instagram n blog about this colonial style hotel promote people to come here for drinks n enjoy the environment n take photos to show the people how beautiful this hotel mix with the cool weather of cameron. Today I got the worst treatment by the chubby sarawakian lady staff n grumpy face n never greet us n I went pass the reception n tell her we want order drinks n she just give us the menu at the reception counter to order not inviting us to sit down first n order. After we order while waiting for our drinks as usual customer will took photo around the garden n drinks arrived n while drinking 3.of us went to take photo at the cafe n restaurant as usual is my 2nd time is empty n no customer at all n the the fat sarawak lady staff come n tells us off that under the boss command we r not allow to walk around the cafe in rude non smiling face never say excuse me or sorry u can't walk around the restaurant n cafe to take photos. There 1 Indian lady gossiping behind us with the Indian boy staff speak Indian language n I understand what they say ask r we in-house guest n the indian boy say no we we customers here coming for drinks. What snobbish boss is that don't allow customer to take photos n walk around the garden n cafe n restaurant area n how to promote this place to people? This is my worst visit in my life to this hotel unfriendly n also my last visit n on my blog etc will ask people to stay away from this hotel n cafe where u come here for drinks just have to sit down n cannot move around. I tell off the lady fat staff even my frens were angry with her altitude n tell her off n I explained to the Indian lady about our encounter n the Indian lady says is boss command we cannot simply move around n take photos going to the rooms area only for in-house guest but we r not going to the room area we are just in our cafe n restaurant area n there was nobody dining so is a good chance to take photos n post it on fb. Is free advertising what do u want to expect n not even a thank you n in end we got rude tell off by the staff. By the way we ordered 2 coffee n 4 worst ginger tea should call it sugar tea so sweet cost us rm60 is very expensive but we don't mind the price cos we willing to pay for the environment. Stay away from this hotel cafe. This is my 2nd time also on sunday I visit this hotel just don't know why is always empty no guest around. Mr bala if u don't allow customers to drink at your cafe to take photos than better don't promote your food there. I been to Dubai 6 star hotel n around the world high class hotel n take pics I have never got this bad treatment from your cafeI cannot take photo there.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nikmen N

We remember clearly your visit to our hotel. We apologies for the nasty experience. We have had complaints from in - house guests that people are walking outside and peering into their rooms as such we have a strict policy on not allowing outside guests to walk around. As our rooms all face the outside and garden. We usually ask the staff to accompany them should they wish to see rooms. Nevertheless, photography is allowed in the restaurant, tea rooms and front garden area. We apologize for the service and treatment that you received.