“I don't think I'll go there anymore....”

Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed 6 September 2007

I've been to Bala's chalet a couple of times actually.
At least once a year. I don't know why I kept returning there. Maybe because of their scones......
But after reading all the other reviews, I finally thought that I'm not getting my money worth.
The rooms are terribly expensive, considering no heating, very dimly lit rooms and very musty.
Although recently I noticed that they've upgraded alot of their rooms, but still quite expensive.
But they do have quite a nice garden, reading and tea rooms.
But the reading and tea rooms closed too soon.
Can't they keep these rooms opened until about midnite????
The food is too expensive for us locals. Maybe not for foreigners, but rm18.00 for a plain fried mee or rice????
The manager and his wife do appear quite snobbish, since I've been there quite a few times, not once have they ever tried to make any conversation to us..... weird....
They really should have some kind of special discounts for regular customers.
Unfortunately, we do love their extremely expensive scones, 2 pieces for almost rm20????
So, I've decided to search for scones recipes and make myself a tonne of them when I get home..... and I did!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sconelover

Reviewed 28 July 2007

Every room in the Bala's Holdiay Chalet has similar problems: bad ventilation, musty smell of old furniture, damp bed linen and carpet.
All rooms are not air-conditioned and most of the rooms are old and run down.
As the windows are just next to the bed, we didn’t feel safe to leave the windows opened while we were sleeping. Walkway is just outside the windows, you can hear everyone walking outside while you are trying to sleep. Not only the musty smell in the room made us difficult to fall into sleep, the loud chanting from the loudspeaker of the nearby mosque at 5 to 6.30 a.m stole our precious sleep.
The above are what every guest must experience in Bala’s. But we had some more frustrations during our stay. The electricity power of the whole chalet chipped off three times during our one day stay. Throughout the night, we had no power supply. At one time, cooking gas leaked into our room for a while.
In the chalet, the only two areas you can roam around are the garden and the tea house where you can be charged with expensive tea and scones, RM19 for one person. Cleaning was the excuse for not letting the guest to stay in other areas, such as the lobby (lobby?? I can’t sit there? I can’t believe my ears!) and the library where the floor is warping and it may collapse any time.
On top of that, the service attitudes of the owner and the managers of the place are bad. They are commanding their guests rather than serving. I regretted very much not to forfeit the deposit and spent one night there. For twenty years of travelling experience, Balas chalet is the worst place that I have ever stayed.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank pingapple
Reviewed 13 June 2007

I was so looking forward o my holiday in the highlands and staying at this wonderful sounding hotel. The website enchanted me with images of cosy log fires, fresh cream scones, beautiful rooms, views, and friendly staff.
I have never been so disillusioned in my life.
The fun started on arrival when we were told we could stay in the superior room we had actually booked, or pay more for a deluxe room. That's strange, we thought. So we thought ok let's go deluxe. We paid another 40 rm a night and were taken to our 'deluxe' room'. It was utterly disgraceful. Small, damp with a ceiling covered in mildew. The television was tiny and might as well not have been there as there were only 4 channels with poor reception. The shower was a hand shower and a bucket!!!. The hotel is next to a mosque which starts wailing at a very early hour of the morning and goes on for ages. The room is freezing at night as there is no heating, just damp blankets.
The restaurant was very poor value indeed with the scones that we ordered far from being 'the talk of the town' as advertised on their website, but stale and with a cheap jam and pathetic excuse for cream.
I tried to confront the manager about this but he just stood in front of me, folded his arms and with a huge smile just kept saying 'yes I know, yes I know' He then said that we were racist foreignerswho did not understand his culture and that we thought we still ruled the world!!! I was so shocked at this tirade but felt I couldn't do anything as he is such a big man.
The only plus point about the place is the garden, which is quite relaxing. The rest of the hotel is an utter disgrace.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank Bryan_Bannister
Reviewed 20 March 2007

We are 2 friends who decided to escape the heat of KL and visit Cameron Highlands for a weekend. On recommendation from friends, we found Bala's Holiday Chalet and decided to stay for the night. We do not regret this decision. The hotel, which is built in traditional British Tudor style, is beautifully located with an excellent view, a great English Tea Garden where afternoon tea with scones are served. The rooms we had were large, very clean and with a small "garden" outside from where we could enjoy the view. The restaurant was typical English and was even equipped with a fire place. The food was quite English but we have tasted better. This is was really our only negative experience but still rate the Hotel as excellent. It was well worth RM220 per room/night.
Harald(Norway)

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank brutusOslo
Reviewed 13 February 2007

The situation and initial appearance of this hotel are wonderful. After that it's all downhill. Our room was damp and the en suite shower room comprised a toilet, washbasin, handshower and bucket. Yes, bucket. The bucket came in very handy when my husband was taken sick with food poisoning shortly after eating undercooked chicken in the hotel's British India restaurant. The manager showed no interest in our complaint nor sympathy for the distress we'd been caused and even had the temerity to add the cost of the chicken meal to our bill. Subsequent discussion had this removed.
This manager gives Basil Fawlty a bad name.
It's such a pity because the setting is stunning but the hotel looks worn out; the room towels were ragged and threadbare, the bedding was ancient and grey, the bedroom carpet was stained and ill-fitting. All in all it's a waste of a good opportunity.

Stayed: February 2007
1.1 km away
Cameron Highlands Resort
Cameron Highlands Resort
#1 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!