Lowest prices for your stay
US$217
Hotels.comUS$217
Official HotelUS$217
PricelineUS$217
1,893 results
All reviews golf course spa village gonbei restaurant tea bath high tea afternoon tea jim thompson tea room the main road pangkor laut road noise cameron highlands japanese restaurant trail walk ytl group colonial hotel steamboat restaurant colonial feel
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This resort and it's staff gave us one of the best Christmases that we have ever had. Family was a long way away and so we travelled with good friends to this wonderful area to seek out some pampering and relaxation. Illario Botta and his staff went out of their way to treat us like we were the only guests there. This resort is beautiful, has a great ambience and the added touches of gingerbread house, open fires and mulled wine made this visit unforgettable. We stayed in the junior suite which was superb, especially the added touches of fresh fruit and the staff all greeted us by name. A visit from Santa and stockings was a thrill that was thoughtful and given with such joy. The dining room delivered excellent meals, the wine list is excellent and again the staff were at their finest. Best part? Everything! Thank you one and all for excelling at your jobs and making us feel like part of your family. Bravo

Room tip: Take a suite if you want luxury but the regular rooms are very comfortable and the service is of a high standard everywhere. The road was noisy at Christmas time but we expected that as it is their high season. I see no problems at other times and we were certainly not affected by it.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your excellent review, we are really pleased we furfill your expectation by delivering our personlaized service during your holiday. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

The YTL Group's five-star Cameron Highlands Resort is one of the most elegant hotels in the region, and it was here that I spent a couple of nights. A 56 room boutique hotel, it was rebuilt in 1976 in the style of an English colonial home, and recreates life when the empire was at the height of its pomp. Named among the "Five Best Tea Plantation Hotels in the World" by The Independent (UK) in 2007, it has dark wood panelling, plain white walls, green-coloured lighting, and impressive log fireplaces along with a games room, cocktail bar and afternoon tearooms. It is situated in front of a massive golf course which is open to residents, and has two restaurants and a spa village.

I enjoyed the restrained elegance and refinement of my room. It was decorated in white, cream and dark brown tones, with a wood latticed ceiling, a rotating ceiling fan, and furnished with a king-size four poster bed. It was a tastefully simple evocation of a bygone age and place, and for me as interesting an experience as some of the most luxurious hotels I have visited.

The main foyer, where the tea room was also located, had a grand piano, oriental rugs on polished wood floors, rattan chairs, pot plants and antiques like a wind-up gramophone befitting the hotel's colonial style. This is a fitting place to soak up the hotel's atmosphere, and for the afternoon tea we enjoyed after a long jungle walk, or the wagyu beef burger I had with chunky fries on my last day there.

The library has free Wifi for guests, extensive dark wood panelling and crackling log fires as the evening chill sets in.

Breakfast is served in The Dining Room, the hotel's main restaurant, and was in my opinion one of the best meals we had at the resort. On our first day, I went for a large portion of fried noodles, while Dr G opted for the house waffles - filled with banana butterscotch, topped with strawberry compote and cream and a cinnamon battered, deep-fried mango, it was delicious.

It is hard to think of a more European setting in Malaysia than this, and judging by the number of Malaysian visitors, it is clear that it has become a favourite place for those seeking a refuge from the heat and humidity of the rest of the country.

Another legacy of the British in Cameron Highlands is the tradition of afternoon tea. I can think of few more appropriate spots for this in Malaysia, given the enormous tea plantations in the area.

Following a visit to Boh's tea plantation (see 'What to Do' section below), we headed back to the resort for our 5pm afternoon tea, which included a selection of yummy finger sandwiches and delicate cakes, with local teas.

Having trekked high and low in the nearby forest, we were looking forward to lunch. Cameron Highlands Resorts' cocktail bar serves a selection of European bar snacks, including some British favourites like fish and chips, and club sandwiches.

I opted for a classic American burger with a 250g patty of wagyu beef in a double decker stack served with cheesy fries, homemade coleslaw, pineapple fritters and highland chutney (£12), which I enjoyed.

Fish & Chips was too much of a temptation for Dr G after all the belacan I inflicted on him in Penang, and happily it was as good as that on offer in the UK. The fish was firm and succulent, the batter crisp, and the chips chunky and freshly made (£9).

The Cameron Highlands Resort's Spa Village offers a range of different treatments which make use of a variety of local products, primarily tea, but also including flowers and herbs. There are indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, tea bath rooms and a fully-equipped gymnasium.

I had the three hour Jungle Secrets experience, which started with a soak in a warm tea bath with lemon grass and lemon, followed by a relaxing Malay massage, and a tea-based exfoliating scrub. It was an utterly relaxing experience, and a great thing to do after a day of jungle trekking.

For a more detailed review of Cameron Highlands, places of interest, where to eat and what to do, visit my website at www.thelondonfoodie.co.uk

Date of stay: October 2012
1  Thank thelondonfoodie

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your detail review, we are really pleased we furfill your expectation by making your staying with us a memorable one. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I just spent my Christmas holidays at the CHR last week. The room was very nice. It was spacious and elegantly furnished. My wife loved the bed. Both the Christmas Eve western dinner and the Christmas Malaysian dinner were great. I had a good time and enjoyed my holidays over there.

The staff were eager to help and the overall service level was good. Some of the waiters in the dinner room may need more training.

I also had high tea in the Jim Thompson Tea Room. The tea bag was not enough for the tea pot. I prefer stronger tea. It might be better to make it with tea leaves.

There was no Internet in the room. The wifi in the reading room was slow. It took many trials to post to a blog. The hotel is close to the road. I got woken up by cars passing by many times.

Cameron highlands is nice and cool compared to the majority of Malaysia. It is a nice place to get away from the cities and the heat. The fishes from the rivers nearby were delicious. I also found many vegetables and fruits at the market which I haven't heard of. One example is a purple apple which looks like an eggplant to me.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank chandg
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your feedback which we do take them very serious as opportunity for improuvment, we are really pleased you enjoie your staying in our resort. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We travelled here straight after our flight to Malaysia. Don't fall for random taxi drivers waiting around the exit of the airport. Always go to the taxi desk, it cost us RM407 for the 5 hour journey. The taxi driver stopped off at a beautiful waterfall along the way up the mountain. The people on the stalls were lovely, it was really nice for a quick pit stop. He stopped previous to this as well, at a service station.

If you'd like to travel cheap, getting a coach from Kuala Lumpur city centre is cheap but after a long flight we were not wanting to travel into the city centre and wait for a coach. The hotel organised bus tickets for us upon leaving the Cameron Highlands, which was a good trip and very cheap.

The staff were the best part of this hotel. So friendly and honest.

Upon arrival they gave us crysanthamum tea which was lovely, along with a steamed towel. When we told them we liked this tea, they offered it to us for free on other occasions.

One member of staff even recommended a good restaurant for local food, across the road. We ended up eating here for most meals during our stay. The hotel restaurant is very expensive, I would not recommend it. We had high tea one evening, it was over priced but enjoyable.

Breakfast was good but I'd recommend getting there early else it will be cold. The main breakfast courses were better than the buffet, the buffet was nice for extra bits. In Malaysia you won't find bacon at hotels, it will always be beef bacon, which we were happy with as we are Muslim.

We went on the free excursion, the Jim Thomson Trail. Madi was a lovely tour guide, very passionate about his job and country. We walked through the jungle. Madi told us so much information about the jungles flora/fauna and history of the Cameron Highlands. He also introduced my husband and I to a taxi driver on the way back, who ended up taking us to a variety of places the next day, including the Boh Tea Factory, Chilli Farms and to meet Orang Asli (native people) who taught us how to use a blow pipe. He charged us a reasonable price, we paid by the hour.

The rooms were very nice. The view from the balcony is beautiful, especially at sunrise and sunset. Going out of the room you are met with a walkway that overlooks jungle, so you feel you are right within nature. The flaw of this is you do get some visitors in the walkway, bug wise. At night we often saw little geckos. The hotel treat the floor with some kind of bug repellant, so we often saw dead cockroaches in the hallway, which was a bit horrid as I am a huge cockroach-phobe. But you only ever see dead ones around the hotel grounds.

The rooms look beautiful but upclose there are odd stains on the sofa/cushions. We had a dead cockroach next to the cupboard, by the front door. This was missed by the cleaners, so I had to call someone to come and remove it for me.

The bathroom is pretty but paint work was a little poor.

None of these issues put us off our stay.

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at the resort and feel it is one of the nicer resorts in the Cameron Highlands.

We did not try the spa as felt it was far too overpriced. If you go into Tanah Rata you will see plenty of cheaper spa places, we unfortunately didn't get a chance to try any.

The coy pond is a lovely touch to the downstairs of the resort, as people who love fish, they were lovely to sit and watch. A member of staff noticed us watching and actually brought us food to feed the fish, which was lovely of them.

As we were on a belated honeymoon, the staff got us to light the fireplace in the main lobby, which was a tradition they ask certain guests to do, this was lovely, and made the trip feel more personal.

These areas are much nicer than the cities, i.e. Kuala Lumpur, as the people are so much more friendly, laid back and welcoming, rather than the cities, where people are quite cold.

Highly recommend trying food at the restaurant across the road (you will see coloured lights saying steamboat/restoran from your hotel room window/balcony.) There was a waiter there called Hari, he really made us feel welcome. He recommended some lovely meals for us. If you don't like spicy food make sure you let him know as Malaysian food is often very spicy.

At night in the hotel room you can hear the main road traffic, this can be a problem if you are a light sleeper, but having arrived here straight from a 12 hour flight, it was not an issue for us adjusting to the 8 hour difference.

The best part of the Cameron Highlands is the mist in the mountains which you can see from the balcony. The Cameron Highlands are much cooler than then humid cities. You sometimes need a jacket at night.

Room tip: All rooms face the same view. I'd probably recommend the rooms upstairs to get a view of the mountains in the distance.
Date of stay: August 2012
1  Thank S2I
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed for 2 nights from 16 -18 Dec.

Re Cameron Highlands
Although it was the peak season, we did not encounter very bad traffic. I think it boils down to the day and time of travel. For example, we set out from the foot of the hills about 2pm on a Sunday and traffic going up was not heavy. Same situation when we left on Tues at 2pm.

Re Boh Tea Plantation, try to get there earlier than the tour groups who set off at 9 or 930am. We arrived at 910 and it was crowded but there was still parking available. But when we left the Rose Center which was nearby at 11am, there was a long queue of cars going up towards the plantation. Our driver says, on a bad day, the jams can go all the way down to Tanah Rata down!!

Cameron Highlands Resort:-
Hotel was excellent. Lovely decor and ambience particularly during this Christmas season.
We booked the Residence package which was convenient as we didn't have to scour for food elsewhere. We ate at all 3 dining establishments - The Dining Room, Japanese Restaurant and Jim Thompson Rooms. All our meals were very good and we think, well worth the money.
Service standards were good and we were well taken care of. For example, we did the Jim Thompson Mystery Trail walk provided by the hotel and upon our return, we were greeted with hot towel, slippers and hot tea as we stepped into the lobby. Plastic bags were provided for our muddy shoes and the shoes taken away to be cleaned and brought back to us later in the day in pristine condition.
The spa was excellent. The therapists were attentive and we had good massages and relaxing tea baths.
Rooms were average. But we chose to spend our time in the lovely lounge and library areas where wifi is available.
With regards to noise, we had no problems at all, so you should choose rooms on the upper floor.And if the room is just above the lobby or library, you can get some wifi connection.

Overall, the Resort was great, but CH itself, not so good. Apart from the weather, forests and plantation, there was not much else of interest.

Room tip: Rooms on the upper floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank shez01
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012