Lowest prices for your stay
US$217
Booking.comUS$217
Official HotelUS$217
PricelineUS$217
1,893 results
All reviews golf course spa village gonbei restaurant tea bath high tea afternoon tea jim thompson tea room the main road pangkor laut road noise cameron highlands japanese restaurant trail walk ytl group colonial hotel steamboat restaurant colonial feel
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Rooms are spacious, nice bed, good light. Common areas are quite inviting, two fireplaces, library, full size snooker table at the bar area (although a bit warped at one end). 2 restaurants, the Japanese is a bit disappointing. The main dining is very good. Not 5 star, but nothing disappointed. A little pricey. Wine list, on the surface, looked adequate, but a quarter of the selections were out of stock. Breakfast was good, but erratic with regard to when things would come out. Staff were extremely pleasant, but undertrained. Restaurant manager was a stand out, very good. On the other hand service was hit or miss - one could die of thirst tring to get a drink from the bar. Spa services a bit disappointing.

The only negatives are that rooms look out over parking lot and main road, the latter is noisy at night with motorcycles passing. No wifi in rooms.

With regard to area, there isn't much besides hiking. The strawberry farms are abundant and equally boring. The boh tea tour is 5 min long and took 45 min to get back from in traffic. Golf course is ok, but nothing special.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your feedback which we do take them very serious as opportunity for improuvment, we are really sorry to have not furfill your expectations 100%. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Me and family arrived at CHR on 25th, we spent 4 nights there.

Prior to the arrival, I’ve read many reviews of this resort and hence had high expectations on it.

Upon arrival, I tried my luck for early check-in at 930am and was quite surprised that the room was ready as I was told 24th night was fully booked.
There was a short introduction about the facilities in the resort before we were usher to our room.

Deluxe room - The room is spacious and clean with a balcony, except for 1 day, it wasn’t properly cleaned. Before we were out in the morning, the floor was dusty and when we were back in the afternoon, it was still dusty on the same spot. The room is make up in the morning and turn down in the evening. On the 1st evening, we were out with the bin full of waste and we expected it to be cleared when the housekeeper turn down the room but it wasn’t. The noise level from road is quite bad as me and hubby were awoke by the vehicles DAILY during our stay, as all rooms are facing the main road hence, there’s nothing could be done. The back of the resort is forest, the resort should at least install mosquito net to the window. As my boy was bitten 14times on his face in 1 night and the next day the bites were worsen, it swelled. There isn’t any in-house doctor and luckily we were returning to Singapore on that day.

Bathroom - The toilet is kind of small with no more than 2 adults in it and the wall near the sink is mouldy with few dead insects on each side.The amenities provided were decent, 2 brands of Shampoo/Conditioner and Shower Gel were given (Crabtree & Evelyn and House brand), it was not replenished daily. Once, the shower gels were out and the housekeeper threw away the bottles but with no replacement. It happened to the bottled drinking water, it was not replenished all the time which I’ve to call and request.

Food & Beverages:-

English High Tea @ Jim Thompson – The varieties weren’t much (3tiers of 2 types of sandwiches, 4 tarts and 3 scones & strawberries), scone was good. Tea was diluted (should have 2 teabags with that teapot size).

Breakfast – Food was ok but lack of varieties if guest was to stay more days.

Dinner @ Dining Room – Lobster bisque was too salty, we couldn’t drink without having it with plain bread. In between our meal, Ong (the staffer) asked if everything was ok so we feedback that the soup was too salty. Awhile later, he returned and informed us the soups ordered will be removed from the bill which caught our surprise. We had steaks and with that price tag, we were disappointed with the kind of quality. The meat doesn’t taste fresh. For dessert, we had chocolate lava cake and it was fantastic. It was crowded on that day, perhaps the servers were overwhelmed. The service wasn’t as good as breakfast. We had ran out of water and had to inform the waiter couple of times and also every table was given a basket of bread but ours was left out. We had to request couple of times too as we couldn’t drink the soup without it.

Spa Village – We had the couple treatment, was told tea bath 15mins, body massage 80mins and scalp massage 20mins. However, me and hubby had the same sentiment that the body and scalp massage were shorter by 10mins each treatment than the mentioned duration especially during the back massage, it was slip short. We do like the tea bath and the after treatment service (hot tea and oatmeal biscuit were served) but with the pricey treatment, we expected better.

Laundry – We went forest trekking and the shoes were covered with mud, we sent it for cleaning and it were F.O.C and it came back squeaky clean. However, on the next day hubby sent his White sweater for cleaning, it came back with patches of blue stains. We were offered compensation thou but it’s useless as that was a gift from me for Xmas and it is no longer available. Although the laundry service is provided by external party, the resort should ensure professional service at all times.

Overall, I would say thumbs up for all staffs (bellhop to Manager) in CHR for their attitude as each and every one is willing to go the extra miles to provide their best service. During our stay, we felt like a family and the warmth in them. We will definately return to this resort, even my 9yrs old boy enjoyed his stay. However, the cleaning/serving part could be better with consistency. Hopefully, the management could do something to the noise from the main road and install wifi in all rooms at the soonest. At the moment, guest could only access in the lobby.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank EllaLeow
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your feedback which we do take them very serious as opportunity for improuvment, we are really pleased you enjoie your staying in our resort. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

This resort and it's staff gave us one of the best Christmases that we have ever had. Family was a long way away and so we travelled with good friends to this wonderful area to seek out some pampering and relaxation. Illario Botta and his staff went out of their way to treat us like we were the only guests there. This resort is beautiful, has a great ambience and the added touches of gingerbread house, open fires and mulled wine made this visit unforgettable. We stayed in the junior suite which was superb, especially the added touches of fresh fruit and the staff all greeted us by name. A visit from Santa and stockings was a thrill that was thoughtful and given with such joy. The dining room delivered excellent meals, the wine list is excellent and again the staff were at their finest. Best part? Everything! Thank you one and all for excelling at your jobs and making us feel like part of your family. Bravo

Room tip: Take a suite if you want luxury but the regular rooms are very comfortable and the service is of a high standard everywhere. The road was noisy at Christmas time but we expected that as it is their high season. I see no problems at other times and we were certainly not affected by it.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your excellent review, we are really pleased we furfill your expectation by delivering our personlaized service during your holiday. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

The YTL Group's five-star Cameron Highlands Resort is one of the most elegant hotels in the region, and it was here that I spent a couple of nights. A 56 room boutique hotel, it was rebuilt in 1976 in the style of an English colonial home, and recreates life when the empire was at the height of its pomp. Named among the "Five Best Tea Plantation Hotels in the World" by The Independent (UK) in 2007, it has dark wood panelling, plain white walls, green-coloured lighting, and impressive log fireplaces along with a games room, cocktail bar and afternoon tearooms. It is situated in front of a massive golf course which is open to residents, and has two restaurants and a spa village.

I enjoyed the restrained elegance and refinement of my room. It was decorated in white, cream and dark brown tones, with a wood latticed ceiling, a rotating ceiling fan, and furnished with a king-size four poster bed. It was a tastefully simple evocation of a bygone age and place, and for me as interesting an experience as some of the most luxurious hotels I have visited.

The main foyer, where the tea room was also located, had a grand piano, oriental rugs on polished wood floors, rattan chairs, pot plants and antiques like a wind-up gramophone befitting the hotel's colonial style. This is a fitting place to soak up the hotel's atmosphere, and for the afternoon tea we enjoyed after a long jungle walk, or the wagyu beef burger I had with chunky fries on my last day there.

The library has free Wifi for guests, extensive dark wood panelling and crackling log fires as the evening chill sets in.

Breakfast is served in The Dining Room, the hotel's main restaurant, and was in my opinion one of the best meals we had at the resort. On our first day, I went for a large portion of fried noodles, while Dr G opted for the house waffles - filled with banana butterscotch, topped with strawberry compote and cream and a cinnamon battered, deep-fried mango, it was delicious.

It is hard to think of a more European setting in Malaysia than this, and judging by the number of Malaysian visitors, it is clear that it has become a favourite place for those seeking a refuge from the heat and humidity of the rest of the country.

Another legacy of the British in Cameron Highlands is the tradition of afternoon tea. I can think of few more appropriate spots for this in Malaysia, given the enormous tea plantations in the area.

Following a visit to Boh's tea plantation (see 'What to Do' section below), we headed back to the resort for our 5pm afternoon tea, which included a selection of yummy finger sandwiches and delicate cakes, with local teas.

Having trekked high and low in the nearby forest, we were looking forward to lunch. Cameron Highlands Resorts' cocktail bar serves a selection of European bar snacks, including some British favourites like fish and chips, and club sandwiches.

I opted for a classic American burger with a 250g patty of wagyu beef in a double decker stack served with cheesy fries, homemade coleslaw, pineapple fritters and highland chutney (£12), which I enjoyed.

Fish & Chips was too much of a temptation for Dr G after all the belacan I inflicted on him in Penang, and happily it was as good as that on offer in the UK. The fish was firm and succulent, the batter crisp, and the chips chunky and freshly made (£9).

The Cameron Highlands Resort's Spa Village offers a range of different treatments which make use of a variety of local products, primarily tea, but also including flowers and herbs. There are indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, tea bath rooms and a fully-equipped gymnasium.

I had the three hour Jungle Secrets experience, which started with a soak in a warm tea bath with lemon grass and lemon, followed by a relaxing Malay massage, and a tea-based exfoliating scrub. It was an utterly relaxing experience, and a great thing to do after a day of jungle trekking.

For a more detailed review of Cameron Highlands, places of interest, where to eat and what to do, visit my website at www.thelondonfoodie.co.uk

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank thelondonfoodie

Greetings from all of us at Cameron Highlands Resort. Thank you very much for your detail review, we are really pleased we furfill your expectation by making your staying with us a memorable one. We would like to thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I just spent my Christmas holidays at the CHR last week. The room was very nice. It was spacious and elegantly furnished. My wife loved the bed. Both the Christmas Eve western dinner and the Christmas Malaysian dinner were great. I had a good time and enjoyed my holidays over there.

The staff were eager to help and the overall service level was good. Some of the waiters in the dinner room may need more training.

I also had high tea in the Jim Thompson Tea Room. The tea bag was not enough for the tea pot. I prefer stronger tea. It might be better to make it with tea leaves.

There was no Internet in the room. The wifi in the reading room was slow. It took many trials to post to a blog. The hotel is close to the road. I got woken up by cars passing by many times.

Cameron highlands is nice and cool compared to the majority of Malaysia. It is a nice place to get away from the cities and the heat. The fishes from the rivers nearby were delicious. I also found many vegetables and fruits at the market which I haven't heard of. One example is a purple apple which looks like an eggplant to me.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank chandg
Ilario B, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013