Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 April 2018

Firstly this is a pub with rooms and a restaurant. It isn’t a five star hotel and nor is the price.
The room we had (6) was ample size with a good bathroom. The shower was powerful and the towels large and fluffy. Toiletries were provided. The breakfast was excellent and tremendous value.
The local golf club is opposite and the hotel is only 5 mins from Benllech. We will happily stay again.

Date of stay: April 2018
2  Thank Richard B
SKOwen1, Public Relations Manager at California Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for your very kind comments. We hope you visit us again soon. Many thanks

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Booked last minute for sole occupancy and was able to book a single room. Upon arrival there was nowhere clearly signed as to where to check in and I had to shout "hello" for attention. A young lad appeared after a few seconds and pointed me towards the bar. The bar was busy and it was clear this was the norm and the customers were locals. I paid for my room before seeing it - a mistake - had I seen the room first I would have found alternative accommodation.

I was taken to my room, which is accessed by walking through the dining area, first through an unlocked door, before reaching a locked door which can only be accessed using a key issued to residents only; given the front door is not locked (you can basically come and go as you please and at any time) this made me feel a little safer.

The room was small, however this was not an issue, as I booked for sleeping only. The furniture and bathroom fittings were perhaps 80s retro themed (though I do not think the theme was intentional....); chips and water/cup marks/stains on the drawers/cupboards, and a peach bathroom suite comprising of toilet, sink and very small shower cubicle in very close proximity to one another. I found hairs on the sink and bed, though the rest of the room did appear clean and with fresh linen. The one cup available was chipped and remained unused - though the was a generous amount of tea/coffee/milk left.

Curtains are not blackout and do not reach edge to edge of the window, thus allowing more light through.

Anglesey is a stunning area of the UK - unfortunately the room I had was not one with a view (at all).

When I ran the hot tap from the bathroom sink there was an odd eggy smell, I am not sure whether this was from underuse or there being a problem somewhere in the plumbing. This smell did not come from the cold tap or shower when ran.

If you're booking in advance I would recommend querying the warmth of the room - the single I booked was super hot - thankfully I was out for the evening and able to turn the radiators down. Opening the window would have been an option, however the room is in close proximity to the kitchen and I'm not a fan of cooking (frying) smells in the bedroom.

There is little (to no) soundproofing and I heard pretty much everything from the next room, talking, bathroom, toilet flush, taps on etc. There was also a lot of noise the following morning from other guests walking along the corridor to breakfast/leaving.

The rest of the "hotel" is in need for an overhaul, everything looks tired. I find it difficult to call the California a "hotel"; it is very much a local pub which happens to have rooms available.

I did not book for breakfast and so cannot comment on the food.

I was really very surprised at all the positive reviews found on here and other sites having stayed at California; perhaps I have higher expectations than others.

I did not raise any issues with the staff, I went out and drank enough gin to not really care where I lay my head, and was out promptly the following morning with no intention to return.

I cannot comment on location, as I chose the area specifically to be close to others staying in the area. The California was easy to find from the A55.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank beezlebum
Reviewed 24 October 2017

It would have been nice to know that the California Hotel was also a very popular pub but the noise died down ca 9pm so ok for sleeping. Having to wait at the bar to book in was a tad disconcerting and the room shoed signs of damp but was warm and comfortable if a tad small and basic. The bed was comfortable & the shower & towels were amazing.
Early breakfast no problem either - on the whole would use again.

Room tip: If traveling with young children ask for a room away from bar
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank scotandscandidesigns
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Had been to this pub/hotel when we were last here a few years ago. Seems to have changed with hotel more prevalent. Booked a table and expected to be in bar but we were in small hotel restaurant room. Nice menu- not massive but good choices. Braised chicken breast for me and chicken salad for my wife. Food good. Young waitress very attentive - in fact we were reminded of being looked after by waitresses in Thailand she was so good. We had a really nice evening

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Pretty booked for 2 nights to join friends who were on Anglesey for a couple of weeks holiday. We were pleased with our choice of hotel. There is a decent size car park at the side of the hotel/pub. Check in was at the bar it went smoothly a day we were shown to room. Clean and comfortable if a little compact. Nice comfy double bed. En suite was small but adequate with a very good shower. Nice towels and toiletries provided. Wardrobe is 2 hanging rails and there is a flat size screen TV on the wall. Usual tea and coffee tray. WiFi in room OK. Good selection of drinks including cask ale at the bar with good friendly service. Average prices for the area. £3.10 for a pint of real ale. Excellent breakfast. both mornings. Would stay again if in area.

Date of stay: July 2017