Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$79
FindHotelUS$79
eDreamsUS$75
Agoda.comUS$79
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 April 2019 via mobile

This was a welcome surprise whilst out for a walk. Doesn’t look much from the outside, but inside was a very warm & friendly bar.
Dog friendly & lots of friendly locals.
Menu is limited but food was excellent & great value. Good choice of beers & what we drank was great. We’ll be back!

Date of stay: March 2019

Very small bed room
Comfy beds
Décor needs refreshing
Reasonably priced

But the bedroom was directly above the bar (that started to quieten down at 1.00am in the morning).
To put this into perspective, we have stayed in rooms before where there was some noise, but this was at a different level. You could hear the actual conversations that were going on in the bar below through the floor. The TV would have needed to be turned up to near full volume to drown out the sounds in the bedroom.

With a young child in our room it was impossible to get to sleep until circa 1.30am .... not great.

I spoke to the bar staff about the noise on the evening who were polite and said the noise would eventually quieten down after about 10.30pm - it didn't.

I also mentioned it to staff in the morning and have left feedback on the hotels own website.

They would be better off not letting people stop in the room above the bar - think it was room 5?

Until they soundproof it - it cannot be worth the negative reviews for what could be a nice little hotel.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank VKes
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Just stopped for one night, they were fully booked but we had the static behind pub, beautifully clean , functional , tea coffee kettle and prepared for self catering, though you should try the food as it’s great pub grub , my husband is coeliac and their chips were gluten free
Staff were friendly and polite, this isn’t 5* but no complaints on quality and service many thanks

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2018

Firstly this is a pub with rooms and a restaurant. It isn’t a five star hotel and nor is the price.
The room we had (6) was ample size with a good bathroom. The shower was powerful and the towels large and fluffy. Toiletries were provided. The breakfast was excellent and tremendous value.
The local golf club is opposite and the hotel is only 5 mins from Benllech. We will happily stay again.

Date of stay: April 2018
2  Thank Richard B
SKOwen1, Public Relations Manager at California Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for your very kind comments. We hope you visit us again soon. Many thanks

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Booked last minute for sole occupancy and was able to book a single room. Upon arrival there was nowhere clearly signed as to where to check in and I had to shout "hello" for attention. A young lad appeared after a few seconds and pointed me towards the bar. The bar was busy and it was clear this was the norm and the customers were locals. I paid for my room before seeing it - a mistake - had I seen the room first I would have found alternative accommodation.

I was taken to my room, which is accessed by walking through the dining area, first through an unlocked door, before reaching a locked door which can only be accessed using a key issued to residents only; given the front door is not locked (you can basically come and go as you please and at any time) this made me feel a little safer.

The room was small, however this was not an issue, as I booked for sleeping only. The furniture and bathroom fittings were perhaps 80s retro themed (though I do not think the theme was intentional....); chips and water/cup marks/stains on the drawers/cupboards, and a peach bathroom suite comprising of toilet, sink and very small shower cubicle in very close proximity to one another. I found hairs on the sink and bed, though the rest of the room did appear clean and with fresh linen. The one cup available was chipped and remained unused - though the was a generous amount of tea/coffee/milk left.

Curtains are not blackout and do not reach edge to edge of the window, thus allowing more light through.

Anglesey is a stunning area of the UK - unfortunately the room I had was not one with a view (at all).

When I ran the hot tap from the bathroom sink there was an odd eggy smell, I am not sure whether this was from underuse or there being a problem somewhere in the plumbing. This smell did not come from the cold tap or shower when ran.

If you're booking in advance I would recommend querying the warmth of the room - the single I booked was super hot - thankfully I was out for the evening and able to turn the radiators down. Opening the window would have been an option, however the room is in close proximity to the kitchen and I'm not a fan of cooking (frying) smells in the bedroom.

There is little (to no) soundproofing and I heard pretty much everything from the next room, talking, bathroom, toilet flush, taps on etc. There was also a lot of noise the following morning from other guests walking along the corridor to breakfast/leaving.

The rest of the "hotel" is in need for an overhaul, everything looks tired. I find it difficult to call the California a "hotel"; it is very much a local pub which happens to have rooms available.

I did not book for breakfast and so cannot comment on the food.

I was really very surprised at all the positive reviews found on here and other sites having stayed at California; perhaps I have higher expectations than others.

I did not raise any issues with the staff, I went out and drank enough gin to not really care where I lay my head, and was out promptly the following morning with no intention to return.

I cannot comment on location, as I chose the area specifically to be close to others staying in the area. The California was easy to find from the A55.

Date of stay: March 2018