“Fabulous dining experience!”
Review of iL Massimo

iL Massimo
Ranked #48 of 404 Restaurants in Ensenada
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Description: iL Massimo offers authentic Italian cuisine, focusing on the freshest ingredients and local seafood, in a modern and intimate coastal setting
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Massimo has created a beautiful restaurant and a delightful menu of truly amazing dishes. I started with oysters with a watermelon granita....sweet and salty heaven! For my main dish I had the spaghetti with prawns and was thrilled with it. In addition to being one of the best pasta dishes I’ve had, most of the work had been done on cleaning the prawns so you just had to cut off head and tail....the shell in between (with all the legs) had been removed! We had several Mexican wines and Massimo selected ones that paired beautifully with the Italian dishes. And throughout the evening, Massimo checked in with us to make sure we were enjoying the dinner. You MUST try the place!

Massi M, Owner at iL Massimo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Thank you so much for the lovely review and I am very happy that you enjoyed everything! You will always be welcome back with open arms.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I don't review places in general, but I have to stop by and say that Il Massimo made my day, and some. Simply incredible, yet incredibly simple, Massimo, the proprietor will leave you grinning from ear to ear with his true-to-home Italian soul food. Every single bite was ripe and bursting with flavour, and so delicately seasoned. Service was impeccable - our glasses never ran empty, and the next course was brought out fresh and steaming within minutes of our plates being cleared. Massimo himself is delightfully charming, a true man of the hospitality industry with a passion for creating unforgettable experiences and leaving every client that walks through his door fat, happy, and ready to return!
You haven't seen the last of us!

Massi M, Manager at iL Massimo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

I can't thank you enough for the fantastic review. It was lovely to meet you and Sasha and I hope I helped contribute to a memorable birthday dinner. I hope to see you both soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

Been here 6 times - working our way through the menu. Everything has been superb!...amazingly good! And Massimo is so attentive and has such desire to please everyone! Fantastic Italian restaurant!!!

Reviewed 11 July 2018

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to leave a review of a restaurant. My experience yesterday as a solo diner was divine! I had the octopus, which was not only flavorful,but also succulent and tender! The heirloom tomatoes were so rich and tasty -- and did not need any additional seasoning. I thought I was finished...but NO! I also had the canneloni -- and yes, I managed to eat all three dishes and perhaps I left a morsel on my plate -- not intentional I assure you. I had 3 glasses of the Prosecco as well, which was the perfect compliment to the meal. I know it sounds like I ate a lot -- and admittedly I did...but rather than leaving feeling "stuffed" "sleepy" or in need of a siesta -- I felt invigorated -- happy -- and satisfied beyond my wildest dreams. My plan? Return today -- and bring a couple of friends with me...there were so many other options -- this way we can share (tho I expect to receive the larger portion since it is my suggestion, after all). The building itself, purpose built, is lovely and really lends itself to a long lingering meal with friends. I didn't feel weird being alone. And Massimo -- handsome, and convivial could not have been a better host. I felt like I was in his home. He was super attentive! I also dined alongside the proprietor of Punto Selecto -- anther score! He is the supplier of their heirloom tomatoes, and I feel like I got the double rainbow yesterday! Lucky ME!!!!!

Massi M, Owner at iL Massimo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Thank you so much Andy! I look forward to the next visit! Say hi to Jeff for me!

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 6 July 2018

Massimo gives us the fresher and lighter side of Italian food. With all the fresh seafood available in ENS? WHY NOT? we started with the raw oysters topped with a watermelon granita; and followed that with the freshly made cannelonni stuff with spinach. and then the seared blue fin tuna that came with a side of arrugula salad. This restaurant is a family affair -- massimo was born in Italy and family moved to the USA when he was 13. Born and bred in the restaurant, hotel = hospitality industry - he has lived all over the world and speaks a minimum of 5 languages. my best guess is -- when dad retired, they somehow all ended up in ensenada and opened this lovely restaurant just a month ago. after a fantastic meal, Massimo will treat you to a "digestivo" of his homemade chocolate liquoer or orangecello (sp)....oh... we did have the panne cotta for dessert. everything was DIVINE! this is a do not miss restaurant! and when we walked in today, ran into a lovely friend, that just happens to be a winemaker in the Valle de Guadalupe!

Massi M, Owner at iL Massimo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you Kathleen for the lovely review!! We are all looking forward to many more fabulous times together!