“Delightful!”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Let yourself be seduce by the oldest french restaurant in Mexico in an atmosphere reminiscent of the days of Louis XIV. Delight yourself with our delicious and extensive menu of international cuisine and traditional Mexican dishes, paired with the best local and inter wines. Don't forget to try our famous french pastries.
Reviewed 4 June 2017

Dropped in for an evening meal - and, based on the very positive experience there, dropped in again the following morning for breakfast. French themed but a variety of cuisines available. Ambience, food, and service all excellent - and at a reasonable price.

1  Thank rsfarr
globetrotter60, Director General at El Rey Sol Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Hello,

Thank you for visiting us twice on your trip! Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner so much you decided to come back for breakfast. Hope you visit us soon again.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

The restaurant has a very old world feel. I enjoyed the pastries and the Spanish omelette was delicious. Very attentive staff

1  Thank JandNMc

Hello,

Thank you for visiting us and your kind words. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our pastries and your omelette. Hope you come visit us soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

To be truthful I ( we ) only had breakfast at this restaurant comped with our hotel across the street. Seems like a lot of regulars visit this place and Hotel guests. I have had just as good of a meal ( Breakfast ) At Denny's. Not BAD ! just average.

Hello,

We apologize that our free hotel breakfast was just average, but as you said it was a comped breakfast, and we only offer four simple items. Hope you visit us soon again and try something else in our breakfast, lunch, or dinner menu, we are sure you will find that we are above average.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

What El Rey Sol is most known for are its French pastries and this is what we came in for one fine morning. Sadly enough though, they do not start making these pastries until after about 12 noon! We asked to see if any were left from the day before and there were none. Needless to say this was very disappointing!

We opted then to have breakfast here. We were attended by Ismael who did a pretty decent job. How could it be any other way - the guy told us he has worked there for 25 years. What stands out about El Rey Sol breakfasts is their value. They serve pretty large portions, We ended up paying about $13 each! This included coffee refills and some pastries like chocolate filled ones and some of those Mexican pastries that look like elephant ears.

I ordered the fruit plate since I wanted to eat light as we were going to a paella festival right after eating at El Rey Sol. The only complaint I have is that the fruit plate was full of papaya which is a fruit I simply detest. There weren't very many strawberries in my plate either. They serve the fruit with plain yogurt and granola. Papaya aside the plate was not bad! Most of my friends and even my BF seemed to like the food here. You can even get machaca!

I have tried the pastries here at El Rey Sol and must admit they are good! I'm not so sure about how authentically French they are but like them anyway. One of the most recommended pastries are their "Monjitas" which my friend Lorena B. really wanted us to try. They also serve a variety of fruit tarts and if I am not mistaken they also sell eclairs.

El Rey Sol is on one of Ensenada's main drags. I like the decor here. It's pretty cute. They have a piano player during breakfast which I think is pretty unique - although most of the tunes he played made me ill.Then again I am REALLY picky with my music tastes. Their restroom was pretty clean.

Parking around here can be difficult to find but we have been lucky the two times we came.

1  Thank Empala

Hello,

Thank you for your visit, and taking the time to review us so thoroughly. Unfortunately we don’t serve dessert pastries until later as you found out, however our breakfast pastries are pretty yummy too. We are pleased to hear that Ismael gave you excellent service, as he usually does! Too bad you dislike papaya, but you and your friends were able to enjoy the rest of your meal. Thank you for recommending our famous pastries, and let me assure you that they are authentic French pastries, they are my French Grandmother´s recipes from her time in Paris. We hope you come back soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

The servers were very nice. There was a pianist playing beautiful songs. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. It looks like a classy old French restaurant, which was totally surprising for being in Mexico. It also looked like they had fantastic desserts but we were too stuffed to try them! We basically had a 3 course dinner for only $40.

Hello,

We aim to please, and we thank you for visiting us and for your kind words about our restaurant. We are highly pleased that you found our service and food delightful. Hopefully you will be visiting us soon so you can try our desserts, they really are to die for!